Removing spirorbid worm-looking shells

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything that dissolves the shells they leave behind? I know they're harmless but theres a buildup in the back of my tunze powerhead and making the propeller fall out of its spinning position. I'm a little frustrated because i spent 40$ last week to replace the magnetic part as it was rusty... Shouldve bought a new one....
I'm pretty positive its a type of these worms because the motor is filled with a thin layer of "white very solid stuff" with maybe 2-3 round "white solid things" with a little brownish hole on the top that strongly resembles these type of worms.

I got most of my equipment used and slowly refurbishing everything. Theyre impossible to scrape off in that little tight space where the propeller goes. I got some of it off with a thick needle but im trying to find a way to do it more easily. In 30 min of scraping I only got maybe 5% off after soaking it in vinegar for 3 hours. White vinegar doesnt seem to be doing much.

Other question : will they start appearing in my new tank now? All the equipment has been dry for at least 48 hours

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any sicce pump clean? It dissolves buildup and things like these

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of ZEP calcium destroyer. Soak your gear for about 30 mins. I use this stuff regularly. Just be sure to rinse all gear really well. Don't spill any on counter or sink surfaces...it will stain.

1609315033856.png

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of ZEP calcium destroyer. Soak your gear for about 30 mins. I use this stuff regularly. Just be sure to rinse all gear really well. Don't spill any on counter or sink surfaces...it will stain.

1609315033856.png
That would work since these worms build their tubes out of calcium but as I said before. Sicce pump clean is reef safe and does the same thing

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back