Removing bound up phosphate from curing bin live rock???

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best way to remove the bound up phosphate from live rock in a curing bin. Bought real live rock and put it in a curing bin for a future build and my phosphates are off the chart (Hanna phosphorus checker). Would a phosphate removing resin or Chemi pure in front of the circulating pump work? All suggestions welcome, please!

Have done 100% water changes 2 weeks in a row, but keep seeing the highest reading of 200 ppb phosphorus, which means my phosphate is greater than 0.613 ppm!

derekgoude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in a curing bin not a dt right? Dissolve the lc in fresh water and add it. Any precipitate, clean it from the rock and dump all the water.

After a couple times of that, the rock will be minty.

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in a curing bin not a dt right? Dissolve the lc in fresh water and add it. Any precipitate, clean it from the rock and dump all the water.

After a couple times of that, the rock will be minty.
Yeah, a curing bin. Awesome, will add the LC. Any recommendation on how long to leave it in before doing a water chance and cleaning the rock?

derekgoude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seaklear when I've done it. I give a little splash of it in there, a shot glass amount or so. Really a person could likely dump half the bottle in there to speed it up. I'd give it a week, then water changes it, repeat one more time. Now do a run without the lc and let it sit for a few days and test to see where you are on levels.

For dead, dirty rock I've done a quick muriatic bath first then did the lc bath. Doesn't apply here but good to know. I wouldn't let it sit in the acid too long ~10 mins or less. It'll start eating away on the rock and make it weak. Could dunk it for a couple minutes and check it.

U

User1

View Badges
I think you have some good info here. LC is the trick.

I cured 170 lbs of pukani dry rock a few years ago. It went something like this:

Outside in backyard:
1. Pressure wash
2. place in bins
3. fill with normal water
4. add 1 old power head
5. add 1 cup of bleach (regular, no smell, etc)
6. Let run for 24 hours
7. Empty, rinse, fill up, add another cup of bleach
8. Let run for 24 hours
9. Empty, rinse, fill up with more water, add LC
10. Let run for 24 hours
11. empty, rinse, fill up with more water, add LC
12. Let run for 24 hours
13. empty, rinse, fill up with more water, add LC
14. let run for 24 hours
15. empty
16. pressure wash
17. place in bins, air out for 24 - 48 hours
18. place in tank, aquascape

That was more or less it. You could probably let it sit longer but adding the LC you can see the water turn cloudy right away so I just let it sit in moving water for 24 hours then drained it. I know some drip it into a 200 micron or whatever sock to keep the stuff in there. That would work but I didn't have one to use thus me just dumping it in. I forget how much I used of LC though because I didn't keep great notes...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back