Ro Carbon filter sump

reefandfish85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this was asked yet but......

Since I don't always run carbon and having sit in the reactor and to be run every now and then , would be easier just to use let's say 5" RO housing with carbon and maybe 30 micron pre filter (if one at all) ? I'm sure getting carbon in bulk is probably cheaper but if you can filter thousands of water to make your RODI it should work too, specially if you but some can't of pre filter so it does not clog too fast

this is just a thought as I don't have too much room under my tank (waterbox 90.3) to run a lot of media reactors

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this was asked yet but......

Since I don't always run carbon and having sit in the reactor and to be run every now and then , would be easier just to use let's say 5" RO housing with carbon and maybe 30 micron pre filter (if one at all) ? I'm sure getting carbon in bulk is probably cheaper but if you can filter thousands of water to make your RODI it should work too, specially if you but some can't of pre filter so it does not clog too fast

this is just a thought as I don't have too much room under my tank (waterbox 90.3) to run a lot of media reactors
The only issue I can see is that RO style filters are meant to be used under pressure and carbon in a reactor is not. If you do not have a pump to push enough pressure into an RO style carbon block, I wonder if flow through the block would be the same as if running through a reactor. Not sure on that, but would be something I would look into before running one, as carbon blocks for RO are usually packed a lot tighter than some carbon in a reactor.

OP
OP
R

reefandfish85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I can see is that RO style filters are meant to be used under pressure and carbon in a reactor is not. If you do not have a pump to push enough pressure into an RO style carbon block, I wonder if flow through the block would be the same as if running through a reactor. Not sure on that, but would be something I would look into before running one, as carbon blocks for RO are usually packed a lot tighter than some carbon in a reactor.
True did not think of that

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back