RO VS. RO/DI

LagoonBafoon

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2024
Messages
64
Reaction score
73
Location
mississippi
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a 4 stage RO/DI unit for making my water but have quite a complicated setup. I am on a well, and have a high concentration of CO2 in my well water which eats through DI resin extremely fast and am currently having to off gas my water between the RO and DI stages. This means I have to filter the water into a brute can, then run a pump in that can for 24 hours before pumping it through the DI resin. My TDS after the RO is typically 2-3 and goes to 0 after the DI. Because of having to have an extra storage container to off gas, I cannot mix the water in my house and have to have everything in my shed. I’m on a large piece of property so the shed where I’m mixing my water is not close to the house, approximately 250 yards from my front door to the shed, so this makes everything much less convenient. I’ve been considering eliminating the DI stage in just for the convenience of being able to mix water at the house have avoided doing it so far because of being hesitant about running 2-3 tds in the tank. So, given the circumstances above, would you run 2-3 tds RO water or keep up with the multiple bins, off gassing process, hauling water from down the road and getting 0 TDS?
 
I would probably want to know what that 2-3 was.

My degassing chamber is a 4" piece of pvc that over flows into a 5 gallon container that get pumps thru the DI
 
I would probably want to know what that 2-3 was.

My degassing chamber is a 4" piece of pvc that over flows into a 5 gallon container that get pumps thru the DI
Have any pics of your setup? Would definitely like to make it more convenient if possible.
 
Have any pics of your setup? Would definitely like to make it more convenient if possible.

This is what I have. It is confusing since there is lots of house plumbing in the area.

The degassing chamber is the vertical PVC strapped to the stud. It has an air pump that runs while making water.
It over flows into the blue jug on the floor that is set up with a high/low tank controller that pumps water thru the DI.

I tried to set it up gravity flow but could never get it to work constantly.


IMG_7635.JPG
 
I had t seen this one but I’ll be giving this setup a try. Thank you
Lots of people use Tap water (dechloranated/de-chloramined) for ATO - but it greatly depends on the chemical analysis of your water. Curious, what is the pH of your water pre and post RO (not RODI)
 
I am currently running a 4 stage RO/DI unit for making my water but have quite a complicated setup. I am on a well, and have a high concentration of CO2 in my well water which eats through DI resin extremely fast and am currently having to off gas my water between the RO and DI stages. This means I have to filter the water into a brute can, then run a pump in that can for 24 hours before pumping it through the DI resin. My TDS after the RO is typically 2-3 and goes to 0 after the DI. Because of having to have an extra storage container to off gas, I cannot mix the water in my house and have to have everything in my shed. I’m on a large piece of property so the shed where I’m mixing my water is not close to the house, approximately 250 yards from my front door to the shed, so this makes everything much less convenient. I’ve been considering eliminating the DI stage in just for the convenience of being able to mix water at the house have avoided doing it so far because of being hesitant about running 2-3 tds in the tank. So, given the circumstances above, would you run 2-3 tds RO water or keep up with the multiple bins, off gassing process, hauling water from down the road and getting 0 TDS?
Get an ICP test done for your RO filtered water and find out what is in it. IT might be fine to use depending on what is in your well water? Someone on here has well water that is naturally high in calcium and alkalinity and they don't have to filter it before they mix salt water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new