Research Time

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a harem of Pink Skunk Clowns (Amphiprion perideraion) to my reef. I want them to all be in and amongst an anemone. I was wondering what you all would recomend for an anemone. I know they naturally host anemones such as ;
Heteractis magnifica "Ritteri"
Heteractis crispa "Seabae"
Macrodactyla doreensis "Long Tentacle"
Stichodactyla gigantea. "True Carpet"

So what are your experiences and thoughts?

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all of those, the easiest one is a sebae. They will also host BTAs, which are more readily available and not that difficult. Skunks aren't picky.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I don't 100% agree with that @aKelvans says that the easiest one is a crispa or malu. I also don't agree that they "host" BTAs (technically, BTA's host them if they accept). They're also so extremely not picky that they will accept a gyre pump as a host over a non-natural anemone host.

Pick an anemone that you think you like most that's a natural host, and with the right treatment they are probably as easy to keep as any other anemone. It's all about what you do to get them healthy and established when you first receive them.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l do like the Magnifica a lot. l have been reading and l am able to care for it, I’m not sure what “High Flow” consists off. l also don’t know if it will like the spot l think would be ideal for the conditions it likes. But that’s the risk with any anemone really

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with

Heteractis crispa "Seabae" Check out MELEV's Reef video on his skunk Harem - it is awesome

I replicated this in my tank with 5 Skunks poured them right in the nem with a acrylic Tube . 3 months have passed and all is well they only come out at feeding time

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l do like the Magnifica a lot. l have been reading and l am able to care for it, I’m not sure what “High Flow” consists off. l also don’t know if it will like the spot l think would be ideal for the conditions it likes. But that’s the risk with any anemone really

Check my build thread, I just added a H. Magnifica a few weeks back. The keys are: solid cipro treatment, high pedestal rock that has a flat smooth surface, far enough away from another other surface / rock so it can't climb up (most likely won't climb down something unless it hates the spot it's in). I'm giving it over 400 PAR of light, and it has some (not the strongest) flow that keeps it moving all day. It hasn't moved at all from where I placed it in the tank. I used reef epoxy to create a super smooth surface on a flat tonga shelf rock that's 3x-4x larger than it's foot.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with

Heteractis crispa "Seabae" Check out MELEV's Reef video on his skunk Harem - it is awesome

l actually was in contact with him earlier today, both the sense and Magnifica are great choices and both have similar needs. It came down to which ever one l like best will for the bill.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check my build thread, I just added a H. Magnifica a few weeks back. The keys are: solid cipro treatment, high pedestal rock that has a flat smooth surface, far enough away from another other surface / rock so it can't climb up (most likely won't climb down something unless it hates the spot it's in). I'm giving it over 400 PAR of light, and it has some (not the strongest) flow that keeps it moving all day. It hasn't moved at all from where I placed it in the tank. I used reef epoxy to create a super smooth surface on a flat tonga shelf rock that's 3x-4x larger than it's foot.

So they don’t like to bury their foot inside a rock crevasse? l did not know that!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they don’t like to bury their foot inside a rock crevasse? l did not know that!

Magnifica do not like rock crevasse like BTAs. They like smooth flat surfaces as high up as possible. Build a smooth and flat pedestal rock with nothing close enough to them to go upwards on, and as long as the light is sufficient and flow is good, they will be super happy.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back