OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is loving the new light, even on less intensity it has a wider spread and corals are responding pretty well. Some new pieces are still adjusting. RAP is coming up this weekend, never been. If i do go the rest of the blank space in the rock work will definitely be filled in. Any questions or feedback feel free to let me know.
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ricenoodle im in micro and the fact that you used a mixer blows my mind I don’t know why I’ve never thought of it even now while we constantly mix in my lab
Haha Thanks! yeah it works out great, an hour on the magnetic mixer and it's ready to be added to the topoff container, so easy that when i saw it i knew i had to buy it to save on the daily labor.

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i find that having a 3 feet acrylic rod is great for stirring the sand daily and if i need to slightly move something just a bit, plus it keeps my hand out of the tank. Bought it for $10 online.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had trouble setting my NYOS on my 170. Any chance you can take a shot of how high you have the water line set in the tube?

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at work right now so no pics yet but here's what i did, after it's fully wide open during break in which for me was around 2 weeks. Then you close the valve and raise it up day by day until for me it's at the M in Quantum and the airline is 90% close. I will do a few pics later but it took a week to slowly raise the water level up to where i needed, then finally dial it in with the air so it's where you want it, whether wet or dry or somewhere in between.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at work right now so no pics yet but here's what i did, after it's fully wide open during break in which for me was around 2 weeks. Then you close the valve and raise it up day by day until for me it's at the M in Quantum and the airline is 90% close. I will do a few pics later but it took a week to slowly raise the water level up to where i needed, then finally dial it in with the air so it's where you want it, whether wet or dry or somewhere in between.
Thanks! I'll take a look at where I'm set once I get home. I do notice that I'll have to bump the air intake sometimes to get the bubbles really going. Not sure why.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my Tank as of today:) Below is an insight in my start in the hobby and the build thread up to this date.

So I'm in the military and moved back to San Diego after 8 years of being away I'm excited to finally be back in the mecca of reef tanks where it all started 12 years ago for me. 6 tanks since then and i decided this one will be a simplistic and minimalistic approach. Some of my previous tanks since day 1 and lots of lessons learned along the way.

Where it all started, a JBJ 12g Nanocube
Picture003.jpg

Graduated to a 24g Nanocube
100_0531.jpg

Next came the 34g Solana, all cubes and nanos, it's my preference.
101_0907.jpg

Another temporary Solana, didn't had it for long.
IMAG0028.jpg

Next came the 60g Cube, my fav up to that point.

102_1875.jpg

102_1731.jpg

102_1737.jpg

My latest 60g cube
8-jpg.315497

After weeks of searching, i've settled on the Red Sea Reefer 170 for the rebuild. Equipment are starting to come in day by day and I'll be updating the progress here. The plan is a mixed reef but i'm a big LPS and anemones fan so it'll probably gravitate toward that direction or maybe even a species dominated tank So far this is what i'll be running on this system:
  • Red Sea Reefer 170 Rimless
  • Ecotech WR30W Pro Gen 3
  • Dual MP10WQD
  • Nyos Quantum 120
  • Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0
  • Apex Classic
  • Tunze Osmolator
reefer_170_white_web.jpg

Wait , your they guy who bought that MH??! SD?
Man I was bummed I missed it.
Sweet set up!

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll take a look at where I'm set once I get home. I do notice that I'll have to bump the air intake sometimes to get the bubbles really going. Not sure why.
adjust the gate valve first to get the water level up to where the bubbles is bursting where the cup meet the body, then you close the air valve on the needle where it's almost fully closed, you'll have to play it with at this point over a few days to see how your skimmate come out, then just leave it set, if it ever overflows due to you putting a new sock in, just unplug the skimmer or turn it off using a controller, don't mess with the valves after it's set.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back