Rodi water and storage containers

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by vdubreefer, Feb 27, 2018.

1. vdubreefer

vdubreefer Active Member

Hey BRS , I’ve been thinking and wondering , i use the same 60 g poly tank that you guys do (or at least similar, i bought it brand new sanitized it, and it always has the lid on and tight , I’ve noticed that my water will leave my last di stage of my 6 stage BRS rodi unit at 0 tds, and after 12 hrs or so of being stored in my poly tank the tds reads about 5-20 tds ,
    I’ve heard bits and pieces of people saying 0 tds rodi water tends to be negatively charged and want to pull things into it (ions and matter and such ) thus causing 0tds water to increase in tds , i dunno how true this is, I’m curious for sure !
    My storage tank only sees fresh saltwater, i don’t use it for top off water because as anyone who has used these tanks before knows that it is very hard to get all of the water completely out of the tank due to how the bulk head is mounted there is always a inch or so (give or take how hard you try to get all the water out ) so maybe in my case I’m getting a tds reading is the leftover saltwater mixed with the fresh RODI water thus raising the TDS ,, what do you guys think ??????

Tags:

2. SonoranReefer

SonoranReefer Member

I’m sure BRS will reply but try taking a TDS of fresh mixed saltwater sometime. Your TDS meter will max out from all of the stuff in the salt mix. Besides salt there is all kinds of stuff added for coral health if you are using a “reef salt” like Reef Crystals or in my case RSCP.

More in relation to your post, I do weekly to bi-weekly water changes of about 10-20g. Right after mixing my salt water I always dump out the last little bit I can’t get out of the plastic can and make 10-20g more of RODI water so I always have some RODI around to mix if a tank emergency arises and I need to do a quick water change.

Anyways after filling up the can one time I checked the TDS, it showed I want to say around 20TDS and I knew my water was making 000. I didn’t understand and took the can out and threw the water down the drain thinking my DI was shot or something. Stared making more water and it was 000. Then it dawned on me making salt mix in it left all that residue behind even though the can was empty.

Just because I took the can outside and rinsed it out good with my top off water that I keep in those 5g jugs. Then made 15 more gallons of RODI in the can and it was reading 0 again.

So I don’t worry about it anymore now that I know the reading it is picking up is left over salt mix and all the stuff in it. I just always make sure the water going into it is 0TDS.

TL:DR, a tiny bit of saltwater mix with a bunch of fresh RODI will for sure show up on your TDS meter!

Zack@BRS and themcfreak like this.
  3. vdubreefer

vdubreefer Active Member

After i wrote the post i got thinking about that, that’s probably exactly what is happening!! Thanks for your input tho ! Glad to see it’s not my rodi or storage container!!

4. Zack@BRS

Zack@BRS Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I would have to agree. It's most likely residue left behind from salt mix. Plastic containers can sometimes leach small amounts of plasticizers, but not enough to impact your TDS like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted