Remote Sump using Apex DOS?

T00LFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a older Red Sea Max 250 AIO. I really like the rounded corners and enclosed hood. I have upgraded to AI primes in the hood to keep the heat down. Near perfect except that for the rear sump. Its too small and the oem skimmer sucks. I do not know if the glass is tempered or not so drilling is not really an option. Has anyone ever used an Apex DOS in water change mode to create a remote sump? I know it seems like an expensive option, but I already have an apex and an extra DOS.

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a older Red Sea Max 250 AIO. I really like the rounded corners and enclosed hood. I have upgraded to AI primes in the hood to keep the heat down. Near perfect except that for the rear sump. Its too small and the oem skimmer sucks. I do not know if the glass is tempered or not so drilling is not really an option. Has anyone ever used an Apex DOS in water change mode to create a remote sump? I know it seems like an expensive option, but I already have an apex and and extra DOS.

One consideration is the rate of turnover. I believe the DOS is limited to 30 gallons per day. I use the DOS for an automatic water exchange with the clean salt water reservoir located 90' away so you could get the water back and forth between the sump and the display, but not sure if 30 gallons a day is adequate to fulfill the filtration needs of a tank that size.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would contact red sea and see if it is actually tempered or not and then u can maybe drill and connect the systems together

OP
OP
T

T00LFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-it doesn’t move enough water

-it’s so loud at max volume you’ll want to unplug it within a day. I could hear mine in the attic…. The dos is in the basement.

-you’d be mowing through dosing heads monthly, if not sooner.
I know it can move like 30 gallons per day, but assuming that's running all the time. I have only ran it a few times and I couldn't actually hear it over my hood fans. Not a quite tank by any means. Now the dosing heads being replaced often didn't occur to me. Thanks for your response.

OP
OP
T

T00LFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would contact red sea and see if it is actually tempered or not and then u can maybe drill and connect the systems together
Great idea. I think Red Sea is a good company, but my experience with them is that they don't support or answer questions on old tanks. Best I got on an answer for this was that they sometimes were tempered and sometimes not. Just depended on what they had laying around. I know others have drilled them with no issues.

OP
OP
T

T00LFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One consideration is the rate of turnover. I believe the DOS is limited to 30 gallons per day. I use the DOS for an automatic water exchange with the clean salt water reservoir located 90' away so you could get the water back and forth between the sump and the display, but not sure if 30 gallons a day is adequate to fulfill the filtration needs of a tank that size.
The way I looked at it...at maybe 20 gallons a day into a bottom sump has to be way better then then the oem skimming going on now. I have tried everything I could find online to improve the skimming, but still either have no skimming or it just fills up with water. Might just be the worse design ever.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I Drilled the living daylights out of my Red Sea Max C130 for a Bean animal overflow. We had to remove the glass pieces that the skimmer sat next to. But it worked great for the 2 years I had it set up. Obviously this would void your warranty. I would double check with Red Sea on the 250 though it might be tempered but I doubt it.
20170816_202523.jpg
20180525_214045.jpg

By the way, those are dual AI Primes as well ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
T

T00LFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I Drilled the living daylights out of my Red Sea Max C130 for a Bean animal overflow. We had to remove the glass pieces that the skimmer sat next to. But it worked great for the 2 years I had it set up. Obviously this would void your warranty. I would double check with Red Sea on the 250 though it might be tempered but I doubt it.
20170816_202523.jpg
20180525_214045.jpg

Looks really good. I think I am going to see if I can pick up another of the same tank(they are cheap now) and that way if something goes wrong I won't be any worse off. Thanks for the pictures.

redsea146

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a older Red Sea Max 250 AIO. I really like the rounded corners and enclosed hood. I have upgraded to AI primes in the hood to keep the heat down. Near perfect except that for the rear sump. Its too small and the oem skimmer sucks. I do not know if the glass is tempered or not so drilling is not really an option. Has anyone ever used an Apex DOS in water change mode to create a remote sump? I know it seems like an expensive option, but I already have an apex and an extra DOS.
I don’t think the glass is tempered...did u drill it?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170816_202523.jpg
20180525_214045.jpg

Well done @JoshH
black ish appearance GIF

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it was a really fun, albeit expensive project. I still have the tank but unfortunately my stocking goals outstretched my tank size so I had to upgrade.
Had to upgrade huh? That is unfortunate... lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back