Ricordia question

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know what causes ricordia florida to turn white, shrink up and fade away? Not new, these are established. Been good for about two years. Now they are turning white, once they turn white, they get smaller and smaller, then slowly fade away. Not all at once - only a few at a time.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know what causes ricordia florida to turn white, shrink up and fade away? Not new, these are established. Been good for about two years. Now they are turning white, once they turn white, they get smaller and smaller, then slowly fade away. Not all at once - only a few at a time.

Not sure in your case but i recently had one the split and detach itself from the rock....i had no clue until i saw it way in the back with no light and it was turning white and getting smaller...eventually i was able to get it out and get it back out into the light...hoping it will color back up. I think i have heard that too much light can bleach them too

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few do that a few times Randy...Not sure as to why though mine were in high flow an light. One I moved them they continued to go south....Culd be the fact that they reach a tipping point and will not come back even if the conditions change.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure in your case but i recently had one the split and detach itself from the rock....i had no clue until i saw it way in the back with no light and it was turning white and getting smaller...eventually i was able to get it out and get it back out into the light...hoping it will color back up. I think i have heard that too much light can bleach them too

I have had a few do that a few times Randy...Not sure as to why though mine were in high flow an light. One I moved them they continued to go south....Culd be the fact that they reach a tipping point and will not come back even if the conditions change.

*** Sigh *** thanks guys, I've lost almost every ricordia in my tank - whatever it is, it doesn't seem to matter where they are or where I put them. Afraid its gong to take them all.

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have a lot of Rics and this concerns me. There use to be a Guy Flocordia (Mike)and he did great w/ rics.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have a lot of Rics and this concerns me. There use to be a Guy Flocordia (Mike)and he did great w/ rics.

Yeah, Mike is out of the hobby now (some personal things going on). He's the one I got most of my ricordia from.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** Sigh *** thanks guys, I've lost almost every ricordia in my tank - whatever it is, it doesn't seem to matter where they are or where I put them. Afraid its gong to take them all.

What are your parameters Randy? Did you hve them next to each other? I have found that they do better, healthier, fuller when they are touching each other. It sounds like it might be a parameter issue or to much lighting......Sorry to hear of your issues. Any info you can give will help find out. There is also the possability that they each their life span and wither and die....Not sure of how long ricordea are supposed to live or if they have a calculated life span......

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters Randy? Did you hve them next to each other? I have found that they do better, healthier, fuller when they are touching each other. It sounds like it might be a parameter issue or to much lighting......Sorry to hear of your issues. Any info you can give will help find out. There is also the possability that they each their life span and wither and die....Not sure of how long ricordea are supposed to live or if they have a calculated life span......

Most parameters are in good shape;
Calcium runs about 550, but has always been high since I set this tank up
dKH got low over the summer, but has been brought back up over the last few months and is now at 8 (but I was loosing ric. in the bottom of the tank prior to the drop in the alkalinity in the same manner).
ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all 0 as is phosphate (although I seldom bother to test it)
Salinity is 1.035 to 1.036
And pH is always 8.2
temp fluctuates between 78 at night and 80 to 81 during the day.

I was dripping kalk regularly prior to summer, but stopped over the summer and resumed in about september.

Current Ricordia in trouble are within 8" of the top of the tank, which is where they have been for about a year and 1/2. They were full enough that when fully opened they were touching, but now they have shriveled and no longer touch.

I have had explosive growth from a monti cap, which may be shading this area more than previously, but doesn't account for those I lost prior to these.

going to be upgrading from a single 250w MH with 2 65w PC bulbs to two 150w MH w/ 4 t5 bulbs soon (hopefully within the next month). Bulbs in current fixture are all almost one year old.

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single ricordia that I had for at least a couple of years, it had like 3 babys but they all melted, the original is still alive and kicking.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your salinity really 1.035 to 1.036? If so that is quite high and might be a cause.....

Opps! Salinity is 35 or 1.026 to 1.027; a little higher than normal, as I had some issues with diatoms about a year ago, and have been running it higher every since.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back