RFA burying itself

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just a quick question about my rock flower. This is my first ever anemone and it came from live aquaria, a premium red RFA. So it’s been 3 days and it keeps burying itself into the sand when the light are on, I’m pretty sure more of it emerges when the lights go off. Is this normal? It could be eating the pods that were on it? Sorry for the possible newbie question

-Thanks

696FD974-D4F9-4205-88CD-4C9866E54AB7.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell us a little more about your tank. Inhabitants lights and how your running them.

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell us a little more about your tank. Inhabitants lights and how your running them.
There wouldn’t be any fish bothering it, possibly a snail or hermit could be? It’s on the very bottom. I don’t know the park but it’s an ai prime running at about 50% at a slightly modified preset from Ai’s website (so it’s pretty standard). Phosphates are kinda low right now and alkalinity could be low (around 6-6.5dkh)

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They like attaching to a Rock near the top of the sandbed. It looks like its just out in the middle of the sand so its likely attaching its foot to the bottom of your tank in a deeper area. Not sure, hard to tell from the photo

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like attaching to a Rock near the top of the sandbed. It looks like its just out in the middle of the sand so its likely attaching its foot to the bottom of your tank in a deeper area. Not sure, hard to tell from the photo
Sorry for the bad picture, I placed it near a rock but I guess it didn’t care so much. Should I try putting a fragging rock under it than buying the rock?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry for the bad picture, I placed it near a rock but I guess it didn’t care so much. Should I try putting a fragging rock under it than buying the rock?
I would personally pluck it from that spot and put it up against a rock with the flow off in the tank. It doesnt take long for these RFA to attach. At least in my experience

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It keeps burying itself during the day and coming out at night, should I try again placing it next to a rock? But let’s say it was uncomfortable, wouldn’t it just move where it wanted to be?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally pluck it from that spot and put it up against a rock with the flow off in the tank. It doesnt take long for these RFA to attach. At least in my experience
How? I have the same situation, but mine attached itself to the glass, I dont know how to get it off. I stupidly tried to nudge it with my thumb, but it wont move. How can I "pluck it"? Thanks in advance.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How? I have the same situation, but mine attached itself to the glass, I dont know how to get it off. I stupidly tried to nudge it with my thumb, but it wont move. How can I "pluck it"? Thanks in advance.
If it's buried in the sand you'll have to feel around for the edge of its foot. Use your leading thumb edge/nail and push it under its foot, then pry up with your tumb a little bit at a time as you push further under it's foot until it's compleltey free. You don't have to be super gentle, you won't hurt it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back