Return Pump Longevity

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an idea you can expect the Ecotech Marine Vectra M2 to run?
They’re a crapshoot. They’re one of the most popular consumer grade pumps here since there aren’t a lot of options like in the US or Europe, so we have a lot of experience with them. They might last a few years, or they might fail after a few months. They will fail, generally in the first 3 years. It might not be a permanent failure but you’d better be around to catch it. If you’re going to use them, run two.

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re a crapshoot. They’re one of the most popular consumer grade pumps here since there aren’t a lot of options like in the US or Europe, so we have a lot of experience with them. They might last a few years, or they might fail after a few months. They will fail, generally in the first 3 years. It might not be a permanent failure but you’d better be around to catch it…
Thank you appreciate the advice.

DarkZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your use case I’d recommend Iwaki for sure, not a DC pump.
I had 3 reeflo before Abyzz, 1st one leaked right after the install, 2nd one leaked within 2 years, 3rd was for backup and I'm no longer interested on installing it one more time. I even switched out bearings for repairs and they didn't last or even worked.

I feel much safer with the pump inside the sump after Abyzz, and I have Deltec skimmers and reactors, all out lasted my main pumps, considering they are also German built with a reasonable price, I'm gonna give them a try instead.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had my Abyzz A400 died on the 22nd, perfect timing before our hosting for the Christmas, It did run for 7 years so I'm not complaining. Still waiting on Germany to see if they can warranty my pump.

Meanwhile I have ordered 2x Deltec E Flow 16, one for backup, one for testing. A400 did have a good pressure pushing up from my basement to the main floor, but I had to dial it down due to the flow was too much.
For the price of those pumps, I would (honestly) expect overnight replacement service to an original owner for 10+ year no questions warranty. A pump is a pump for the arguments sake, some better or worse, but at 10x the cost, it should have at least 5x the warranty and replacement.

DarkZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price of those pumps, I would (honestly) expect overnight replacement service to an original owner for 10+ year no questions warranty. A pump is a pump for the arguments sake, some better or worse, but at 10x the cost, it should have at least 5x the warranty and replacement.
Considering my experience with the reeflo, my expectation was pretty low at that time. lol
If you read their fine print, they want you to register their pump within 4 weeks of purchase by mail/fax in order to receive the 10 years warranty....I'm not sure if they are serious about this registration process, and I don't know how many ppl actually read that...

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furthermore, why do you think all these AC pump companies are still in business? It’s because they’re the most reliable pumps in the world, with several decades of operational history. That doesn’t exist with DC pumps. DC stuff is consumer grade, which means it’ll break and you’ll have to replace it every few years (which, btw, probably nullifies any supposed savings on electrical costs). Abyzz is the closest there is to a commercial grade DC pump but it still doesn’t have widespread adoption because it just hasn’t existed long enough so it doesn’t have a track record measured in the decades.
Correct - AC pumps (be they split capacitor, induction start, or whatever) are extremely simply machines. They have no electronics to burn out.

Brushless DC pumps have a power supply and fairly complex electronics that are the common failure point. True commercial quality BLDC motors are extremely expensive. That is why commercial pump manufactures like ReeFLo don't use them.

FWIW - I have a 10+ year old ReeFlo Dart Gold on original seals... I am sure I am jinxing myself right now... but still going strong. I have looked for a replacement for a long time, but just can't makeup my mind. The higher end DC pumps are super expensive and don't offer much in turn for that cost compared to a the china standard models.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering my experience with the reeflo, my expectation was pretty low at that time. lol
If you read their fine print, they want you to register their pump within 4 weeks of purchase by mail/fax in order to receive the 10 years warranty....I'm not sure if they are serious about this registration process, and I don't know how many ppl actually read that...
Curious to see how they treat you, registration or not. If they stick to the fine print I will not be impressed (again given the cost).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back