Return Pump Video

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JohannesFFM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi BRS,
first of i love your videos. Watch every one of your posts on youtube. Could you do an investigate episode about return pumps? I have a triton tank that requires 10x flow. recently i qot an apex flow modul on my reefer 250 and vectra m1. i changed the plumbing from my reefer to 3/4 including the return nozzle from reefer 450. only @ 100% and 80 Watts i get 2000l/h flow.

Now i have read every thread about return pumps but could t find a detailed comparison between different return pumps. i would love for you to test a abyzz A100, RE Speedy 50w, Vectra M1, Core20 and some cheap pump. Things that would be interesting: gph, gph with some headpressure eg plumping, noise, controllability, heat (my vetra m1 is heating my tank lol).

All these pumps have different price points and different features. i would love for some more information because the manufacturer flow charts doesnt seem to match the real world flow we get from our pumps.

Kind Regards Johannes

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind for testing or installation. When using a turbine flow meter, the accuracy will be determined by proper installation. Typical guidelines would require 10 pipe diameters of straight pipe upstream and 5 pipe diameters of straight pipe downstream. Outside of that, you could install the same meter in various spots throughout your piping and get varying results on the same installation. Add in elbows at different planes and the upstream piping length could increase significantly. Otherwise I think you are just randomly applying a number, and I wouldn't gauge your results as a comparison to manufacturer rated flows, or as a true indication of flow out the end of your pipe.

Last edited:

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi BRS,
first of i love your videos. Watch every one of your posts on youtube. Could you do an investigate episode about return pumps? I have a triton tank that requires 10x flow. recently i qot an apex flow modul on my reefer 250 and vectra m1. i changed the plumbing from my reefer to 3/4 including the return nozzle from reefer 450. only @ 100% and 80 Watts i get 2000l/h flow.

Now i have read every thread about return pumps but could t find a detailed comparison between different return pumps. i would love for you to test a abyzz A100, RE Speedy 50w, Vectra M1, Core20 and some cheap pump. Things that would be interesting: gph, gph with some headpressure eg plumping, noise, controllability, heat (my vetra m1 is heating my tank lol).

All these pumps have different price points and different features. i would love for some more information because the manufacturer flow charts doesnt seem to match the real world flow we get from our pumps.

Kind Regards Johannes

I think that this would provide some beneficial information, but most of the affect on return pump flow will come down to variables like output pipe diameter, head height, number of fittings, types of fitting, etc. Since every installation is so different, I'm not sure that it could be universally applied. The biggest thing to keep in mind with the manufacturer flow charts is that there is minimal, and usually larger diameter plumbing attached, so while it's a great place to start when estimating your return flow rate, it isn't the be all end all number that you'll actually see in the real world. That said, I agree that this would be extremely interesting, but isn't quite in the budget right now.

OP
OP
J

JohannesFFM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Adam,
tank you. You could test the gph with the manufacturer recommended pipe diameter, with a smaller diameter and then a std. reefer. There are so much post about people complaining about there return pumps and nobody seems to test different pumps. But pumps are expensive and the testing is difficult so i get it.
Keep up the good work :)

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are going to do an episode on #LetsTalkReef fairly soon where we will talk about all the variables that affect pump performance, how to evaluate head pressure, best practices for plumbing, etc. We are not going to do any pump vs. pump comparison, but we will show how to get the most out of your COR pump and how to best configure it in Apex Fusion.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are going to do an episode on #LetsTalkReef fairly soon where we will talk about all the variables that affect pump performance, how to evaluate head pressure, best practices for plumbing, etc. We are not going to do any pump vs. pump comparison, but we will show how to get the most out of your COR pump and how to best configure it in Apex Fusion.

Is there a strainer for the COR in the works? 1.5" BSPP is such a pain- impossible to find a strainer that fits well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back