Return pump options for remote sump

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for information on a handful of various return pumps for a remote sump that I'm planning to add to my tank.

Return line 1 will have ~4 ft horizontal run with ~3 ft vertical distance, add in some 90s.

Return line 2 will have ~8.5 ft horizontal run with ~3 ft vertical distance, add in some 90s.

One of the return pumps is going to feed a manifold that supplies 1. carbon reactor, 2. phosphate reactor as needed, 3. UV sterilizer.

Looking at the options for pumps that aren't outrageously expensive to do this.

Any input into the following pumps based on user experience?
A. Jebao DCP 15000 x2
B. Red dragon 3 (100W). The most expensive in my list. Would prefer not buying two of these if I can.
C. Vectra L2 x2
D. Anything from Sicce?
*Looking to stay away from external pumps at this point. Would put Iwaki pumps on, although I'm not too excited about 337 watts per pump continuously with the smallish Iwaki 70.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there is a Varios 10 coming as well, rated as high pressure, for up to 29.5 ft max head height. This might be a nice option, although it looks like it was announced in the summer and still can't find them for sale anywhere.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I will run 1.25" return lines. Can I Tee a manifold off of one of the return lines and downsize the manifold to 3/4", and let the output of the manifold drain back into the sump? Originally intended to run one of the return pumps through a manifold and the output of the manifold to the tank, but I've got all the fittings to make a 3/4" manifold. Now I might change my mind on the return line sizing to match up to the outlets of most of these pumps.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for information on a handful of various return pumps for a remote sump that I'm planning to add to my tank.

Return line 1 will have ~4 ft horizontal run with ~3 ft vertical distance, add in some 90s.

Return line 2 will have ~8.5 ft horizontal run with ~3 ft vertical distance, add in some 90s.

One of the return pumps is going to feed a manifold that supplies 1. carbon reactor, 2. phosphate reactor as needed, 3. UV sterilizer.

Looking at the options for pumps that aren't outrageously expensive to do this.

Any input into the following pumps based on user experience?
A. Jebao DCP 15000 x2
B. Red dragon 3 (100W). The most expensive in my list. Would prefer not buying two of these if I can.
C. Vectra L2 x2
D. Anything from Sicce?
*Looking to stay away from external pumps at this point. Would put Iwaki pumps on, although I'm not too excited about 337 watts per pump continuously with the smallish Iwaki 70.
I've got the scp 18000 and it was running a high turnover 180, Plus the entire manifold of gear at about 80%

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know reducing tee fittings were a thing. Maybe I should go this route instead and keep the plumbing on one of the returns as 1-1/4" to in-line manifold with reducing Tees that drop to 3/4" lines (already have all the 3/4" ball valves). Would that make more sense? Otherwise I had just ordered a 1-1/4" Tee with 1-1/4" to 3/4" reducing coupler to Tee off a 3/4" manifold and let it drain back into the sump.

1671424704012.png

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Sicca ADV 10.0 has been working great for my 270 with basement sump. Though it isn't silent, it's reasonably quiet. Their SDC line is likely much quieter.

I'd pass on the Abyzz. I just don't see the cost:benefit ratio working in your favor. I think Abyzz shines for when high head and silence are required, but your application is well within the ability of many good pumps that are generally considered silent to quiet.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I ordered the reducing tees so the plumbing will have to get put on hold until a few orders come in. Jebao looks like the best option tbh. $170ish for a DCP 15000 seems like a steal, at least to get started.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two cents' worth - I've been using a Jebao DCP18000 for over four years now. Picked up a spare in 2018 to swap out for my annual cleaning or if any problems arise. No issues whatsoever with this pump. Running a 300 gallon in the family room with the sump in the basement and a room over - just about a 25 foot run of 2" flex pvc running to the reef where I "Y" it off to two 1" returns.
It's been worth every penny I paid for it as a super reliable, low maintenance pump. It has survived multiple power surges and failures, been run on generator for hours on end, and still keeps on working. And I don't use it to its full power.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Ray:cool:

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! I use their powerheads and no complaints. Can't imagine the returns are different. Some of the best powerheads out there for the price.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with either or both Jebao DCP 10000 or DCP 15000 can comment on the outlet plumbing sizing and what the pumps come with? Difficult to find online. Looking to plumb into 1-1/4" PVC.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updating thread for future thread searchers.

I plumbed in (2) Jebao DCP-15000 return pumps to 1-1/4" PVC. The return lines reduce to 3/4" near the tank. The manufacturer's specs recommends return pump flow rate of 1700-3400 gph for my tank. With both returns at the minimal setting of 30% power, the overflow fills to the emergency, tertiary, drain. There is definitely no lack of flow. One of the return lines I will be able to divert some flow to a UV later and maybe a fuge/ATS section. If that isn't enough to back flow off the DT, then I will have to add a valve at the pump and throttle it back further, or grab a different second return pump that isn't as strong. There aren't any powerheads in the tank yet either which tends to push more water into the overflow.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updating thread for future thread searchers.

I plumbed in (2) Jebao DCP-15000 return pumps to 1-1/4" PVC. The return lines reduce to 3/4" near the tank. The manufacturer's specs recommends return pump flow rate of 1700-3400 gph for my tank. With both returns at the minimal setting of 30% power, the overflow fills to the emergency, tertiary, drain. There is definitely no lack of flow. One of the return lines I will be able to divert some flow to a UV later and maybe a fuge/ATS section. If that isn't enough to back flow off the DT, then I will have to add a valve at the pump and throttle it back further, or grab a different second return pump that isn't as strong. There aren't any powerheads in the tank yet either which tends to push more water into the overflow.
I'm not sure why people recommended two 15000s if you only needed 2-3000 gph. You've only got about 5 feet of head - so they're probably capable of doing 3500 each. Even down at 30% (which isn't really 30% of flow) - they're probably more than you need.

Are you running dursos or siphon overflows?

How long has it been up? Not long, right? Drains seem to flow a little better after a couple weeks of sliming up.

You might need a frag tank to divert some of that flow to :p

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I like my RD3's so that's my recommendation.
I use a 100 watt for my return on my 240 and a 150 watt for a closed loop.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why people recommended two 15000s if you only needed 2-3000 gph. You've only got about 5 feet of head - so they're probably capable of doing 3500 each. Even down at 30% (which isn't really 30% of flow) - they're probably more than you need.

Are you running dursos or siphon overflows?

How long has it been up? Not long, right? Drains seem to flow a little better after a couple weeks of sliming up.

You might need a frag tank to divert some of that flow to :p
I think so! I'm leaving one of the pumps off until I fully move over the holding tank and add the UV and whatnot. I can probably aim to push 500-1000 gph through the UV alone. I also have a valve off the manifold to put through to an ATS/fuge type of area, so I can always open that as much as needed to recirculate water back to the sump rather than the DT.

The drains are siphon type. But I definitely agree, with what I thought was a remote sump and lots of fittings and turns doesn't affect that pump in the least.

On an old tank I used to run a Vertex skimmer with a Red Dragon pump. I'd say these Jebao's are on a similar level as those RD pumps. If they last for several years there is no reason to pay a premium for those. That's at least my initial impression.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back