Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191217_200458.jpg

I've never had a problem with those 3 touching.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the brighter-colored ones are from deeper in the water they must not have huge par needs, right?

I've been digging around and seen that some dealers keep them as low as maybe 50-70 par, so I've been starting to wonder what their actual needs are. I've seen a lot of people report keeping then in biocubes, which are apparently only 38-61 par.

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the brighter-colored ones are from deeper in the water they must not have huge par needs, right?

I've been digging around and seen that some dealers keep them as low as maybe 50-70 par, so I've been starting to wonder what their actual needs are. I've seen a lot of people report keeping then in biocubes, which are apparently only 38-61 par.
That is correct - these guys don’t need a ton of par to survive. Especially if you spot feed them. (They have a super cool feeding response as well!)

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two points:

1) The more colorful ones do come from deeper water and therefore do have lower PAR needs. But if they have been kept in tanks with high PAR and other corals, they could intake zooxanthellae that would do better photosynthesis with more light. Mine get about 150 to 200 PAR.

2) Because they don't do photosynthesis as well as the more shallow varieties, I think it's very much more important that they do get fed. I lost a couple because I assumed they would be like the 'plain' RFA that I collect in the Keys when snorkeling. I never fed them and they do great!

Extra credit: I have RFA and maxi'mini anemones touching without issue. I only have one tiny RBTA and it's not close to any RFA so I have no data on that score.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you know, I am currently in the process of tearing down my 40g cube and replacing it with a 90g DIY 36"x30"x20" tank. During the process I have had to move rocks, corals, fish... everybody, including close to 30 RFA's in PVC end caps. They have been moved several times now as I'm doing work on the rockscape and sand in the new tank.

I have not confirmed this yet, but in moving my RFA in end cap around from tank to tank to tank, I think the RFA like having sand in the end cap. The ones I've had that got filled with sand (after the RFA was well settled in, seem to be happy to stay in the end cap. The ones that have been in end caps without sand are a bit more inclined to move out. I had about 15 RFA in caps without sand and after each move 1 or 2 of them would climb out of the end cap and stay attached to the outside edge of the end cap at, or just below the level of the sand surface.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use everything from 1/2" CPVC (because they are smaller than 1/2" PVC) for RFA babies to 2" PVC for full size adults. It's not like I've had to move many as they really don't grow that fast. In fact, the biggest one I have currently is in a 2" and the end cap is full when I bug to retract. So I may even get to using 2 1/2" end caps!

I kind of finished my 'rough draft' of a rockscape with my new pyramid egg crate system. I've never done one like this before so I suspect that over time I'll be doing some refining.

I set all the RFAs in end caps (25+ out of 45+ total) in the sand yesterday. I pressed all of them down so the rim of the end cap was very close to flush with the sand (some just above and some just below the sand surface). Then I pushed a bit of sand in with the smaller RFAs and more sand in with the bigger RFAs. This morning all bu a couple have cleared the sand off their faces and look happy. Later this morning when the white lights come on I'll take some pics and post them.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two points:

1) The more colorful ones do come from deeper water and therefore do have lower PAR needs. But if they have been kept in tanks with high PAR and other corals, they could intake zooxanthellae that would do better photosynthesis with more light. Mine get about 150 to 200 PAR.

2) Because they don't do photosynthesis as well as the more shallow varieties, I think it's very much more important that they do get fed. I lost a couple because I assumed they would be like the 'plain' RFA that I collect in the Keys when snorkeling. I never fed them and they do great!

Extra credit: I have RFA and maxi'mini anemones touching without issue. I only have one tiny RBTA and it's not close to any RFA so I have no data on that score.
In an old tank I had, I had a wondering bta walk into a group of maxi minis....
I’ve never seen an anemone move as fast as that bubbletip did when the maxi stung him. Bta and maxi do not get along

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use everything from 1/2" CPVC (because they are smaller than 1/2" PVC) for RFA babies to 2" PVC for full size adults. It's not like I've had to move many as they really don't grow that fast. In fact, the biggest one I have currently is in a 2" and the end cap is full when I bug to retract. So I may even get to using 2 1/2" end caps!

I kind of finished my 'rough draft' of a rockscape with my new pyramid egg crate system. I've never done one like this before so I suspect that over time I'll be doing some refining.

I set all the RFAs in end caps (25+ out of 45+ total) in the sand yesterday. I pressed all of them down so the rim of the end cap was very close to flush with the sand (some just above and some just below the sand surface). Then I pushed a bit of sand in with the smaller RFAs and more sand in with the bigger RFAs. This morning all bu a couple have cleared the sand off their faces and look happy. Later this morning when the white lights come on I'll take some pics and post them.

Looking forward to the pics!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one take off running and now it's in the back of the tank in almost total darkness. Not sure how long it'll live in that location without lights, but guess it's out of my hands.

Replying to my own thread =)

I laid a small but powerful LED near the wandering RFA to see if I can draw him out of the dark. Did this months back and forgot all about it until I discovered the LED yesterday. And sure enough. the lost RFA moved towards that light so apparently you can draw it out. Not sure how long this took, but call it a RFA fishing. =)

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’re some successful lighting schedules for you folks?

I’ve been doing low light for 7 hours, with full light for 5 in the middle.

Then, 90 minutes later the blue “moon” comes on for 9 hours, which I think might be too much.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’re some successful lighting schedules for you folks?

I’ve been doing low light for 7 hours, with full light for 5 in the middle.

Then, 90 minutes later the blue “moon” comes on for 9 hours, which I think might be too much.
Full lights for 5 hours may be a tiny bit short. Most animals with zooxanthellae do photosynthesis for 4 to 6 hours and they can take up to an hour to get started after enough light has started.

Also, the colorful RFAs may not do photosynthesis as well as other anemones and corals. This is just IMHO and experience. They do come from deeper water where photosynthesis is more difficult. I find they do much better if they are fed regularly. But I have no scientific proof.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of us who are already addicted are used by our overloard the Master Rock Flower to get others addicted. Add snorkeling and you could come live next door to me! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ron and everyone. I get a pack of 5 rock flower anemones from Foxy Saltwater Tropicals about a year ago after seeing the ones in Ron’s tank when we were down there last winter. They were healthy and did well but mostly disappeared behind the rocks when they walked off in my bare bottom tank. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I was having a hydroids infestation and treated with fenbendizole and decided to take out the rocks and swish all the detritus out of them and add sand back to the tank. While cleaning the rocks I found 3 of the anemones they were doing well.

Last weekend I decided to order another 5 pack from Foxy along with some hermit crabs. They were shipped overnight on Monday and were supposed to arrive Tuesday morning. As most of you know Nashville was hit with a tornado early Tuesday morning and there was a lot of damage. The package was delayed and didn’t arrive until Wednesday around 3:00. I was expecting the worst but all 6 (he sent an extra) anemones were alive. I did lose a few hermits but most were alive. I put the anemones on a rock island in he sand and hope they stay there. They attached quickly and I turned the flow back on. The next day I noticed two of them had came loose from the rock and wouldn’t attach again so I put them on a small rock covered with bridal veil. Hopefully they will attach again. Here is a picture of the ones I just got in addition to a larger red one I got from a LFS.
DDC77158-166F-4C1C-9377-EB56B8C3F6A8.jpeg

I have two of the original anemones that have sort of turned inside out for some reason. The first small one has been this way for months and the second one just started doing this a couple of days ago. Any idea what is going on with them?
C77F3841-C8DE-4244-AD8E-45164BE9621B.jpeg
D3C55A30-433F-4920-BE61-B5934776C054.jpeg

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I picked up 4 new RFAs yesterday. Three of them seem happy, but one of them -- I swear he's upside down. The thing is, he won't let me flip him back upside right! Can these guys not flip themselves over?

It's like some part of him (that doesn't appear to be his foot), is stuck to the rock, and I don't want to pull him and hurt him, and at the same time if it's stuck to the rock, why isn't he righting himself?

Thoughts?

IMG_1257.jpg

[EDIT] I got him upright, and he's still attached to that rock. I feel a lot better now, but will be keeping an eye on him. He's pretty young. And no, I have no idea if it's male or female :]

Last edited:

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the original anemones that have sort of turned inside out for some reason. The first small one has been this way for months and the second one just started doing this a couple of days ago. Any idea what is going on with them?
C77F3841-C8DE-4244-AD8E-45164BE9621B.jpeg
D3C55A30-433F-4920-BE61-B5934776C054.jpeg

How're they doing now? I've learned that with RFAs they're much like everything else in reefing -- you need a lot of patience to wait and see what happens. I only got one of them to start, to make sure I could keep him alive and happy, before getting more. I'm glad I did, I panicked enough with just him. He's a real traveler, and has explored most of the tank.

If I had a nickel for every time I've checked in to find him completely ballooned up into just his foot and looking completely distraught to my untrained eye, only to check in an hour later and find him completely splayed out happily in another part of the tank, I'd have a whole bunch of nickels.

I wish he could find a happy spot to settle down in, but he's seemed perfectly healthy for the past month and a half. I feed him 2-3 times/week -- mostly mysis, but now I've been dropping in reef roids on occasion as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back