Rev's 400+ Gallon Basement Inwall

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ATB 1050 is pulling some gunk! Stinking up the whole tank room! Ha! I have a Reef Octopus 300int on order so I'm using the ATB from the old tank until then. It's really doing a great job!!

Also finally finished the plumbing except for the lines from the manifold to the reactors. Excuse all the mess and wires but I just finished tonight so I can finally start cleaning and managing wires! Got the frag tank all plumbed in! Oh and before this photo I just cleaned the skimmer! See above! Lol!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I know I am 426 messages behind the build but I have to ask a couple questions of Rev. I'm not criticizing just trying to understand, as there was another place where I would have expected to see you go for a couple of 45s and instead you went with 90s.
Do you have something against 45 degree plumbing fittings, or were you trying to restrict the flow to the frag tank with all of those 90s?
If you are not trying to restrict the flow, and just didn't have the 45s, wouldn't a short section of spa-flex and couple of unions have been a better option than the 5 extra 90s that you have on there?
Am I missing something or is there no union from the feed from the return pumps and the line going to the manifold & frag tank until the union ball valve?

I know I do not have 20% of the experience Rev has, which is why after watching him perfect so many aspects of this project, this left me scratching my head.

Thanks in advance!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^But whatever is happening with the 5 90's in the second photo quoted above, could have been done with just 2 45s. :)

Bear in mind that Rev didn't even plumb this himself. :D

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a great video recently done by BRS on the two 45s vs one 90 myth.
I saw that video, no question 2 45s are not better than 1 90. But arent 2 45s are better than 2 90s, or 5 90s, unless there is something else that is accomplished by using the 90s?

^But whatever is happening with the 5 90's in the second photo quoted above, could have been done with just 2 45s. :)

Bear in mind that Rev didn't even plumb this himself. :D
That is what I thought...

He didn't? I must have missed that one...

Jpmumaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the plumbing industry for 20 years and I assure you the look is the only difference period. Which is personal preference also and to me it looks amazing all straight lines be it parallel or perpendicular to other piping. Imagining a few 45 in there would through it way out my opinion of course. Amazing setup great job!

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the angles do impact head pressure on the pump. 45's vs 90s brs Video that's mentioned above actually does show there's a small impact. Not much but 10-20gph here and there add up but in the end with an adequate pump may not matter besides more electricity used to obtain the desired output.

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have 200 gal in wall basement sump in separate fish room
I used 2 vectra L1 for returns on check valves . Love this set up 10 x tank turn over. Plumbed with 1-1/2" spa flex pvc. That downsizes to 2-1" outputs on each end
13fdf0a5bedbbe10bd4e124f0484a7fb.jpg
How far up, Whats your head pressure on them L1s

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no PICTURES for over a month i feel like i have been ripped off
Rev should be on his way to Reef A Palooza Orlando and has been prepping for it until now. [emoji12] He has a truly amazing booth and there is a ton of work that goes into it. Wish I wasn't going to miss it this year [emoji26]

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev should be on his way to Reef A Palooza Orlando and has been prepping for it until now. [emoji12] He has a truly amazing booth and there is a ton of work that goes into it. Wish I wasn't going to miss it this year [emoji26]
What so hard about getting a booth together.

1. Fold up table
2. Table cloth (optional)
3. Poster board
4. Orange and black markers

Done.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Fold up table
3. Poster board

Done.

Lol my first lemonade stand

allot more work goes into it i have helped people out with theirs and its weeks of work

unless your selling lemonade [emoji6]

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Fold up table
3. Poster board

Done.
Hahaha, have you ever seen the reef2reef booth? TONS of work goes into that [emoji12] it isn't just that, it's organizing their giveaways, raffles, prizes and everything as well as travel to and from approximately 6 hours each way... it's a big job :)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Fold up table
3. Poster board

Done.

I know you were probably just joking, but it's a little more than just a fold up table...lol.

IMG_4609.JPG

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a great video recently done by BRS on the two 45s vs one 90 myth.

Did anyone see in this video if they covered the setup where there are two 45's used to jog a pipe instead of making a 90 turn in the pipe? I didn't see that and was curious how they think that affects flow? So it would be a vertical pipe with a 45 for a distance and then another 45 to continue going vertical. No 90 degree change just a 45 degree jog. I watched it a couple of times hoping I had just missed it.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back