Revhtree doesn't know it all!!!

So tell us what you really think!

• R2R is exactly the way I love it.

Votes: 157 29.3%
  • R2R isn't perfect but is pretty close.

Votes: 315 58.8%
  • R2R is good but needs work.

Votes: 60 11.2%
  • R2R needs a lot of work.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • R2R is terrible! :(

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only complaint is the mobile app is lacking. It's still good enough for me to use.

Yes yes i know mobile site, but I will use the app and remind r2r again and again to make it better :).

to clarify, I am using the official R2R mobile app.

it never gives me notifications and i can't see signatures would be my main complaints
Glad to know it's not just me

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another recommendation. For whatever reason, Reef Spotlight winners are not getting their badges. This is one of the badges that I really respect and would like to see more of from advanced reefers. The layout and prevalence of TOTM on RC and Reef Keeping Magazine used to be one of my favorite parts of that site (but is a little lacking here IMO). A permanent link to Reef Spotlight on the main navigation bar would be nice. Many of my friends on R2R didn't even know how to find the Reef Spotlight tanks under Articles until I showed them. I agree with someone that said R2R seems to be geared more towards new reefers which can get a bit boring for advanced reefers over time engaging in the same basic topics. Would love to see a push to support more advanced topics and badges that truly identify people that have proven their reef keeping skills. Don't take this the wrong way, but I see some people with a wall of badges and then look at their tanks and am not always impressed (and by no means am I saying that only big expensive fancy tanks should be spotlighted or prove skill). I just want to learn from advanced reefers with Reef Spotlight quality tanks and be able to identify them when in forum chat.

Last edited:

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Revhtree is the main reason why the forum is so good.
He is practically every day starting threads of common interest both for beginners and experienced reefers.
He is the founder and responsible (among others) for the staff thats running the site in a very friendly way.

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 5 stars, perfect, because of what matters to me the most in a forum: good member-base and good moderation. R2R is the only site of its nature that is darn-near completely clean of trolling. That's not only due to the quality of its members but also the vigilance and dedication of its moderators. Dont lose that and you'll remain 5 stars to me.

No matter the value of information in a thread, for me personally, it just takes one holier-than-thou, snarky comment to hit the back button and continue the search. R2R just isn't like that; at least 99% of the time, which is gold to me.

I'm very private, a lurker, not a poster, but both of my tanks have been R2R powered and I know that in an emergency that I can't figure out myself, even with all of this great info at R2R, there is a wonderful community here that wont shame me (at least not too terribly :p ) when I finally do ask for help.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else that would be nice is a link to a users build thread on the popup when I click on their name next to "Find all posts" and " Find all started threads".
Finding a build thread for some of our more prolific posters can be a chore.

Quit often when someone asks a question I have to go looking for their build thread to make an appropriate answer. That way I know their tank size and what equipment they have.

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the site, I am still getting emails no matter what I do to turn them off.
I can’t find the setting either.

I have everything turned off.

I would like alerts when I am on the site. I don’t need email spam.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a beneficial change that could possibly help a lot with usability is tagging. Forums by design tend to have pretty clear-cut boundaries for a content's location. However, when you're on a specialty forum with an overall topic being the only thing discussed, I think that it becomes a little limiting to have so many divisions when trying to explore for content.

For example, if we take something relatively simple and clearly defined, such as the 'member tanks' section, you will see that is is divided into regular/large/monster/nano/AIO/cube etc. depending on the size and dimensions of the aquarium in question. This kind of division seems a little obtuse to me because it's pretty much user defined and not very intuitive for navigation purposes. Tons of "large" and above, AIO, and nano tanks are in the regular section (which obviously has more visibility than the smaller subsections). Someone who WANTS to look at "monster" tanks will obviously click that section, but in doing so, tons of great builds are hidden because the average person isn't going to have interest in searching out what a 700 gallon reef looks like.

The tagging system is really awesome, but it's not utilized to its maximum potential because frankly most people don't know what it is or how best to utilize it. It's like how we have a very popular and active "Show off your Red Sea" thread because there was a genuine desire for people to be able to locate and share that content. However, if tagging was used, 'Red Sea' could be used by members when creating their build. Letting other members add additional tags could help this by allowing the site population to help index helpful content without relying on a somewhat clunky search feature or relying on thread creators to do it themselves.

By allowing/adding this feature you're basically making it much easier to find content without relying on the search tool or digging through tons of different subsections on the forum to find content you don't know exists. I don't know how feasible it is, but I would love to be able to go into an area like the member tanks and click tags to quickly narrow down build threads, such as the tank dimensions, aquascape, type of rock used, equipment choices, glass or acrylic, led or t5, closed loop, sand or barebottom, etc.

Even if you don't agree that all people should be able to add tags to whatever thread, I'm positive that some users would gladly wear a nifty badge and go around adding them as needed. It's really an incredible feature that should be explored more and/or made more visible to users.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Letting other members add additional tags could help this by allowing the site population to help index helpful content without relying on a somewhat clunky search feature or relying on thread creators to do it themselves.
I'm almost positive that users can create their own tag. For instance, I have created the #honestyinreefing tag that a few people follow. If you use a hashtag, anyone who wants can click on it and follow it.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the absence of a thriving reef forum based in Australia I come here as I know many Australian reefers do. I'm not complaining because R2R is a fantastic resource and community. I could of course rely more on Facebook and Youtube but I find those formats full of misinformation and hasty advice and much prefer to forum approach to sharing information.

I wonder though what opportunities there are to involve reefers outside of North America in competitions, exclusive offers and support? Maybe even some sub-forums for non-US reefers?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost positive that users can create their own tag. For instance, I have created the #honestyinreefing tag that a few people follow. If you use a hashtag, anyone who wants can click on it and follow it.

#r2rforlife

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I've known users can tag using hashtags but the issue I believe is that they aren't displayed at the top of the thread to easily navigate with, which isn't of critical importance, but I believe that the tags work slightly different due to spacing. For example #reefsquad and #reef squad aren't the same thing. If you follow the #reef tag you'll see its been used for trying and tag reefpi as well as reef squad and was incorrect in both situations. This could be relevant in a handful of other situations. On the other hand, allowing tags to be added would be a little more convenient if it was done through the input field instead of going into a random thread and leaving a post with 5-10 random words tagged. This would be especially true if different people at different times are adding them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back