RODI unit not making water

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a new tank and moved my RODI unit from my laundry room to under my kitchen sink. My tank is directly on the other side of the wall of the kitchen that the sinks sits on, so I and plumbed the unit directly to the ATO reservoir. It has 2 Optical sensors, a solenoid valve, and a mechanical float valve as a backup, and also a moisture sensor connected to my Apex.

I noticed prior to moving my unit that I had not depleted any DI resin in months. I got this unit second hand and figured there must be something wrong with it. I discovered that the DIY resin cartridge was installed upside down so I corrected that. I decided to get a new auto shut-off valve, and all new tubing. I connected all new tubing but now the unit will not put out any product water. Thinking that maybe the water wasn't reaching the RO membrane I disconnected the lines to the membrane. As expected, nothing was coming out of the product line. However, the drain line was working in full force.I ended up with water all over the floor for a short period of time. I did notice that the RO membrane housing had a leaky push connect fitting, so I did order a new housing set up and ordered a new RO membrane while I was at it.
I am assuming the membrane must be bad. What else would cause the membrane to put out only waste water and no product water 20181110_104319.jpg 20181110_104314.jpg 20181110_104255.jpg 20181110_104251.jpg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a plugged check valve? Or the drain valve I can’t remember the name of it ( I think it’s the flow valve) is stuck in the flush position.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the auto shut off is installed backwards. The product water lines (blue) should be on the side where the screws go through to hold the two pieces together.
upload_2018-11-10_10-16-25.png

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In pic #4, the device in the blue tube between the TDS sensor and the auto shutoff looks like a restrictor. The waste line should have a restrictor, not the product line. If there is no restrictor in the waste line, you won't get any production to your reservoir.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In pic #4, the device in the blue tube between the TDS sensor and the auto shutoff looks like a restrictor. The waste line should have a restrictor, not the product line. If there is no restrictor in the waste line, you won't get any production to your reservoir.
I don't think thats a restrictor, I think its a check valve, so flow can only go one way, and when the pressure starts to build up, its activates the shut off valve.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think thats a restrictor, I think its a check valve, so flow can only go one way, and when the pressure starts to build up, its activates the shut off valve.
Ahh, OK. In that case, make sure the check valve is correctly oriented and that the restrictor is in place in the waste line, the restrictor is very important to operation and the OP says the waste line is running at full force!. I don't have an auto shutoff valve in my aquarium RODI so can't look at orientation.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aso valve will be labeled “in” and “out”. these need to be inline with your membrane, with the lines connected to appropriate holes. the other connectors are for the product water.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if there was no flow restrictive in place, there should be product water. so something else is wrong here.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I see the flow restrictor, white canister labeled "FLOW 800" with an arrow. That means 800ml/minute, roughly 300 gal/day. That is sized for a 100ish gal/ day membrane. Do you know what membrane you have?

even if there was no flow restrictive in place, there should be product water. so something else is wrong here.
Mine won't produce any water while I have my flush valve open but mine goes up to the ceiling to go into the house where my water barrels are, so may have head pressure.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I see the flow restrictor, white canister labeled "FLOW 800" with an arrow. That means 800ml/minute, roughly 300 gal/day. That is sized for a 100ish gal/ day membrane. Do you know what membrane you have?

Mine won't produce any water while I have my flush valve open but mine goes up to the ceiling to go into the house where my water barrels are, so may have head pressure.

correct. but the flush valve is different than a flow restrictor. the restrictor controls the waste/product ratio. you can control this ratio to extend the life of your filters, but you compromise on the amount of product water you get. depending on your tap water quality, the general rule is 2:1 or 3:1.

OP
OP
Kyle Rinker

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The membrane is for sure 100 gpd

OP
OP
Kyle Rinker

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus points to @Crabs Mcjones. The lines were inverted on the shutoff valve. Now I'm making water again. And I swear I checked the lines on that thing 20 times before posting here. @Alexreefer the pressure is at 50, which is what is recommended for this membrane. Thank you to everyone. Man I swear I can grow corals well and do some cool things with aquascapes and understand lighting pretty well. But this RODI setup had me in a tangle. Sometimes it takes a village! Thanks to all.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus points to @Crabs Mcjones. The lines were inverted on the shutoff valve. Now I'm making water again. And I swear I checked the lines on that thing 20 times before posting here. @Alexreefer the pressure is at 50, which is what is recommended for this membrane. Thank you to everyone. Man I swear I can grow corals well and do some cool things with aquascapes and understand lighting pretty well. But this RODI setup had me in a tangle. Sometimes it takes a village! Thanks to all.
You're welcome ;)

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this thread. Glad you got it figured out. A couple of other things so people don't get confused:
even if there was no flow restrictive in place, there should be product water.
If you have no flow restrictor, you'll have next to no pressure in the RO membrane housing, and at most just drips of RO water produced.

...depending on your tap water quality, the general rule is 2:1 or 3:1
The default setting should be a 4:1, unless you know something about your tap water that suggests less waste water won't scale the membrane.

Russ

Last edited:

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!!
Both to the person who figured it out and the OP. I know this thread is old but I was searching why our new RODI would produce waste but not push water through the membrane and this was the exact problem!! Intake and output lines were swapped...came out of the box like that!

You guys saved us from going crazy!!

Mau1J1m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!!
Both to the person who figured it out and the OP. I know this thread is old but I was searching why our new RODI would produce waste but not push water through the membrane and this was the exact problem!! Intake and output lines were swapped...came out of the box like that!

You guys saved us from going crazy!!

Another 2+ years later, but tack on an additional huge thank you to @Homelander and OP!

Spent over an hour fiddling with a fresh-out-the-box BRS 150 water saver and was about to call it quits before finally stumbling across this post....two minutes later, and that clean-clean is flowing! :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another 2+ years later, but tack on an additional huge thank you to @Homelander and OP!

Spent over an hour fiddling with a fresh-out-the-box BRS 150 water saver and was about to call it quits before finally stumbling across this post....two minutes later, and that clean-clean is flowing! :)
Glad to hear it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back