OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the case the carbon fines would cause the membrane to prematurely go bad. So that may be the best TDS output your going to get until a new membrane is installed.

I have a bypass valve after my carbon blocks so that when I install a new one it flushes down the drain for a good 5-10+ minutes before I send any water to the membrane.
I'm thinking I may purchase a few bypass valves as well so that it's much easier to test the water between stages.

Also, should I go with a second mixed DI stage or is it just better to have the 3 stage DI in general? I just want to verify since a single DI addition is around $35 and an additional set of 2 stages with the 3 DI mixes is around $135

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I may purchase a few bypass valves as well so that it's much easier to test the water between stages.

Also, should I go with a second mixed DI stage or is it just better to have the 3 stage DI in general? I just want to verify since a single DI addition is around $35 and an additional set of 2 stages with the 3 DI mixes is around $135
A second mixed would work, just rotate them once you get a reading out of the first and place a new in the second.

The 3 separate would be ideal, but if space is a concern you can go with dual mixed beds.

Let me find a file I have for RO setups.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second mixed would work, just rotate them once you get a reading out of the first and place a new in the second.

The 3 separate would be ideal, but if space is a concern you can go with dual mixed beds.

Let me find a file I have for RO setups.
Yeah, I have the system stored under the kitchen sink in my apartment. Unfortunately space is limited

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.PNG
2.PNG

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first image is for running a single RO, like you would be running, the second is if you are running 2 RO membranes.

If you have any questions let me know.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful info for others who come across this thread ^_^

That and to purge your carbon blocks down to a waste line before sending it to your RO membrane! :p

Hopefully once @Schraufabagel replaces the membrane we can get an update us on the new TDS value and it is closer to 10 vs the 20 seeing now.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I ordered stuff to make a second DI canister, some more RO tubing to correctly color code the system, a replacement RO membrane, and 2 valves so that I can create a bypass drain line after the carbon block. BRS usually delivers pretty fast, so hopefully it'll be here by the end of Friday. I'll update the thread once I install all of the new stuff. Hopefully not rinsing the carbon block and bypassing it until the water runs clear was the issue.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I ordered stuff to make a second DI canister, some more RO tubing to correctly color code the system, a replacement RO membrane, and 2 valves so that I can create a bypass drain line after the carbon block. BRS usually delivers pretty fast, so hopefully it'll be here by the end of Friday. I'll update the thread once I install all of the new stuff. Hopefully not rinsing the carbon block and bypassing it until the water runs clear was the issue.

I hope so too, cause I was running out of possibilities.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I saw an email about their warehouse being closed due to inventory for a few days.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So probably early next week then. Shouldn't be an issue

Spectrapure is another option to order pieces/parts/filters from.

That's where I grab most of mine from, if I'm already doing a BRS order and I know I need something I'll grab from BRS, but otherwise it's almost exclusively Spectrapure

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would disconnect the ro buddy and then check your readings. you have 2 sources that can be causing it,
eliminate one, before you spend money on filters.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would disconnect the ro buddy and then check your readings. you have 2 sources that can be causing it,
eliminate one, before you spend money on filters.
I did do that as someone recommended above and I saw the same numbers unfortunately. Plus the PSI was running at only 40 from the water source

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry didnt read the whole thread.
i would prefer to manually flush it. i had a 200 gpd with 2 membranes, built in booster pump, auto flush and never got 0 tds. was nothing but a headache. went back to my air water and ice for 0 tds

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have recommended going with a spectrapure 99% rejection rate membrane. They used to guarantee 99% but I don't think they do anymore. I have around 450 tds tap water and get a 3 to 4 after the RO membrane after 3 years in use.

Also, flushing the membrane is worthless in my opinion. There is no study/proof that confirms this, just a bunch of companies selling the necessary accessories to do it pushing it. Also not sure that running your carbon filter without unhooking your RO membrane would hurt it short term. I've been running ROs for over 25 years and didn't start unhooking the RO membrane for new carbon filters until a couple of years ago and I never ruined an RO membrane.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a new membrane and the second DI resin chamber. The PSI is sitting around 85 and I'm still getting 36 TDS out of the membrane. I'm starting to think that the Dow membranes from BRS are just crap if it's like this

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back