Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RFA's spawned again tonight. Tank is still cloudy. My anemone (porcelain) crab sat right over the mouth of one of my big RFA's and fed like crazy. The fish are also learning there's something to eat when they spawn. Only 4 of my 8 RFA's joined in this time. Here's a short video.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RFA's spawned again tonight. Tank is still cloudy. My anemone (porcelain) crab sat right over the mouth of one of my big RFA's and fed like crazy. The fish are also learning there's something to eat when they spawn. Only 4 of my 8 RFA's joined in this time. Here's a short video.

oh man I'm jealous.

what is your current feeding routine with these guys?

I'm loading them up every day with reef frenzy and bloodworms

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man I'm jealous.

what is your current feeding routine with these guys?

I'm loading them up every day with reef frenzy and bloodworms

I don't actually spot feed my RFA's. Occasionally if there's a piece in the LRS that's too big for any of my fish to eat I'll feed it to one of the RFA's but mostly they just grab food out of the water column during my twice daily feedings. Despite this they are growing rapidly....well except for the two really large ones that I've had for over 5 years.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't actually spot feed my RFA's. Occasionally if there's a piece in the LRS that's too big for any of my fish to eat I'll feed it to one of the RFA's but mostly they just grab food out of the water column during my twice daily feedings. Despite this they are growing rapidly....well except for the two really large ones that I've had for over 5 years.
interesting.

Humble_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got some rock nems in the tank. Did a 2 hr drip acclimation, and they all looked healthy at first, then the green one in the top left just melted away today after 2 days in the tank. Major disappointment since it was the only one with a green/yellow face. Anybody have experience with this happening? Should I be concerned about the other nems? All other nems and the mixed reef frag tank looks completely fine, and my parameters are stable/normal.

20210108_183238_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@saltyhog , glad to hear about the spawn. Did it happen in the early evening?

Now you get to start the watch for babies. My best guess is it will be 30 to 35 days, but that's still just my experienced best guess. Good luck and fingers crossed you get some good lookers!

@Humble_Reefer , I've had what I thought were RFA 'melting away'. But after my issues with the Copper Banded Butterfly, I'm more inclined to think somebode was causing the issue. Maybe a file fish or a wrasse or a crab?

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do we have any way to sex these things? or is it still just buy a bunch and hope for the best.
There is a way to sex them. It involves killing it and cutting it open. ;Hilarious Seriously, that does work.

But for your live ones, there is no know way to tell male from female. And it's even possible they can change their sex.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a way to sex them. It involves killing it and cutting it open. ;Hilarious Seriously, that does work.

But for your live ones, there is no know way to tell male from female. And it's even possible they can change their sex.

ohh the possible sex change would be interesting, wonder if it would impact the colors of the babies produced.

On another note, one of my ultras was less than half the size it was the night before, but i left for work and only saw it for a few secs, hopefully its back to normal size by tonight and not melted :confused:

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do we have any way to sex these things? or is it still just buy a bunch and hope for the best.
The power heads and return pumps were out on my tank for a couple days and the males released sperm at some point. When I came home I saw them sitting on a pile of it. There was no flow in the tank so it was fairly obvious who the males were. I would imagine you could replicate this fairly easily in a separate tank if you don't want to risk the life of anything else in your display.

A side benefit from that little episode is that i got 40-50 babies a month later. The negative is that i did nothing to try and feed them so only a couple survived more than a year. They are both only the size of a dime to this day (3 or 4 years later).

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power heads and return pumps were out on my tank for a couple days and the males released sperm at some point. When I came home I saw them sitting on a pile of it. There was no flow in the tank so it was fairly obvious who the males were. I would imagine you could replicate this fairly easily in a separate tank if you don't want to risk the life of anything else in your display.

A side benefit from that little episode is that i got 40-50 babies a month later. The negative is that i did nothing to try and feed them so only a couple survived more than a year. They are both only the size of a dime to this day (3 or 4 years later).

wow that little growth in 3-4 years??

now I'm curious how fast they would grow if fed like I feed mine every day.

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine RFA’s just breed yesterday 14Jan21. First time ever witness one of RFA released sperm. I have two around 2in dia, and 2 smaller around 1.5in dia. Went home around 8pm and notice one of the big one stand up positions and releasing sperm. The other big one has mouth open, so i assume its a female? Hopefully to have some babies soon :)

Male releases sperm
35693672-CAFD-4BBB-B338-5DE7C13BA0D1.jpeg
6A0FB370-FCCE-4DE5-9733-DDD58062E430.jpeg

and I assume this one below is female since it has its mouth open
98032C12-B81E-45C3-BA8C-BD33EFE37BC8.jpeg

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that little growth in 3-4 years??

now I'm curious how fast they would grow if fed like I feed mine every day.
Ya. Took 5 or 6 months to get dime size and then just stop growing. Out of 5 or 6 diff birthing events i have never had one grow larger than dime size. Most just disappear when they get to be pencil eraser size.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of points here... not that I am any kind or RFA expert.

I've got a couple of RFA that were born a few years ago and they are now 2+" in diameter. And I only individually feed them about once a month if that often. I do broadcast feed the tank with a wide variety of foods, so they do get food regularly.

I don't know one way or the other if the RFA with the open mouth is a female. It's possible. But I'd give that being an indicator; about a 50:50 chance.

Good luck and we want to hear about babies as soon as you see some. BTW, they are EXTREMELY small at birth. And some fish will eat them, especially Copper Banded Butterfly, file fish and some wrasses.

Back