Results of Reef Roids?

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just got reef roids and spot fed them for the first time. Im wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences with reef roids? best techiques to reef them? how long until you saw results? if there are any negative results? Anyone willing to show before and afters?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are feeding LPS or some nems, then some selected targeting can be good as long as you don't get it everywhere. These are different from SPS which I see no benefit. I feed my Colorado Sunbursts. Again, don't let your residual levels get too high.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I do agree with others though, don't add to much at once. I see your No3 is at 40 and your P04 is at.25. That should be more than enough for the corals to feed on. I would test both twice a week for a few weeks to get a good understanding of the use of both from your tank and then go from there.
Yeah I think Ill determine whether or not I should feed them when I test the water every week. And also so what some people said of feeding them right before a water change.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are feeding LPS or some nems, then some selected targeting can be good as long as you don't get it everywhere. These are different from SPS which I see no benefit. I feed my Colorado Sunbursts. Again, don't let your residual levels get too high.
Well I have an acan, and a zoa which I think are lps but I also have a bunch of sps corals like a toad stool, a hand coral a green star polyp and sinularia, a meteor, and multiple Kenya trees. I think I’ll try to spot feed them at first and if I see no difference then maybe I’ll just feed my lps.

Upvote 0

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids definitely do something. They will bring a lobo back from the brink, when you direct feed acans they will pop out new little heads like crazy. I recently went a little reefroid crazy and was direct feeding everyday..... not a good idea. I had to much time on my hands tbh I say a good 3 days between feeding at least and a week is better. Also let the reefroids soak as long as you can up to 24hrs in a fridge the best tip I ever got. That tip is from Jake over at where ever that is reef builders.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids definitely do something. They will bring a lobo back from the brink, when you direct feed acans they will pop out new little heads like crazy. I recently went a little reefroid crazy and was direct feeding everyday..... not a good idea. I had to much time on my hands tbh I say a good 3 days between feeding at least and a week is better. Also let the reefroids soak as long as you can up to 24hrs in a fridge the best tip I ever got. That tip is from Jake over at where ever that is reef builders.
Oh thanks for the advise! What will soaking it for 24 hours exactly do?

Upvote 0

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks for the advise! What will soaking it for 24 hours exactly do?
Imo opinion it helps get the micro bubbles out it releases the nutrients and its more digestible for the coral. But don't forget it.... ive found some nasty week old reefroids before. Another tip is mix it up thick and spot feed.

Upvote 0

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those are sps (small polyp stoney) those are soft corals. Zoas are soft, acan are lps (large poyp stoney). I would really take it easy with the RR in your case, you can't target small goopy amounts to those other than the acan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an sps acropora. I am trying to keep alive.

IMG_20211030_194255761.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those are so (small polyp stoney) those are soft corals. Zoas are soft, acan are lps (large poyp stoney). I would really take it easy with the RR in your case, you can't target small goopy amounts to those other than the acan.
Ahh. I thought sps just meant coral with small polyps I didn’t realize that. Is my meteor shower not a small polyp stony?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know? Does it have a stoney skeleton? They name things all kinds of crazy names, so that doesn't tell me anything.
It’s like an acan kind of that encrusts over rocks and has small polyps. Here’s a picture

Attachments

• 566CCFD7-8DCB-45EF-82B4-05847EEF8B47.jpeg
    566CCFD7-8DCB-45EF-82B4-05847EEF8B47.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always put in multiples of the recommended dosage. Better growth but more algae. Algae situation got way better when my fuge started cranking.

However I think live phyto gives as good or better growth without the increase in algae.

Upvote 0

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any links to all these peer review studies? I'd like to read them. One that I read that had Reefroids(RR) in the study had RR having the least impact. I believe that natural sea water changes had the highest impact, which tells me that it's more about bacteria being the food source and coral foods broken down just add nutrients to the system and hence higher bacteria growth that the corals can eat.

So, it's more indirect..........I doubt Acros eat the actual food.

My biggest problems with most of those lab type studies is that there is no fish population and on top of that I doubt they ever have just regular fish food as one of the options to test.

When I have used RR in the past I only use it to raise P04 in situations where P04 has bottomed out. Once I had consistent readings I stopped using it as it just ends up as a pollutant and not a benefit.

These powdered coral foods have been around for two plus decades and aren't anything that is special. The first I remember was Golden Pearls and they just did what many do now...........raise P04 and that's it.

I've been experimenting with dosing bacteria as a food source for the last 11 months and the results have been very positive. The great thing with them is that they are easy to control and don't add nutrients to the system.

If one looks at the science it's all about the coral's symbiotic bacteria eating other microbes/bacteria. This has been known for years as well.
While some lps actually ingest these I use it mostly to keep phosphate and nitrate up from 0. Add some flake to natural food. Same effect. Best use of roids.

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s like an acan kind of that encrusts over rocks and has small polyps. Here’s a picture
Sps, cyphastrea

Upvote 0

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do agree that acropora/ many corals feed heavily on bacteria, which is why powder food wise I primarily use benepets and am a big fan of carbon dosing. I did state above that Reef Roids was definitely not an ideal source of food for acropora.

However, in the study which I believe you are referring to, the experiment tanks and controls were semi closed systems, N/P was kept consistent and the non RAW systems were fine micron filtered which would limit suspended bacteria flocculant in the non RAW systems.
All the studies I have read point to Acropora absolutely being capable of capturing and utilizing the proper sized food items and not strictly just bacteria.

this is a post I made last time JDA was baselessly slamming coral foods. It contains links to multiple studies on the subject

Post in thread 'Caught Acro eating with polyps' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/caught-acro-eating-with-polyps.830833/post-8970867
Do you carbon dose at the farm?

Upvote 0

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you carbon dose at the farm?
If we did that we would have make major increases to nitrate and phosphate dosing, some of the farm systems can go from 0.10ppm to 0.02 within 24hrs, esp if glass is getting dirty or the fish got fed lighter than usual. Some lighter coral stocked systems can run higher in P, I usually use benepets to feed them as I will sometimes see a drop in P after feeding it, it contains many strains of hetrotrophic bacteria as well as a bit of corn starch which should breakdown and act as a carbon source too, theoretically- those bacteria uptake available N/P and essentially become a potential food item packed with nutrient and some of it will get consumed by coral, however more than likey the majority is removed via mechanical and skimmers, so only a fraction will be utilized by coral.

While absolutely not necessary to use in order to have a successful sps tank, the notion that suspended coral foods offer no benefit/ acropora dont readily feed on particulate matter, planktons, bacteria flocculant etc etc is madness.

Used correctly (I believe and have observed) that feeding acropora can increase growth rate ,resilience and coloration.
Their growth pattern/ branch arrangement is evolved to enhance particulate food capture!

Interesting, light read, article by Vincent Chalias on feeding corals regarding that

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back