Rev's 400+ Gallon Basement Inwall

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly there was basically no difference in using two 45's or one 90 degree elbow.

Yea, it was something minimal like less than 20gph difference

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I promise you guys if we all start posting LSU pics in here, we'll get an update...or something... :rolleyes: :D ;Troll

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took us over 2000 post to get the first FTS so I am guessing we have about 1815 more post to go before we get another....

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that for two 45's that make a 90 degree turn but I'm talking about it never making a 90 at all.
Two 45's regardless if they are next to each other or a distance apart are going to act the same. Its the turn in the pipe that causes the head loss so no matter where it is located it will reduce flow "X" amount.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One test showing the difference in flow rates for a given scenario is not definitive.

Flow dynamics are more complicated than that. For instance, if this is return plumbing, you would have to test multiple flow rates on both extreme ends with multiple pipe diameters first, because you're undoubtedly going to get that dude that says his 1/2" plumbing is the same as 1.5" plumbing and thus it should only be a XX GPH or % flow reduction, when that's totally untrue.

The same pump on smaller diameter piping would have much higher frictional resistance, so if you had 1.5" piping and 1000 GPH at one valve setting (we'll call that setting #1),then cranked it to 1500 GPH (we'll call that setting #2) and noted those two set points on the pump, then took that same pump to a set of 1" piping that was configured identically and ran the same pump at the same 2 setting points, you would find that the #2 setting was much less than 50% more flow (i.e. you might get 700 GPH on setting #1 but only 950 GPH on setting #2, a 35% increase in flow instead of 1050 which would be 50% more flow) and that is because of frictional losses with smaller piping and the relationship between the flow rate and the frictional coefficient.

Once you have a basis for the flow rate curves for a given configuration, then and only then would you be able to change the plumbing setup and run the same tests again and have a valid comparison. And that would only be valid for that setup, and not necessarily directly applicable to anyone else's setup.

I admittedly haven't seen the video though so maybe they do this. I just wanted to strut my feathers around about my knowledge of flow dynamics, seeing as I cracked a mechanical engineering guidebook about it a few years ago to calculate weir flow rates for notched vs flat, and that now makes me an expert so there. I also like saying "flow dynamics"

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One test showing the difference in flow rates for a given scenario is not definitive.

Flow dynamics are more complicated than that. For instance, if this is return plumbing, you would have to test multiple flow rates on both extreme ends with multiple pipe diameters first, because you're undoubtedly going to get that dude that says his 1/2" plumbing is the same as 1.5" plumbing and thus it should only be a XX GPH or % flow reduction, when that's totally untrue.

The same pump on smaller diameter piping would have much higher frictional resistance, so if you had 1.5" piping and 1000 GPH at one valve setting (we'll call that setting #1),then cranked it to 1500 GPH (we'll call that setting #2) and noted those two set points on the pump, then took that same pump to a set of 1" piping that was configured identically and ran the same pump at the same 2 setting points, you would find that the #2 setting was much less than 50% more flow (i.e. you might get 700 GPH on setting #1 but only 950 GPH on setting #2, a 35% increase in flow instead of 1050 which would be 50% more flow) and that is because of frictional losses with smaller piping and the relationship between the flow rate and the frictional coefficient.

Once you have a basis for the flow rate curves for a given configuration, then and only then would you be able to change the plumbing setup and run the same tests again and have a valid comparison. And that would only be valid for that setup, and not necessarily directly applicable to anyone else's setup.

I admittedly haven't seen the video though so maybe they do this. I just wanted to strut my feathers around about my knowledge of flow dynamics, seeing as I cracked a mechanical engineering guidebook about it a few years ago to calculate weir flow rates for notched vs flat, and that now makes me an expert so there. I also like saying "flow dynamics"
They didn't go into much detail. It is one of the few videos they have done that I though needed a lot of improvement. It was interesting, but far from conclusive.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear David is also a fan of the New Orleans Saints. Right, @revhtree? Maybe a flood of pics for LSU and NO will make him pay attention to his build thread.

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so we are all talking the same thing on Rev's thread. lol

upload_2017-5-10_12-1-27.png

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't go into much detail. It is one of the few videos they have done that I though needed a lot of improvement. It was interesting, but far from conclusive.
Yep, and the head pressure curve a pump can handle can make a big difference even between pumps with the same flow rate.

Familyof3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just spent three days going through this thread. I am glad I stumbled upon it. I certainly took a lot of notes and enjoyed the fun and games along the way. The TANK, SUMP, and overall FISHROOM look amazing. Can't wait to see the updated FTS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back