Removing corals from live rock

Reefer79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to remove a lot of my live rock from my tank, however I have corals that have attached to large bits of rock that I don't want in my new landscape. Can I cut them at the base and reattach to another bit of rock or will this kill them? Some are still attached to their original frag plugs but many are not. They are soft corals, I'm worried if I cut the rock around the coral base they will suffer from being out too long, also I didbt want to attach pieces of rock if I didnt have to. Any suggestions?

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of coral?

Cutting the rock and not the coral itself is the safest way. Most softies/coral can stand being exposed to air for 5-10 minutes without worry. If fragging zoas, wear eye protection. If dremeling or using power tools, wear eye protection and a respirator to avoid inhaling aerosolyzed live rock/bacteria.

OP
OP
Reefer79

Reefer79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
What type of coral?

Cutting the rock and not the coral itself is the safest way. Most softies/coral can stand being exposed to air for 5-10 minutes without worry. If fragging zoas, wear eye protection. If dremeling or using power tools, wear eye protection and a respirator to avoid inhaling aerosolyzed live rock/bacteria.
They are all soft corals. We didnt want to cut the rocks because they are beautiful rocks that we can sell but the corals are all attached. Zoas and mushrooms we won't touch as they are all over the rocks, it's the bigger ones like the toadstools and other large softies that I was curious about. They all have a foot attached. If I cut at the base, can I just wedge them back into a different rock? I did that with one toadstool and it recovered since the original post. Wasn't too sure about the rest. I need to find out the exact names. I research them before I buy, place them in the tank according to what I read.. But can't remember names. Lol

OP
OP
Reefer79

Reefer79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of coral?

So I googled what I have, toadstool, leathers, tree coral, colt coral, Kenya tree.. Many others but none that I'm moving. Only these.

Last edited:

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mo

So I googled what I have, toadstool, leathers, tree coral, colt coral, Kenya tree.. Many others but none that I'm moving. Only these.

If you cut the base of the coral they will recover within a few weeks. It is riskier to cut the coral, and you will still have a 'stump' on the rock, but soft corals are very forgiving with being fragged. I would recommend dipping in iodine + tank water solution after cutting, to prevent infection.

OP
OP
Reefer79

Reefer79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cut the base of the coral they will recover within a few weeks. It is riskier to cut the coral, and you will still have a 'stump' on the rock, but soft corals are very forgiving with being fragged. I would recommend dipping in iodine + tank water solution after cutting, to prevent infection.
So these can't be peeled off instead of cutting? I'm assuming if I go this route, someone else will be growing corals off my rocks that I sell then lol

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these can't be peeled off instead of cutting? I'm assuming if I go this route, someone else will be growing corals off my rocks that I sell then lol

Yes! My misunderstanding. You can most certainly peel them off the rock.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back