Researching Tank/Advice

dero13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

new to the forum here! :) i have been doing research into reef tanks for about a month or so now and while i cant setup a SW tank just yet i am planning for the future. i have multple FW tanks now ( i know they are a separate beast lol) but i am looking at fish/corals i would be interested in keeping and seeking advice from more experienced hobbyists! below is a quick and dirty list of what i would want to keep and while size of tank isnt nescessarily an issue i would aim to most likely only keep 1 sw tank. mainly seeking advice of tank size and lighting to be bale to keep a fair amount of the fish/corals im interested in below together. Thanks in advance!

Fish:
Blue/Green Chromis
Banggai Cardinal
Longnose/Flame Hawkfish
Firefish
Six Line Wrasse
Yellow Watchman/Yasha Goby
Oscellaris Clown
Royal Gramma
Sailfin/Midas/Tailspot Blenny
Blue Mandarin

Corals:
monti cap
birds nest
duncan
blastos/scolys
candy cane
torch
pulsing xenia
gsp/star polyps
zoas
ricordea mushrooms

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! For the tank go as big as you can. To have all of the fish you have listed I would say at least 90g. Bigger tanks are easier to handle parameter swings. For lighting it comes down to personal preference and budget. T5 or halide are about as plug and play as it gets though. With LED you get into shadowing, more expensive and not as easy to grow as the first 2.

OP
OP
D

dero13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! For the tank go as big as you can. To have all of the fish you have listed I would say at least 90g. Bigger tanks are easier to handle parameter swings. For lighting it comes down to personal preference and budget. T5 or halide are about as plug and play as it gets though. With LED you get into shadowing, more expensive and not as easy to grow as the first 2.
Thank you! while im not aiming to go bankrupt i understand the upfront costs and want to set up the tank for success so i dont mind splurging a bit on the light if it means it will improve the overall health/enjoyment of the tank. was more so interested in hearing about tank size and 90g isnt far off from what i had in mind so i appreciate your post! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back