RIP orchid dottyback

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost our orchid dottyback today :(

My kids buried him and made this grave site.

Ah reef keeping, never stops being real!

image.jpg

OP
OP
I

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of your other fish not acting quite right?

Hope it all turns out well for you! We’d love to know if there’s something going on with your tank.

Im watching them all closely. I have an Atlantic blue tang that is showing some distress and has spots on him.... UGH. the last added fish out of quarantine but he seemed 100% fine in the QT tank that I dose with copper in - Eating well, no issues to speak of. I’m concerned that I missed something though and I’m really worried about the rest of the fish in the tank.

It’s a 120gal with a 55gal sump. Tons of rock, a large portion was moved over from my old tank. Parameters are all great, no nitrates or nitrite - a little phosphate issue but my corals all seem happy... My LFS sold me some seachem focus/metroplex which I dosed this afternoon. Been feeding them a bunch but for the first time the Atlantic blue didn’t eat.

I also got 2 skunk cleaner shrimp in case there’s some parasitic issue that could be going on?

Thank you all for your kind words. This community is truly amazing, and even now - facing a potential catastrophe, I’m deeply grateful to all.

OP
OP
I

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I’m dealing with Velvet. UGH. Spent the day moving rock work to get the fish out.

All fish have now been moved to a 20gal hospital tank dosed with copper power but I would love anyone’s advice. The Atlantic blue died overnight. I’d really like to save the rest, but I’m concerned about the mandarin who’s food source is pods in the display tank.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I’m dealing with Velvet. UGH. Spent the day moving rock work to get the fish out.

All fish have now been moved to a 20gal hospital tank dosed with copper power but I would love anyone’s advice. The Atlantic blue died overnight. I’d really like to save the rest, but I’m concerned about the mandarin who’s food source is pods in the display tank.
So so so sorry you are going through this and I am wishing you good energy and good luck!

From what I read, mandarins can’t handle copper.

@Humblefish has great info

Mandarins (Dragonets)

Disease-resistant fish which handles most meds just fine (EXCEPT COPPER). The biggest challenge to quarantining one of these is feeding due to its need for pods.

QT strategy: If you can get a captive bred specimen (e.g. ORA, Biota) already eating frozen or pellets, that is a huge help. Otherwise you're in for a rough go of it. Some have luck offering baby brine shrimp, Masstick, live blackworms, fish eggs... If you ever see "Nutramar Ova" (now discontinued), grab some of that! You can dose pods (or add LR/chaeto with pods), but that only works in a non-medicated environment.

When quarantining a mandarin, you want to get the specimen into your DT (where the pods are) as quickly as possible. The fastest way to do this is to treat with Chloroquine phosphate (see CP Protocol #1) and then transfer the fish directly into your DT after 10-14 days. This strategy is not without risk, so transferring to an observation tank (with LR/chaeto/pods) would be a safer option. You would then black molly test the observation tank to ensure the mandarin is "clean": Black Molly Quarantine

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/difficult-fish-to-qt-guide.640256/

EDIT: but that ruins your fallow period... in display...
I just don’t know, but others will surely chime in.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry for the losses,best wishes on recovery,following on mandy recommendations ,love the connection between kids and fishes;):)

OP
OP
I

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So so so sorry you are going through this and I am wishing you good energy and good luck!

From what I read, mandarins can’t handle copper.

@Humblefish has great info

Mandarins (Dragonets)

Disease-resistant fish which handles most meds just fine (EXCEPT COPPER). The biggest challenge to quarantining one of these is feeding due to its need for pods.

QT strategy: If you can get a captive bred specimen (e.g. ORA, Biota) already eating frozen or pellets, that is a huge help. Otherwise you're in for a rough go of it. Some have luck offering baby brine shrimp, Masstick, live blackworms, fish eggs... If you ever see "Nutramar Ova" (now discontinued), grab some of that! You can dose pods (or add LR/chaeto with pods), but that only works in a non-medicated environment.

When quarantining a mandarin, you want to get the specimen into your DT (where the pods are) as quickly as possible. The fastest way to do this is to treat with Chloroquine phosphate (see CP Protocol #1) and then transfer the fish directly into your DT after 10-14 days. This strategy is not without risk, so transferring to an observation tank (with LR/chaeto/pods) would be a safer option. You would then black molly test the observation tank to ensure the mandarin is "clean": Black Molly Quarantine

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/difficult-fish-to-qt-guide.640256/

EDIT: but that ruins your fallow period... in display...
I just don’t know, but others will surely chime in.

Holy smokes thank you. Just put her in a breeder enclosure in the display tank till I figure out what’s next.

This is a nightmare, I don’t even know how it got into the tank - shrimp/starfish????

OP
OP
I

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d really love to know if the mandarin could go back in the DT... I have read that they’re generally resistant to velvet but would she be at more risk given she would be the only one in the tank? I’m having difficulty tracking down any QP but I’m reading up.

Thank you all.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smokes thank you. Just put her in a breeder enclosure in the display tank till I figure out what’s next.

This is a nightmare, I don’t even know how it got into the tank - shrimp/starfish????
I’m sure you are devastated.
Some inverts can bring it in. Starfish and urchins I don’t think can bring velvet/Ich in if you rinse well enough. Shrimp, snails and crabs can as I understand because trophont attaches to shell/exoskeleton

OP
OP
I

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gutted.

About 3 months ago I ordered 2 fish (purple and blue hippo tang) and some inverts (blue starfish and a couple blood shrimp) from petco. Everything but the blue hippo arrived DOA and the blue hippo was a miracle fish - the bag had ruptured, she had *maybe* 4oz of water left. I brought her back from the dead but gave petco a piece of my mind.

Last week a package arrived from UPS. No notice, nothing. Opened it up and there was another dead blue hippo, a blue starfish, and a dead blood shrimp. I hadn’t ordered these, never got any tracking info, and had I not been home they would have all cooked outside for hours.

In a desperate attempt to save the blue star, I threw him in. Didn’t rinse, nothing. Drip acclimated him and in he went.

Just can’t believe it. I’ve put more into this tank (especially during covid) than any other ive ever had and 1 momentary lapse of thinking and all my little fish are facing execution.

If anyone knows how best to treat the mandarin please let me know. Again I’ve got the fish all in a 20gal breeder with copper. I have API ick treatment if that would be useful and I can head to my LFS to get anything else.

OP
OP
I

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are all looking better - I’m at T+2 hours or so and the kole tang is already looking like himself.... His skin was falling off or something and he’s definitely a lot better looking than 3 hours ago. Maybe, just maybe, I caught this early enough

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back