Rev's 120g Build...

dc_909

Zoanthid Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the OR 3500 on my 120 and it is nice and quiet. Works well so far. Not sure how much flow you are looking for. I have mine feeding the main tank and the fuge

100_4852.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh cool! Nice set up! :D

The only thing is I need enough flow to feed my skimmer properly since it will be fed from the overflow.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev, how much rock did you order from marcorocks? I am also going to build a 120. Is the deltec skimmer realy that good? I have an AE tech superskimmer, will that be ok? very nice setup.....

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey rev, looking good! just something to think about. From the looks of the plumbing you might have two problems. on the return line you have a straight shot from the pump to the closest return, and the return on the oposite side has to make a 90 degree turn and travel several feet. so I would have to say that without a gate valve on the first return you will have alot less flow on the opposite side return line. also you have plumbed the two drain together, you have one tube dropping into the sump and then you convert the second drain going into your skimmer down to a smaller size pipe before entering the skimmer. So in reality your not alowwing the drains to dump full capacity. So you may have trouble with the tank overflowing if the drains cant drain enough water. Those overflows are capable of approximatly 600 gallon each. so with a mag 950 you should be ok, but you will need to watch closely. I only make these problems known cause I know who plumbed it, and didnt ask me first! HEHE!
good luck man it looking good

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPDATE!!! :D

Got the VHO's installed Friday and the other MH parts will be here tomorrow.

I got the Marco rock in a few weeks ago after the Nitrites spiked and as of 2 days ago the Nitrites were 0.

Just tested and the ammonia and nitrites are 0 and the Nitrates are 15. I added a tester aussie acan and zoa frag. I have had some shrooms in for a while with a few button polyps and they are all still alive.

I plan on moving all the corals over maybe Tuesday. I got to get them over asap. I went to my moms and found that the pump had quit working! Thank goodness I had a nano stream in there. The water temp was all the way down to 73, but all the sps and everything was wide open good polyp extension on the sps and the acans were feeding..... I moved the heater to the main tank out of the sump and added a power head.

So hopefully they will be fine for a couple more days.

What do you guys think about my sps coming to the new tank? I am going to add the 30 or so lbs of LR they are with now to the main along with as much of the water as I can get from the old tank. That should be around 30 gallons or so.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome Rev.. really looking forward to seeing the new tank and the progression in the coming months... :D

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks similar to my stand/canopy ... if it is the same ( only smaller ) ... just an fyi... I have MH's w/ three fans running...and it still heats the water close to too hot... wish I could figure a way to raise the canopy w/out it looking bad.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank rev!!! I love the stand!! Very open and easil accessable!!! I have a question about the skimmer. Do you need to do full cleanings on those things ever? Like take it out and scrub it and such? Or is it just a cleaning of the skimmer cup and that is it?? Not too familiar with the big $$$ skimmers. I have a CPR and I have ti literally clean the whole thing to make it skim its best. The rason I asked is because it looks like it would be difficult to get to in the back...but I don't really know about them. Also, this is a general question about the rock... how long do you have to cycle it? Great set up though!! I agree on fixing that electrical outlet too. You don't want to mess with electricity! he humidity and salt corosion alone will cause you problems down the road. Its an easy swap to gfi or if there is another one near by you can use just pull the outlet, cap the wires and put a cover plate over it. Just don't want you to get zapped!!

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev,

Nice set up. I didn't see this thread before. I have a Quietone 6000 on my 120 and it works really well. It's a 1" out, so I went up 10" with a 1" PVC and then T'd off with a 1" to 3/4" T. Then put ball valves on each side so I can controll the flow going to each return side.

Your plumbing looks really clean and professional. I think you should throw some frags to your "buddy" for doing such a good job.;)

Check out my 120 http://web.mac.com/mikescotto/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

I haven't updated that site in about a month tho. I have so much more junk since the nj frag swap.

Anyway good luck and I'm looking foward to pics.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about my sps coming to the new tank? I am going to add the 30 or so lbs of LR they are with now to the main along with as much of the water as I can get from the old tank. That should be around 30 gallons or so.

honestly.....i'd wait longer before transfering them. esspecially since the tank water they are going to is practically brand new.

the way I'd do it, is wait until nitrates are 0 in order to transfer anything, b/c once you put your first softie corals and fish in there, the nitrates will probably go up again very shortly until the bacteria can catch up with everything. so i'd hold off adding sps to the system until the very last thing.

honestly, new system water, paired up with adding large amounts of corals at once, to a tank that already has nitrates is spelling disasster for sps corals.

i've never heard of ANYONE have a good experience by transfering sps from an established system to a brand new system.....even if the cycle had completed. i don't have a good feeling about what you are going to do....but if you absolutely have to transfer them, get some small 1/4" tubing.....and sloooooooowly drip acclimate all the sps corals into the new tank water. probably over the course of a day.....i would be extra careful to the point of being waaaaaay over cautious.

in fact....I'd even go as far as when you transfer all your sps to your new tank, I'd take ALL the old tank water......and put it into the new tank. this will take allot of buckets etc.....but it will drastically help the corals.

better safe than sorry IMO, don't let any of that old tank water go to waste.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think the acclimation matters, it's having a stable system that the sps need, which isnt' something present in a new system less than a few months old minimum

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think the acclimation matters, it's having a stable system that the sps need, which isnt' something present in a new system less than a few months old minimum

I agree 110%.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree but I will be adding all my existing water with all of my existing rock. The thing is that it;s better to take the chance in the new tank then let them die over at my moms. It's not much sps and I will do my best...

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey dave, ya id be alittle cautious as well with the acros. I dont thing you will get much of a nitrate spike with the amount of corals you are putting in the tank. but the bottom line is the tank is a new system and SPS seem to let you know right away that they arnt happy! Id try and put your LPS in the tank first. with some water from your old tank. then maybe wait at least another week to add the SPS. and I think the drip aclimation might just help the stress level.
If you really wanted to do some extra work you could start doing small water changes every other day on your 30 gallon and swapping the water around. take out 5 gallons from the 30 and put it in the 120, then take 5 gallons out of the 120 and put it in the 30. just some ideas. Good luck man and let me know if you need me to help man. I might leave some of your best corals in the yard though! :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey thanks all!

Well i got all the coral moved over. I had so many frags that I just basically temp acclimated everything. Got it all added and everything seems to be doing good so far. All the sps have good polyp extension, so we will see. :D

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant waite to see pics. I never acclimate corals anymore. From the bag, to a dip, to the tank. Including sps. Most of my LFS dont acclimate. Out the box and into a tank. Your corals will all be fine. Ive moved my stuff 3 times now havnt had an issue yet. Corals are much tougher than people give them credit for. Fish on the other hand, always acclimate.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back