Retractable Hose Reels?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is for those who run hoses across the house to their tank for filling top off containers or to perform water changes. Is anyone using a retractable hose reel to store your hoses? If so, which do you recommend?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a hose reel for this reason but I would stay away from any metal ones since saltwater probably wouldn't play nice.

Home Depot or Lowe's both have several heavy duty plastic reels that aren't too expensive that would probably suffice.

Buggs1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is for those who run hoses across the house to their tank for filling top off containers or to perform water changes. Is anyone using a retractable hose reel to store your hoses? If so, which do you recommend?
I’m trying to do the same thing in my aquatics lab.

Buggs1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a guy who replaced this retractable hose with 100’ of Python hose. I was wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Power Retractable Hose Reel 1/2" x 100 ft, Super Heavy Duty, 500 PSI Burst Strength, 3 Layer Hybrid Hose, Slow Return System, Exclusive Twist Collar and The Patented Nozzle Protector

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming there aren't any metal fittings in the hose, I'd say give it a shot. I moved apartments and haven't setup my new tank yet. Interested in knowing how this works out

Buggs1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found instructions for replacing the hose on this brand. Just leave out the anti-kink spring.

gary henkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brs has just such a unit on the water mixing station featured in their salt water mixing mistakes video. any idea what brand they used or how they modified it.

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread from way back. I'm looking to do something similar to what BRS has and was wondering if anyone has tried anything similar?

Sharkman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like this? I got the cheapest hose reel I could find and replaced the hose with a python. It is down stairs in the heater area behind a door next to a floor drain. I only use this to drain water not fill. This one only holds 50ft of python.

204B7E30-3321-4B4A-BE89-ECDFA22B3948.jpeg

Last edited:

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea sort of. How did you replace the hose with the python? Does it still retract?

U

User1

View Badges
I believe it was already mentioned but most use whatever the cheaper but reliable base retractable unit then DIY out the hose. I reached out to BRS to see what information they could provide and they didn't really keep a parts list. Just said they use a base unit like below, use the included hose for waste water, DIY replace clean water with vinyl tubing for saltwater, and that is more or less it.

My plan is to follow this trying to find 100 feet or so of either vinyl or silicon tubing that is food grade or otherwise safe to use. The challenge is finding it at an affordable price if possible with a 1" inner diameter sizing.

Sharkman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea sort of. How did you replace the hose with the python? Does it still retract?
It comes with instructions on how to replace the hose. This one comes what seems to be propitiatory connections, just removed them and used on python inside of reel, yes it still retracts

U

User1

View Badges
What hose are you using and what is the inner diameter? Only reason why I'm asking is because that seems one of the higher cost items during the setup. I was thinking beverage or home brewing sources may be cheaper but not seen it yet.

JaredC3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just completed a retractable hose reel python swap using the reel below found at a local Lowe’s. Pretty simple even without instructions, but maybe this will help someone.

Ames NeverLeak Wall Mount Hose Reel

Necessary Equipment
Phillips head screwdriver
2x zip ties

1. Remove the hose retraction stop from currently installed hose.
2. Pop off the two side panels.
3. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the middle/top panel in place.
4. Pull about 10-20ft hose out at a time, followed by loosening up the spring with the crank on right hand side by spinning counter-clockwise. Repeat until all hose is out.
5. Use a zip tie to hold the reel in a convenient position and avoid losing a finger. Plenty of options where you could stick it, just so it goes through the housing and reel.
6. Cut zip tie holding the factory hose to the reel, loosen metal hose clamp and remove hose.
7. Replace factory hose with python and basically just go through the previous steps in reverse. Be careful with that metal hose clamp though, I added a dab of hot glue on the sharp edges once fastened to avoid potential cuts and nicks.

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just completed a retractable hose reel python swap using the reel below found at a local Lowe’s. Pretty simple even without instructions, but maybe this will help someone.

Ames NeverLeak Wall Mount Hose Reel

Necessary Equipment
Phillips head screwdriver
2x zip ties

1. Remove the hose retraction stop from currently installed hose.
2. Pop off the two side panels.
3. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the middle/top panel in place.
4. Pull about 10-20ft hose out at a time, followed by loosening up the spring with the crank on right hand side by spinning counter-clockwise. Repeat until all hose is out.
5. Use a zip tie to hold the reel in a convenient position and avoid losing a finger. Plenty of options where you could stick it, just so it goes through the housing and reel.
6. Cut zip tie holding the factory hose to the reel, loosen metal hose clamp and remove hose.
7. Replace factory hose with python and basically just go through the previous steps in reverse. Be careful with that metal hose clamp though, I added a dab of hot glue on the sharp edges once fastened to avoid potential cuts and nicks.
Question, it says the inner portion is aluminum… won’t that be an issue long term with saltwater use?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back