OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the tank is doing good. I have hesitated because I got a new tank diatom bloom and it covered the rock and sand. It's just about to burn all off now so I can mount frags and get some pics soon I hope. :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok question...

As the brow is fading away today I noticed little green type hair algae on all the rock. Not like patches but like little strands everywhere all over all the rock. Like it was under the brown. This is new rock and the tank is new and I have never had algae problems.

Do you think this is something that will burn away?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok question...

As the brow is fading away today I noticed little green type hair algae on all the rock. Not like patches but like little strands everywhere all over all the rock. Like it was under the brown. This is new rock and the tank is new and I have never had algae problems.

Do you think this is something that will burn away?

new tank and new rock syndrome. it will take time to go away, along with a hefty clean up crew. a couple grazing tangs may also help.

also, i think that type of rock which comes from turbulent rubble zone areas contains more phosphates to fuel algaes. i've had algae issues with similar looking rock to the kind you got.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok thats what I was hoping to hear. I plan to get a tang and more critters to clean. What do you suggest in the way of critters?

Also I am going to add a reactor for phosphate removal..

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thats what I was hoping to hear. I plan to get a tang and more critters to clean. What do you suggest in the way of critters?

Also I am going to add a reactor for phosphate removal..

as far as tang(s)......a naso would be best obviously....but other than that some of the smaller bristle tooth tangs work wonders over time. (i.e. purple tang, tomini tang etc.)

as far as clean up crews go, get as diverse selection of snails and hermits you can get your hands on.

just keep in mind it may get worse before it gets better........

as far as phosphate media......i doubt it will help any. as the problem lies inside the rocks. if you take a thick piece of rock out, and chop it in half....if the inside of the rock looks blackish.....that means there are sulfates present due to anaerobic bacteria production (if i remember correctly from reading Randy Holmes' articles).

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
patience is the key! I like you dave dont even remember the last time I had a tank with diatom algae. Since my first reef tank I have upgraded tanks every time and never started all the way over again. I would agree with everyone else though. A good clean up crew would be the best bet. Tangs are great for long term control. But my experience with them is that they will only eat new growth. they usually wont touch it once it gets long enough for you to even know its there. But they will definatly stop it from getting much worse. I would just remove as much algae as you can with some small water changes till the tank stabilizes more. I wouldnt do any major water changes for awhile either. I here people all the time tell people to do big water changes to correct these kinda problems. but all that does in a new system is cause more mini cycles and keeps the stuff growing. Also try adding some blennies. A few things I have learned about blennies: Dont buy a black blenny, they will destroy acros quickly. (hard lesson for me!) I have had a sailfin blenny for along time and he is a great algae eater, the one down side to him is he tends to bite my tangs when they are sleeping! HEHE. Ya every now and then you will see a powder blue or regal swimming around with a couple circles scuffed into the side of the tang. it doesnt seem to bother the tangs, but it bothers me! I also have a tailspot and he seems to be great. anyway. good luck man!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well most of the algae is gone now and I got the rock right finally. I just took allot of rock out to make more swimming room for new fish I got coming. I love the open look way more now. Also I hate posting such an immature tank with all these frags but you must remember I upgraded from a 38g so I had no room. :D I have a number of new sps to add next weekend and then I am going to watch it grow.

tankjan08.jpg

acansjan08.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh also you can tell some of the old rock I used because it's already covered in coraline and you can see the marco rock as well.

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, VERY NICE LOOKING AQUASCAPING MAN!!!
that solar wrasse looks pretty lonely in that big tank! HEHE! better get him some friends!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fts1.jpg

acan-2.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 70 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 31 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back