RODI Issue

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wondering if someone can help troubleshoot a problem that's recently started with my unit. I have the Typhoon III unit w/a Aquatec 8800 booster pump and electric solenoid that's controlled by a Avast Marine ATO unit.

When ATO sensor shuts the RODI off, water will continue to trickle out of the DI line of the RODI causing the reservoir to overflow.

While producing water the pressure gauge reads 78-80 psi while the unit is running. After the unit shuts off the gauge reads 3-5 psi and water will continue to discharge from both the DI and Wastewater lines.

I've replaced the ASOV to no avail. Any thoughts as to what's causing this to happen?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wondering if someone can help troubleshoot a problem that's recently started with my unit. I have the Typhoon III unit w/a Aquatec 8800 booster pump and electric solenoid that's controlled by a Avast Marine ATO unit.

When ATO sensor shuts the RODI off, water will continue to trickle out of the DI line of the RODI causing the reservoir to overflow.

While producing water the pressure gauge reads 78-80 psi while the unit is running. After the unit shuts off the gauge reads 3-5 psi and water will continue to discharge from both the DI and Wastewater lines.

I've replaced the ASOV to no avail. Any thoughts as to what's causing this to happen?
Does the 'overflow' ever stop?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually, but by then the reservoir has overflowed.

About 3-4 feet .

What do you mean by eventually. What volume of water continues to come out after it's shutoff?

How close to the top is it triggered to turn off?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet there's water moving the wrong way somewhere in the system, allowing it to bypass the ASOV (assuming you have a float valve and the water is moving up past it). I *think* you're supposed to add a check valve in there somewhere, but I've never had the need for one.
Personally, instead of using something to remotely open and close the outlet, like a float, I remotely open and close the inlet. I have an electrically actuated quarter turn valve that supplies the RODI system. When the system isn't in use, the valve is off and no new water can enter it.

The valve I have is nice since it doesn't use power to open and close, it only uses power to open, then closes on it's own when power is removed, which would likely give you the ability to use your same switch to trigger this instead of, or in addition to, the pump.

ETA
Wait wait wait, are you using a float? I mean, if you are, when the water got above it, it'll shut off the flow of water into the bucket. The ASOV is used in combination with this to make sure the pump shuts down properly. If you don't have a float valve in your ATO bucket, I'll bet the addition of that (and making sure the ASOV is properly connected) will fix your problem.
But still, look into shutting off the incoming water instead. Personally, I find that to be the better option. Even with a float as well, it adds redundancy.

OP
OP
xabo

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you mean by eventually. What volume of water continues to come out after it's shutoff?

How close to the top is it triggered to turn off?
The turn off is 3" from the top of the reservoir. Water is apparently draining from within the unit as when I turn off the water supply valve water continues to run from the unit through both the line from the DI and the drain line from the membrane.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The turn off is 3" from the top of the reservoir. Water is apparently draining from within the unit as when I turn off the water supply valve water continues to run from the unit through both the line from the DI and the drain line from the membrane.

You need a check valve then, I understand what your saying now.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is this solenoid located?
I'm confused there as well. It's not between the filter and the bucket since that would shut off the water flowing out of the filter. It's not between the water source and the filter, since that would stop water from entering the system. So, it's either in the wrong place altogether (or the right place for some other application, but not this one), it's not a solenoid valve but OP mixing up 'solenoid valve' with something else (ie relay to control the pump) or it's a solenoid valve but for something unrelated to this, like gravity feeding from the bucket into the tank.

In any case, if OP has an actual solenoid valve that can be opened and closed based on water level in the reservoir (and everything is in good working order), it might just mean a few things need to be rearranged.

OP
OP
xabo

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well........don't I feel special! After further review I had the lines going in/out of the solenoid reversed. The solenoid has a direction of flow arrow and I had the supply line plumbed into the output side. Will monitor and see if that resolves this.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it's pilot operated. Pilot operated valves use the water pressure to help (or the difference on either side of the valve) to help it stay open or stay closed. I imagine having it backwards would cause problems since the high pressure and low pressure would be reversed.

Also, I see that it's a latching valve. Just for kicks, when it's open, unplug it. It should remain open, in which case that could present a problem in the even you lose power (or it gets unplugged) and continues to allow water to flow (if it can move through a non-running pump).

If this does create the potential for it to flood, look into replacing it with valve that fails closed, meaning if it loses power it'll stop stop the flow of water through it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back