RODI Drinking Water System Issues when tank full

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with my 5 stage RODI system with drinking water add-on. As of right now, I do not have the DI caniser plumbed in, but just the sediment, 2 x carbon block and 2 x 75gpd RODI membranes and the 2 gallon pressurized tank going to a RO faucet (non-airgap)

What I have noticed is that when the tank gets full, the back pressure will make the unit start to make a wierd whining noise. It will kind of go on and off, then the unit pressure will kick back on, like I turned the supply line back on. I had to keep the supply line off to make it not make that noise.

I was told it was the auto-shutoff valve, so I got another one. When I hooked the new one up and turned it on, there was a different sound and water was pouring out of the drain line.

This video is with the new auto shut off valve and the water on, drinking tank full. The sound at the end, when I turn off the red supply line valve, is what it would do before the new auto shut off was installed.

I am hoping I can leave the supply line on all the time and it wont make any noise or have waste water pouring out when the drinking tank is full. I also bought a new check valve elbow for before he auto shutoff valve, like in the instructions, but havent installed it yet

Video:

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking into a permeate pump. They are interesting. They use just the flow from the waste line to add pressure to the water coming out of the product line to the storage tank so the system doesn't run forever trying to fight the back pressure coming from the pressure tank. I think this could solve that problem.

brawthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't sure if this is the case from the OP, but please note:

please DO NOT drink ro/di water regularly. your body will literally start shutting down.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you have adequate pressure (anything above ~45 psi), the auto shut off valve should work pretty flawlessly. The only other component that could be the issue is that check valve that you mentioned. Usually when there is an issue with one of our RO systems continuing to produce waste water after the float is triggered or the tank is full, we send out both parts. It's practically impossible to tell which one is the issue, so there is a bit of trial and error there.

It sounds silly, I'd also make sure that the auto shut off valve is pointed in the right direction. There should be a little arrow on the ASOV with the direction of the flow.

Assuming that's not the issue, this system (and really any system with a pressurized tank) could benefit from a permeate pump. This "pump" works by plumbing the waste water in one end and the product in the other. Since the waste water flows faster, it spins the internal components and helps reduce back pressure in the product line. This could not only solve your issue, but will also help the RO system perform more efficiently and lead to faster water production.

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy a check valve for before the ASO valve. I might as well try that. I don't believe I had r water water running like it does when the tank is full, before I replaced the ASO valve, so it's probably both.

Does using the shortest lines possible help also? I am hoping this thing runs pretty flawlessly once fixed

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a check valve installed between the permeate line and the aso valve?

You should not have a check valve between the last carbon block to aso or aso to ro input(hope that makes sense).

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't sure if this is the case from the OP, but please note:

please DO NOT drink ro/di water regularly. your body will literally start shutting down.

Aside from being off topic, this isn't true and has been a myth in this hobby for as long as I can remember.

brawthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a check valve installed between the permeate line and the aso valve?

You should not have a check valve between the last carbon block to aso or aso to ro input(hope that makes sense).

It's not " a myth in the hobby". It's an actual, health concern (as is drinking alkaline water as your primary source). The WHO advises against usind de-mineralized water as your primary source of drinking water for extended periods of time. Here's such an example:
. Or this: https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientsindw.pdf

Moreover, the OP mentioned a drinking water peripheral, so I mentioned it.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not " a myth in the hobby". It's an actual, health concern (as is drinking alkaline water as your primary source). The WHO advises against usind de-mineralized water as your primary source of drinking water for extended periods of time. Here's such an example:

Think you quoted the wrong post. Never mentioned anything about drinking ro/di.

However, I do have my ro line feeding the ice maker and faucet on my fridge. With all the stories of lead and other unwanted chemicals in municiple water, I feel good about my decision;)

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you actually read through the WHO report, you'll never find any mention of "organ failure" or other dire concerns from drinking deionized water. The only mentions of any intestinal problems were dismissed with counter studies, e.g.:

Williams (4) reported that distilled water introduced into the intestine caused abnormal
changes in epithelial cells of rats, possibly due to osmotic shock. However, the same conclusions
were not reached by Schumann et al. (5) in a more recent study based on 14-day experiments in
rats. Histology did not reveal any signs of erosion, ulceration or inflammation in the oesophagus,
stomach and jejunum. Altered secretory function in animals (i.e., increased secretion and acidity
of gastric juice) and altered stomach muscle tone were reported in studies for WHO (3), but
currently available data have not unambiguously demonstrated a direct negative effect of low
mineral content water on the gastrointestinal mucous membrane.
Kozisek

The main two concerns the WHO has with DI water is the lack of calcium and magnesium - simply because in areas where a person might not have access to proper nutrition, they might not get enough of those minerals in their diet.

In a western diet, you're getting more than enough from your food.

Stabilization of demineralized and corrosive drinking water should be done where possible
with additives that will increase or reestablish calcium and magnesium levels. The general
public and health professionals should have access to information on the composition of
community supplies and bottled water.
WHO Conclusions

So, again, the claim that DI water causes organ failure is a myth, started from people who don't know how to read fully through a research paper.

Back