• Doomed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was mounting frags from the rack to rockwork and accidentally tore my ricordea through the oral disc. The mesentery flopped out. It was only torn in one side from mouth to edge, not a complete division/halving. Will take pictures and see if it survives. Any guesses or experience with this?

Fresh tear yesterday
D0E05FC1-8F67-49E5-9E7E-02CA9E61503D.jpeg

Few hours later
310CF4EC-C779-4483-8238-BC37FDCD4223.jpeg

When I get home from work will try to take another in morning

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was mounting frags from the rack to rockwork and accidentally tore my ricordea through the oral disc. The mesentery flopped out. It was only torn in one side from mouth to edge, not a complete division/halving. Will take pictures and see if it survives. Any guesses or experience with this?

Fresh tear yesterday
D0E05FC1-8F67-49E5-9E7E-02CA9E61503D.jpeg

Few hours later
310CF4EC-C779-4483-8238-BC37FDCD4223.jpeg

When I get home from work will try to take another in morning
I couldnt say anything will be ok even healthy coral but if I had to guess I'd say your fine I've heard stories of people putting mushrooms in blenders and pouring it into a tank to grow

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt say anything will be ok even healthy coral but if I had to guess I'd say your fine I've heard stories of people putting mushrooms in blenders and pouring it into a tank to grow
Wait what? That's crazy! I would love to know the outcome of any of these experiments. If I had any loose shrooms I'd try that

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to see what happens...also to see if anyone posts results of the blender thing, if that is actually a real thing that people have done and not just a silly rumor.

I actually just had my ricordea dissolve, or dislodge from its spot. Not really sure. I woke up yesterday morning, and where there once was a tiny ricordea, there was now an empty frag. I had it since February, but it just never really took. It started to shrink, but I was afraid to move it from where it was because anytime previously that I had put a ricordea in an either higher or more exposed (to the flow) spot, they would immediately dislodge themselves, and I would find their reamains in my fliter. I am not sure if that is where the one I just lost wound up, but so far I can't find it anywhere.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will likely survive. Finish the cut and it will heal faster. The 2 sides will pull together and make it round again.

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will likely survive. Finish the cut and it will heal faster. The 2 sides will pull together and make it round again.
Think I should finish the cut even though it will be like 48h later by the time I get to it? I have scalpels from work so the cut will at least be clean. Trying to move it really tore it more than anything else

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to see what happens...also to see if anyone posts results of the blender thing, if that is actually a real thing that people have done and not just a silly rumor.

I actually just had my ricordea dissolve, or dislodge from its spot. Not really sure. I woke up yesterday morning, and where there once was a tiny ricordea, there was now an empty frag. I had it since February, but it just never really took. It started to shrink, but I was afraid to move it from where it was because anytime previously that I had put a ricordea in an either higher or more exposed (to the flow) spot, they would immediately dislodge themselves, and I would find their reamains in my fliter. I am not sure if that is where the one I just lost wound up, but so far I can't find it anywhere.
Yeah would bet my wife’s cat’s life that the blender thing is a joke ;)

For me the dissolve away thing really describes sebae anemones. That’s I think the only invert I have had consistent failures with.. Never any issues with RBTA or condy’s. I will say shrooms of all types in my tank seem to need a settling period not unlike sps prior to really thriving. Softies and LPS seem to settle right in on the other hand.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blender is not a joke, many people did that with mushrooms and they survived. Think chopping, not liquify. Your mushroom looks like it will recover. Mushrooms can grow from a very small piece of tissue left behind.

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blender is not a joke, many people did that with mushrooms and they survived. Think chopping, not liquify. Your mushroom looks like it will recover. Mushrooms can grow from a very small piece of tissue left behind.
Cool well maybe once it recovers I will do the chopping experiment with one of the pieces!

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I should finish the cut even though it will be like 48h later by the time I get to it? I have scalpels from work so the cut will at least be clean. Trying to move it really tore it more than anything else

It will not likely heal back up into one shroom. It’s going to slowly tear itself apart any at this point. What happened hear is not too different from how they naturally split themselves. I just had one do this.
6A9266E6-612C-482A-9613-9D4D522C083A.jpeg
9AF1CE46-DFBC-426E-AF6E-F41521CF48C8.jpeg

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not likely heal back up into one shroom. It’s going to slowly tear itself apart any at this point. What happened hear is not too different from how they naturally split themselves. I just had one do this.
6A9266E6-612C-482A-9613-9D4D522C083A.jpeg
9AF1CE46-DFBC-426E-AF6E-F41521CF48C8.jpeg
Those colors are awesome! “Christmas tree shroom” has a nice ring to it!

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as promised here is an updated pic at 12h. Still on the fence about finishing the cut vs letting nature take its course.

thoughts?

C0193860-8659-4700-8FF2-A10F459D7CF8.jpeg
00B6142A-9C11-4D3A-B682-EDD7AE1ED8CA.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like its definitely survived:)

Now it really is up to you if you want to cut it the rest of the way or not. Either way it looks like it will live!!

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, the same thing happened to a yuma that I received from a fellow reefer. When he was trying to cut some of the rock off the base from the foot, his tool slipped and shredded the foot and tore a piece of the skirt. A week later and it is healing up fine. Glad to see yours is doing great as well.

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd let nature take its course.
Yep that’s ultimately what I decided to do. I may try to frag a different variety I have a few of for practice and to spread the orange color! I’ll post pics if I do
Man, the same thing happened to a yuma that I received from a fellow reefer. When he was trying to cut some of the rock off the base from the foot, his tool slipped and shredded the foot and tore a piece of the skirt. A week later and it is healing up fine. Glad to see yours is doing great as well.
knock on wood.. I was just taking the frag off the rack and the foot had stuck to the rack. It tore with almost no resistance.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back