OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic, thanks Randy! I actually stumbled upon this article yesterday after I received the results and used it to not TOTALLY FREAK out about the .31 ppm aluminum haha...I will give it another detailed read after work!

amsterdam_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are built in china and thise are good quality but you also the fake china ones that known leech aluminium

But aluminium can also come from your handsoap, deodorant, home parfum, air freshners etc.

And so does zinc and some other heavy metals

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have found a different culprit! I was mixing up my next batch of saltwater and when I was done I examined the pump and sure enough it had exposed metal screws on the bottom. Sometimes I would mix the water days in advance and I would just leave the pump in the brute trashcan until I pumped the water to my tank, could this be the cause @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Ironic that I was about to begin a strict water change regimen to alleviate the problem but I may have just made it worse!

For those curious, it was a hygger brand pump.

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have found a different culprit! I was mixing up my next batch of saltwater and when I was done I examined the pump and sure enough it had exposed metal screws on the bottom. Sometimes I would mix the water days in advance and I would just leave the pump in the brute trashcan until I pumped the water to my tank, could this be the cause @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Ironic that I was about to begin a strict water change regimen to alleviate the problem but I may have just made it worse!

For those curious, it was a hygger brand pump.
Here is a photo of the bottom of the pump btw. Looks like a little rust may already be forming on some of the screws (especially top right in the photo). @amsterdam_reefer and others, you guys think this is at least a partial culprit?

20211029_081439.jpg

amsterdam_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some rust but i thought aluminium doesnt rust
I think the screws are stainless steel
I thought rust gives more zinc and tin
It could be the cause rust is never good So a new pump is needed

Use the detox from ocean arts it will help alot for high readings

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, thanks. You think I should dump the 15 gallons of premixed saltwater and wait to buy another pump before next water change?

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of a 'when you have time' thing, I'd also suggest you also start a generic 'build thread' in the member tanks forum to give an overview of your tank as a whole. Not really for deep-dives into problems like this one, but more to chronicle your build and give a higher level explanation of what equipment you have, how everything is set up, your livestock, and generally to show off and show when things change in the system.

First reason is because it's fun to show off, and it's fun to read the threads.
Second reason is because you'll find them useful when you have to reference back on things.
Third is that it also helps us to get a good picture of your system when helping diagnose stuff.

-Hans

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, thanks Hans. I had a local company help me with my install/set-up since I have zero plumbing or handy-man skills so I skirted the build thread since I figured I "cheated." I didn't think about the diagnosing side of things!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are leather corals closed up or do you otherwise detect a problem?

If not, I'd just remove the suspected source and continue with your normal water changes.
Randy,
a font of absorbable knowledge as always. I read you article and helps a lot.
Thank you
I too had high ICP on one tank and nothing on the little sister tank,

671ppb in 180G and 112ppb in the “sister” 90G

one difference is Marine Pure balls and cubes in media baskets. Otherwise same water source and most common brands

I had been replacing them due to structural breakdown slowly, (so as to not to upset too much of the filtration

when i ran to ICP with spiked Al in this tank, I added Purit and large water changes in case the spike was not an anomoly

Have ordered new ICP kits, (toke 18 day turnaround last time) and in the last 2-3 days have pulled out 2 toadstools that went way past the periodic shed.

Never ever lost a toadstool before - and by the way never any growth on the Kenya in hte corner. Noted your comment above. Is Al particularly hard on leathers? And makes me want to pull all the MarinePure product.

Tank is 14 months wet with 6 month cured rock to start with so likely plenty o’ support
Thanks for your consideration

Last edited:

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m now in the same elevated Al boat, but believe it was the phosguard leaching. Yes I have the same media but the real correlation for me is due aggressive phosguard I been running to address a phosphate problem.

the particulate vs disssolved is interesting. The former suggesting once can eventually physically remove it over time with WC and vacuuming, but it doesn’t seem to click for some reason. I ran aggressively in a reactor in the sump and eventually will vacuum the hell out of the sump, but water sample was from DT. Does the particulates really dissolve and thus is detectable in the water sample? If so then physical removal may not be the solution. ??

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just change from using phosguard to using gfo for a while & it will lower the al that way

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m now in the same elevated Al boat, but believe it was the phosguard leaching. Yes I have the same media but the real correlation for me is due aggressive phosguard I been running to address a phosphate problem.

the particulate vs disssolved is interesting. The former suggesting once can eventually physically remove it over time with WC and vacuuming, but it doesn’t seem to click for some reason. I ran aggressively in a reactor in the sump and eventually will vacuum the hell out of the sump, but water sample was from DT. Does the particulates really dissolve and thus is detectable in the water sample? If so then physical removal may not be the solution. ??

"Particulate" in the case of aluminum does not have the same meaning you might ascribe to it as a big chunk floating around that will somehow be removed before an ICP test. The particulate may be too small to see and will be detected by ICP.

What aluminum levels do you observe?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Particulate" in the case of aluminum does not have the same meaning you might ascribe to it as a big chunk floating around that will somehow be removed before an ICP test. The particulate may be too small to see and will be detected by ICP.

What aluminum levels do you observe?

Good to know. I was thinking of visible size from maybe the phosguard bead particles that might have escaped the reactor. Mine is 64 ug/ l. Not terrible high I think, but obviously want to reduce and eliminate

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%

Back