RODI Pressure with Booster Pump

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 7 stage BRS RODI unit 75gpd with the water saver for 150 gpd for several years. I maintain the unit changing filters, etc on a regular basis when needed. Up until 4-5 months I have been only getting about 42-44 psi for water pressure, so I just added the Aquatec booster pump that works with this RODI system today.

I just started making water again and the water pressure doubled and is now 86 psi.
- Is the water pressure too high now?
- Should I adjust the booster pump to lower the water pressure and to what psi?
- Should I leave it where it is?

I have read that when pushing 90psi, it can be too much psi on RODI systems and can damage them. This is the first time I am using a booster pump.
Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you.

OP
OP
tkd

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, KStatefan. I will leave it as it is. It is amazing how much faster I am making water now.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends upon where you have the pump installed in the system. Do you have the pump before the prefilters, or after the prefilters?

Russ

OP
OP
tkd

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have left the PSI where it is. at 85 Been working great, huge difference.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand that the weakest components in your system (in terms of ability to withstand pressure) are the clear housings. They are typically rated at a max of 80 psi. So to be a little conservative, we recommend no more than 75 psi in the housings.

For this reason we recommend putting the pump AFTER the prefilter housings. All downstream components that will then see the high pump pressure (fittings, tubing, RO membrane housing, RO membrane) can handle higher pressures.

The recommended configuration is shown in the graphic below, assuming you're using a high pressure switch to control the electrical circuit. You may or may not be using all the electrified components shown in the schematic.

Dashed red lines are electrical wires; blue lines are tubing carrying water.

Russ

Booster-Pump-High-Pressure-Switch.PNG

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’ve never heard that the filter housing should be at that low of a pressure. I’ve been meaning to change my booster pump to after the sediment and carbon so maybe this weekend I’ll change my plumbing around.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my booster set to 90 psi and before the pre-filter, will be lowering the psi and swap the booster to after pre-filters on my next batch. On a side note, whenever I flush I turn off the booster. Is it recommended to leave it on when flushing?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the same setup (150 GPD) for 5 years now with booster pump at about 85 psi. Never had any problem. Those BRS housings are super thick. Occasionally when my reservoir tops off and the float switch kicks in, the system deadheads to drain and still no leaks. I leave the booster on when flushing, but really never considered it could be a problem.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave your booster pump on while flushing. And YES - put your pump AFTER your prefilter housings.

Use of a small strainer is an option after your prefilters and before the pump to keep any carbon fines out of the pump.

Russ

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back