Responsible Stewards- Don’t Let The Future Fish Size Prevent You From Getting The Fish You Want

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Magnus. I have the medium one. Great investment. Otherwise very difficult to get the fish out of your aquarium without destroying your rockscape and corals.

Worth every penny!

99DAFBB7-D87D-400C-A399-BFBE447CE8FA.png

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really adding much to this but as a rookie i learned from watching a good amount of youtube videos people buy whatever fish they want to a certain degree. I originally wanted a smaller tank but around 40 gal but am so glag to have a 90 so i can have some larger fish. I mean you always hear people talk about certain tangs out growing there tanks like a yellow but ive never seen a 10" yellow tang. I have a Scopus and a One spot FF in my 90 and the FF grows way faster. I see one day i may need rehome him but thats for another discussion.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really adding much to this but as a rookie i learned from watching a good amount of youtube videos people buy whatever fish they want to a certain degree. I originally wanted a smaller tank but around 40 gal but am so glag to have a 90 so i can have some larger fish. I mean you always hear people talk about certain tangs out growing there tanks like a yellow but ive never seen a 10" yellow tang. I have a Scopus and a One spot FF in my 90 and the FF grows way faster. I see one day i may need rehome him but thats for another discussion.
You sound like a very mature and responsible reefer!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound very mature and responsible!
I just don't understand why people try to tell YOU you can have something because of there unadoptable evidence they have received at one time. Now in my 90 i have kept my fish population down to 9 fish but others will add 10 chromis and act like that's ok. Sure battle of the fittest.

I mean in the end were sticking animals that used to roam hundreds of yards a day into a closed container. So i take what most reefers say about fish stock with a grain of salt. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't understand why people try to tell YOU you can have something because of there unadoptable evidence they have received at one time. Now in my 90 i have kept my fish population down to 9 fish but others will add 10 chromis and act like that's ok. Sure battle of the fittest.

I mean in the end were sticking animals that used to roam hundreds of yards a day into a closed container. So i take what most reefers say about fish stock with a grain of salt. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I think you are spot on about a mature/responsible reefer - it’s about knowing what works in a saltwater aquarium and whatdoesn’t. People can say whatever they want but that true reefing knowledge is what makes reefers successful.

oreolk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends on whether you fish are your pets or decorations in your tank. I have a 320 gallon 7 foot tank and my yellow tangs, Kole tang, bellus angels and Pyramid butterflies are like my children. I would never dream of rehoming anyone. But to each his own.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends on whether you fish are your pets or decorations in your tank. I have a 320 gallon 7 foot tank and my yellow tangs, Kole tang, bellus angels and Pyramid butterflies are like my children. I would never dream of rehoming anyone. But to each his own.

Bingo.

this thread is the reason this hobby should be regulated, irresponsible people hurting animals, but as long as the fish is happy.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo.

this thread is the reason this hobby should be regulated, irresponsible people hurting animals, but as long as the fish is happy.
Not realistic to say that This hobby will ever be regulated.

At least here on R2R, we can educate reefers and help them make responsible choices.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo.

You haven't figured out how things work.
It would be the irresponsible people regulating things.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how people know their fish are “happy” in the small aquarium setting.
Out of interest can you not make a judgement call on the ‘happiness’ of the fish? Does it’s colour, social behavior, eating habits to name but a few things not give you a hint?

oreolk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo.

I don't think regulation is the way to go. We do have regulation in the collecting and importing and you still see cyanide fishing and LFS that don't care about the animals just the almighty dollar. We need to have more responsible fish keepers but sad to say I don't see it happening in this industry. I don't have the answer, I know what works for me. I personally will not keep a Blond Naso Tang my 7 foot tank and I love Nasos. People just need to do the research and stop this idea of rehoming when things get too big. I guess we just live in a disposable society. If it doesn't work, just get rid of it and try something different. And that is sad:downcast-face-with-sweat:

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think mods do need to step in sometimes and regulate when you have a poster who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Example: it wasn't on r2r, but a local forum. A person new to reefing expressed how he loves providing natural sunlight to his reef. So he decided to move his reef to his outdoor patio... in Dallas TX when it gets to 100F under the shade.
I made multiple attempts telling this person that his tank would cook and we all need to be invited for a shrimp boil (he had peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp). He repeatedly argued that he had a fresh water tank in the same patio the year before and the temp never went past 80F and it was under full sun (basically telling everyone physics doesn't apply to him or his tanks).
Needless to say, by June... several fish had died and all his inverts died. Water during the day had shot beyond 90F and I assumed with the high temp, the fish and inverts died from lack of oxygen. Not including the fact that the natural sunlight caused huge algae break out.

Same person also insisted that external overflows were bad and were meant to fail.

Worst part about this was several people who were new to reefing wanted to try the outdoor reefing.
I got in trouble with the mods because I lacked empathy after he indicated his tank crashed and I insisted on a shrimp boil.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think truly "seasoned vets" in this hobby are very few and far between. There are a lot of reefers that have been in the hobby for years and years and dont know much more than a "noob".
Hopefully that’s why the come to R2R, to learn more about the hobby and make prudent decisions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back