Ricordea eating or angry?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2021
Messages
1,306
Reaction score
1,812
Location
Iowa
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this ric is trying to eat this piece of mysis or does it just look angry because a shrimp landed on it at the same time my giant turbo snail just bulldozed past it? (I may have gotten my answer as I type this - it looks like it's totally closing up and sucking the shrimp into its mouth, and now it's opening back up! That's cool, haven't seen that before.) LOL

20220401_192240.jpg 20220401_192757.jpg
 
That’s how mushroom coral eat by closing up in to its self . Totally normal !!! . Once it’s consumed it will open back up
 
That’s how mushroom coral eat by closing up in to its self . Totally normal !!! . Once it’s consumed it will open back up
Good to know! Maybe I'll try feeding my others - I have a huge fuzzy mushroom that is splitting currently, and I bet it would eat some shrimp too. :)
 
Make sure you keep the feeding small in size , their mouths are small . I cut and grind up shrimp with a little reef roids and make a paste . I have a long feeding tube and put a sparingly amount on all my shrooms once or twice a week .
 
Make sure you keep the feeding small in size , their mouths are small . I cut and grind up shrimp with a little reef roids and make a paste . I have a long feeding tube and put a sparingly amount on all my shrooms once or twice a week .
I'll try that - I have some Reef Roids. Will discosomas eat it? Seems like they'd have trouble hanging on to food. I just target feed the reef roids or oyster feast around them and they seem happy. Didn't realize how hangry my ricordeas were though!
 
Most anything that has a mouth I believe benefits from feeding either in the water column or direct feeding . I make a thicker slurry that sticks to the mushrooms ( discoma’s as well )and other coral ( like my Goni’s and torches, giving it time to eat it or time to close up and pull it in . Now that being said finding some to be finicky as to what I feed them used to be a issue especially like if I had changed the formula lol!!! and there will always be some that never close when manual feeding . Watch out for opportunist creatures that can and will take the food out from off them .
 
Most anything that has a mouth I believe benefits from feeding either in the water column or direct feeding . I make a thicker slurry that sticks to the mushrooms ( discoma’s as well )and other coral ( like my Goni’s and torches, giving it time to eat it or time to close up and pull it in . Now that being said finding some to be finicky as to what I feed them used to be a issue especially like if I had changed the formula lol!!! and there will always be some that never close when manual feeding . Watch out for opportunist creatures that can and will take the food out from off them .
Guessing my cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp and emerald crabs will need to be watched - they'd probably try stealing food!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new