Replacing Power Supply Port on DC controller

Kris4647

Rare Clownfish anemone aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a DC controller (for an ATB skimmer) that the power port (plug in?) burnt up. I’ve contacted the manufacturer but I’m out of Warranty anyway. So my question is where can I buy the parts to replace

1. The tip of the power cord

2. The port in the controller

I’m going to update with pictures in the morning but for reference it’s the same size as an Mp40 power supply.

94104B3D-4590-43BE-90D1-4DB66CFCDAD2.jpeg BC5CE234-0A30-4E23-B82A-C20D88087D8E.jpeg

OP
OP
Kris4647

Kris4647

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this video has reasonable information that should get you started with soldering,

since you asked about replacing the connectors i kind of assumed you were already comfortable with soldering ;Facepalm sorry. this should be an easy job to learn on though. one word of caution since this is your first time, pay very close attention to your polarities. it's probably marked on the case near the jack but the center pin is usually the positive conductor. and the outside sleeve is usually the negative conductor.
do you have access to a multi meatere? if not here's a cheap one that would work for what you want to do.

OP
OP
Kris4647

Kris4647

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this video has reasonable information that should get you started with soldering,

since you asked about replacing the connectors i kind of assumed you were already comfortable with soldering ;Facepalm sorry. this should be an easy job to learn on though. one word of caution since this is your first time, pay very close attention to your polarities. it's probably marked on the case near the jack but the center pin is usually the positive conductor. and the outside sleeve is usually the negative conductor.
do you have access to a multi meatere? if not here's a cheap one that would work for what you want to do.

Very kind of you. Is there a soldering iron on Amazon that you’d recommend?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of budget did you have in mind? do you think you may do more soldering? i've been soldering since i was 14-15 30+years later the one thing i wished i always had was a soldering iron that was adjustable, and didn't suck. you can get a somewhat cheap iron at lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weller-Electric-Lead-Free-Soldering-Kit/4734289 in store even. not great but it'll get the job done. those cheapos on amazon may work, but use them once or twice you'll probably want to shove it through the manufacturers eye:eek: something like this seems like a decent compromise https://www.parts-express.com/stahl...lled-soldering-iron-station-esd-safe--374-200

OP
OP
Kris4647

Kris4647

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of budget did you have in mind? do you think you may do more soldering? i've been soldering since i was 14-15 30+years later the one thing i wished i always had was a soldering iron that was adjustable, and didn't suck. you can get a somewhat cheap iron at lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weller-Electric-Lead-Free-Soldering-Kit/4734289 in store even. not great but it'll get the job done. those cheapos on amazon may work, but use them once or twice you'll probably want to shove it through the manufacturers eye:eek: something like this seems like a decent compromise https://www.parts-express.com/stahl...lled-soldering-iron-station-esd-safe--374-200

Man I got it done, only burned myself once.

If any beginners read this, buy the helping hands lol.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back