Return line plumbing

DanATL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm plumbing my return line and pondering whether my ball valve should go before or after my manifold. The manifold branches off the return line. I'm thinking the valve should be after the manifold rather then before it so when I close the valve there won't be any back siphoning through the manifold. So the question is which is the best rig : 1) pump --> manifold --> ball valve --> tank OR 20 pump --> ball valve --> manifold --> tank ?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just put a ball valve on each manifold output? I have done all of my manifolds that way, never a ball valve before unless maybe you are only putting one out to feed a reactor.

OP
OP
D

DanATL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just put a ball valve on each manifold output? I have done all of my manifolds that way, never a ball valve before unless maybe you are only putting one out to feed a reactor.
Yup, I'll have a ball valve feeding each of the two reactors off the manifold. I want to be able to shut down the siphoning from the DT when I turn off the pump. If I turn off the pump and close the ball valve on the main return the system will still back flow through the manifold unless I turn off the reactor valves if the main return valve is upstream of the manifold. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I'll have a ball valve feeding each of the two reactors off the manifold. I want to be able to shut down the siphoning from the DT when I turn off the pump. If I turn off the pump and close the ball valve on the main return the system will still back flow through the manifold unless I turn off the reactor valves if the main return valve is upstream of the manifold. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs?

I would always make sure your sump has enough room for any siphoning as crap always goes down when you least expect it. You can install basic flapper stops, that’s what I use but they need to be maintained like anything else, if it’s for actual maintenance reasons feel free to add a ball valve after the manifold between the tank.

I just buy an extra set of these, when they need to be cleaned I swap out the centers with the spare set and clean of the others for later.

0F052D75-3E51-494E-BB51-331B6F240FE2.jpeg

IMO less is more when it comes to plumbing, especially for somebody like me who travels and may have to explain to somebody on a recovery plan over the phone if things were to go bad

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back