Results of Reef Roids?

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just got reef roids and spot fed them for the first time. Im wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences with reef roids? best techiques to reef them? how long until you saw results? if there are any negative results? Anyone willing to show before and afters?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really increase phosphate so use sparingly. I use them only every 3 weeks or so. Reef chili seems better to me but still high phosphate. I mainly use oyster feast and red sea AB plus. I also broadcast feed frozen food daily and phytoplankton daily.

Upvote 0

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely noticed brighter colors after i started feeding. Just be careful and use it sparingly. It has the highest phosphate contents of any coral food but thats also why its one of the best. Id start with 1/8-1/4 the recommended dose once a week and make sure to monitor phosphates. Do not test phosphates within the first 3-4 days after feeding as youll get a false reading. It stays in the water column for quite some time due to how fine it is. Its best to feed right before a water change, and i recommend direct feeding while the pumps are off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If feel it's a great product when used correctly. I'm not sure what you're expecting from it specifically?

I feed near or after lights out. I broadcast feed (acropora with a few sps) and have a feed setting on my apex to kill all flow for 10 minutes, skimmer for 30.

When I'm using it I use it about 1x a week. I usually decide to start feeding it when my tank is struggling with nutrients because it's known to raise po4.

If you really want to see what it does to your tank, ease into it and watch you po4/nutrients.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If feel it's a great product when used correctly. I'm not sure what you're expecting from it specifically?

I feed near or after lights out. I broadcast feed (acropora with a few sps) and have a feed setting on my apex to kill all flow for 10 minutes, skimmer for 30.

When I'm using it I use it about 1x a week. I usually decide to start feeding it when my tank is struggling with nutrients because it's known to raise po4.

If you really want to see what it does to your tank, ease into it and watch you po4/nutrients.
Well ive heard people say that once they started using reef roids theyr coral had grown faster and had more color. im just trying to see how much of an improment there is. i want to start feeding once a week too and i will keep an eye on po4 and no3 to see how much it effects it.

Upvote 0

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ive heard people say that once they started using reef roids theyr coral had grown faster and had more color. im just trying to see how much of an improment there is. i want to start feeding once a week too and i will keep an eye on po4 and no3 to see how much it effects it.
Gotcha, you're going about it the best way. The key to it, and hard part that I struggle with, is being consistent and changing only that addition to your system for a few months to really see what that alone is doing. Keep us posted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, you're going about it the best way. The key to it, and hard part that I struggle with, is being consistent and changing only that addition to your system for a few months to really see what that alone is doing. Keep us posted.
Will do, I'll post how my coral look on my build tread and maybe post them once or twice a week. Thanks for the advise.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 2x/week at probably 1/4-1/2 the recommended dose. I use one of those long feeder tubes to get it over the corals I'm feeding and run a powerhead to ensure they get evenly distributed in the tank. I also turn off my pump/filtration for at least 30 minutes,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 2x/week at probably 1/4-1/2 the recommended dose. I use one of those long feeder tubes to get it over the corals I'm feeding and run a powerhead to ensure they get evenly distributed in the tank. I also turn off my pump/filtration for at least 30 minutes,
yeah im getting a thinner longer feeder tube tomorrow. today i fed them with a regular one that i reef my fish with whichis too short and releases too much at once.

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although it may be anecdotal, in addition to the actual ingredients of the various coral food powders there seems to be a difference in how long they stay in the water column so that may be a consideration. On a lighter note, my Aiptasia seem to really like reef roids! :oops:

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that you will see much difference. It is unlikely that your acropora can catch and use them directly, but somelike Poci might be able to. In the end, something will break them down and the corals might get a shot at some ammonia from whatever eats them. You could just dose ammonia/ammonium directly and skip the other stuff.

I see no downside if you residual N and P levels are not high. If they are, then I would avoid stuff like this. This has been true of all of the here-and-now supplements over the years where people swear about their virtues for a while and then they become a punchline in forum jokes when they go out of style. The truth is that nearly none of them really do much. Search for DTs Phyto, Oyster Eggs, etc. and see the thousands who swore that they worked only to see very few use them now.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just got reef roids and spot fed them for the first time. Im wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences with reef roids? best techiques to reef them? how long until you saw results? if there are any negative results? Anyone willing to show before and afters?

It's super potent and can easily be overdosed causing harm from a nutrient spike. I am not sure you will see any different results then just feeding the fish.

Reef roids.. is however.. stinky stuff and a great way to get sun corals or LPS feeding tentacles out so you can give them something with more meat to it like mysis.

Upvote 0

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that you will see much difference. It is unlikely that your acropora can catch and use them directly, but somelike Poci might be able to. In the end, something will break them down and the corals might get a shot at some ammonia from whatever eats them. You could just dose ammonia/ammonium directly and skip the other stuff.

I see no downside if you residual N and P levels are not high. If they are, then I would avoid stuff like this. This has been true of all of the here-and-now supplements over the years where people swear about their virtues for a while and then they become a punchline in forum jokes when they go out of style. The truth is that nearly none of them really do much. Search for DTs Phyto, Oyster Eggs, etc. and see the thousands who swore that they worked only to see very few use them now.

We use phyto and oyster eggs in our acropora farm tanks and seem to have pretty great results.

20210504_180524.jpg

There are also a few peer reviewed/ published studies that I have posted in the past that proved additional particulate suspended foods/feedings do benefit Acropora and other SPS, phyto, rotifers and oyster eggs included

One of which studies, specifically involves the use of Reef Roids, while Im not a big fan of RR for SPS, it does show small positive results in fore mentioned study.

To make myself clear -
They are absolutely not necessary to be successful in a home reef aquarium, but to say its all just a fad and have zero benefit is pretty outrageous, considering oyster eggs and phyto have been around for more than 15 years and are still being used, not just by hobbyists, but us ornamental farmers as well as biologists that work in coral restoration and breeding projects.

You sound like a broken record on this topic, despite not being able to post anything backing up your claims with reputable sources

At least this time, you didn't sound like you were stating things "in a matter of fact" type of way like you used to.

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably best suited to LPS (scolymia, fungia, micromussa, etc...) that have a strong feeding response.

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...still waiting for a tank of your own to show better results than I get and not a work tank. Until then, people can look at both of our build threads and judge for themselves. At least my opinions are based on a hobby tank in my own home where I practice what I preach.

Upvote 0

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...still waiting for a tank of your own to show better results than I get and not a work tank. Until then, people can look at both of our build threads and judge for themselves. At least my opinions are based on a hobby tank in my own home where I practice what I preach.
Oooh ouch !

Heater bursting pretty much killed my system,

Also when spending 40+ hrs a week taking care of 25 different systems, I dont have much incentive to put much effort in mine on my free time and have started dismantling it

I oversee testing, dosing, coral food additions and maintenance to all of those "work" systems with the help of a great team of people that I work with.
I practice what I preach in every one of them
Point is, there is published literature and peer reviewed studies that go against a lot of what you spew on here about coral foods in captive systems.

Try again

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back