RO BUDDIE + Di questions

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am considering buying a RODI unit. The "RO buddie + DI" is fairly affordable and it suits my needs.
So here are my questions to those who have experience with this unit:
1) How was your overall experience with it?
2) If I want to replace the carbon, sediment filter, cartridge, or the DI resin, do I need to buy them from Aquatic Life exclusively? Or can I just buy replacements from anywhere like most other RODI units?
3) How long do the original filters last? (approx.)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am considering buying a RODI unit. The "RO buddie + DI" is fairly affordable and it suits my needs.
2) If I want to replace the carbon, sediment filter, cartridge, or the DI resin, do I need to buy them from Aquatic Life exclusively? Or can I just buy replacements from anywhere like most other RODI units?

1. I do not have one so can not answer the first question
2. Yes you will have to use their filters.
3. That will depend on the quality and volume of your water.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, I bought a bag of DI crystals and change it out myself as needed. Sediment filters are brand specific but are easy to get off Amazon. I have upper hundreds in TDS coming in from municipal water, 9 after RO membrane and zero TDS water final product. I’ve filled a 29 gallon brute at least twice with numbers remaining constant.

I have a 13.5 evo so it fits my needs.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using mine about a year now, its been very realiable. My tap TDS is 178, the RO buddy brings it down to 0. My only negative is that its very slow, it takes about 4 hours to fill a 5 gallon bucket. But its fine for my 32 gallon. I live in a condo, and its pretty small and stores away easily.

The DI cartridge I replace about every 5-ish months, the other cartridges I recently replaced, so about once a year. Can get the replacement cartridges from any where, but shop around, my LFS is about $10 cheaper than amazon.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using mine about a year now, its been very realiable. My tap TDS is 178, the RO buddy brings it down to 0. My only negative is that its very slow, it takes about 4 hours to fill a 5 gallon bucket. But its fine for my 32 gallon. I live in a condo, and its pretty small and stores away easily.

The DI cartridge I replace about every 5-ish months, the other cartridges I recently replaced, so about once a year. Can get the replacement cartridges from any where, but shop around, my LFS is about $10 cheaper than amazon.
If it matters, the di crystal cartridge can be opened and the crystals are replaceable wo having to replace the entire cartridge.

what’s your water pressure? It takes me about a lil over and hour to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, well over a year and only have had to replace the DI resins with stuff off amazon. It takes me about 40 mins in the summer to fill a 5 gallon, and about an hour in the winter. I think some filters would be ava through amazon.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matters, the di crystal cartridge can be opened and the crystals are replaceable wo having to replace the entire cartridge.

what’s your water pressure? It takes me about a lil over and hour to fill a 5 gallon bucket.
Thanks, I didnt know that. Do you have a pic or something for the replaceable crystals you use?

I guess my water pressure sucks, I'll take a look at that seperately, thanks.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, I bought a bag of DI crystals and change it out myself as needed. Sediment filters are brand specific but are easy to get off Amazon. I have upper hundreds in TDS coming in from municipal water, 9 after RO membrane and zero TDS water final product. I’ve filled a 29 gallon brute at least twice with numbers remaining constant.

I have a 13.5 evo so it fits my needs.
So the only thing that can be bought outside of aquatic life is the DI resin, other than that all the filters/cartridges have to be from aquatic life right?

PS: these are the replacements id have to buy about once a year correct? https://www.amazon.ae/Aquatic-Life-...ld=1&keywords=ro+buddie&qid=1630504894&sr=8-3

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can buy all replacements on amazon.
they are okay i still mix in Dr Tims watersafe into my RODI water as a percaution.
i change out the filters every 3 months.
they last supposely 6 months or certain gallon number it should say on the filters on how many gallons they are good for.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this rodi unit and I’ll answer some of your questions
Pretty good. Standard as it can get. Makes my water in an hour and a half. We also have really good tap water, so depending on the TDS of your water, it could take longer or shorter amounts of time. Note: you should buy some stuff like flush valves, tds meter, and pressure gauges for the unit and to extend the life of the unit as well as know when to replace the filters. I’ll have links for the flush valve I have on mine in the description. I need to get a pressure gauge and TDS but it’s money I don’t want to spend right now.
No. You can buy all the replacement filters on Amazon. I have to buy the same sediment and carbon cartridges that AL makes but I buy the cheaper RO filters. Be careful on the way you buy these filters. When I was buying my last filters, buying in a combo was more expensive than buying individually which was weird. I’ll have links for the ones I get.
Depends on water TDS. They claim 6 months for sediment and carbon and 1-2 years for RO, but I personally wouldn’t keep an RO filter for longer than a year even on a good water source. Just my opinion though.
Here’s the links:

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I got and looks like Ima get 2 fillings with a little left over. There’s videos on YouTube that run you through the changing process. Biggest takeaway is that it must be packed tightly. It’s not difficult to do at all.

Kolar Labs - LANXESS DI Color Changing Deionization Resin – for Fish Tanks, Ponds & Aquariums, Reef Aquarium Grade

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only thing that can be bought outside of aquatic life is the DI resin, other than that all the filters/cartridges have to be from aquatic life right?

PS: these are the replacements id have to buy about once a year correct? https://www.amazon.ae/Aquatic-Life-...ld=1&keywords=ro+buddie&qid=1630504894&sr=8-3
You can get the RO membrane from DOW also if I’m correct. I just went with the RO buddie brand for it. They rarely need to be replaced. I just made the error of running hot attic water through it unknowingly that it would ruin the membrane. I’ve had it almost 10 months and haven’t had to replace the sediment filters yet.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone that left their feedback, would you recommend that I buy it? Or do you think it is better if I just buy any other generic RODI unit?

My main concern right now is that I have to replace it with AL replacement filters only. I dont live in the US so my only source of replacements would be from my amazon.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone that left their feedback, would you recommend that I buy it? Or do you think it is better if I just buy any other generic RODI unit?

My main concern right now is that I have to replace it with AL replacement filters only. I dont live in the US so my only source of replacements would be from my amazon.
FWIW, my source of filter replacement is Amazon. I’m happy with my purchase.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this filter and have gotten (so far) around 300 gallons of 0 tds water out of it, I’m probably going to need to replace some of the cartridges soon, but I think for a nano tank its a good deal. If I had a larger tank, I would get at least a 150gpd filter, but considering I only need 6-10 gallons of water a week, its more than adequate.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall its not the best RODI unit out their.. alot of people will tell you on here to buy a real RODI unit.. which i can say i agree with them but i cant as im renting a apartment which means i cant install a walled unit. what makes this one work for me is that its small and i can take it down and store it after use.

my advice is though to change out the sediment filter more often then 3months if your using it heavy as it gets dirty fast and your be able to see how dirty it gets. At least mine does as my city tap water is bad dirty...

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got approximately 200-300 gallons but I’m sure I could have gotten more had I not ran hot water through the membrane. So far with my new membrane and new DI resin I’ve gotten close to 100 gallons and my TDS monitor still reads 9 after membrane and 0 after DI.

Back