Rookie questions about cycle and stocking

Makalas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

After having multiple fresh water tank over years and dreaming about setting up reef tank I finally stepping into salt water :) Loads of unknowns but at the same time exciting.

My tank is 50cmx50cmx60cm (h) + sump, total of around 150l of water, Aquaforest dry rock and Aquaforest live sand

I have two totally different question but for starters will drop them here and hope that some clever people will give their opinions.

So finally I filled my tank and trying to cycle it. Added some ammonia and bacteria from the bottle as instructed. It has been over two weeks now but I am worried but something it is just not right. I started seeing nitrites and nitrates after few days of dosing Ammonia but now they stuck at same level and not moving for over a week. Ammonia around 3, Nitrites are around 1, Nitrates 5-6.

I know I have to be patient but knowing that nitrites and nitrates were started to produce means that cycle was started but for some reason it stalled. At the beginning I thought that I overdosed ammonia as it was reading 5-6, so i did 50% water change and now it is sitting at 3. I am dosing bacteria in the bottle too.

My question really is wether I should really be waiting for longer or do something :) I've been in fresh water scene for quite some time and all my tanks would have cycled by this time or at least i would expect seeing some sort of progress.

Second question is about stocking of tank. I know it is long term journey but want to have plan in mind:

I am thinking about: 2 x Clowns - whats the difference between Perculla vs Ocellaris? I know visual differences s i googled but from personal experience which ones would suite my tank
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Hi Fin red banded goby with pistol shrimp
1 x cleaner shrimp

I know i might be pushing but if you think any other fish might fit into tank I would like to know :) maybe Bleny or some other fish

Thank you all for your responses

1616791735826508.jpg IMG_1850.jpeg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finally I filled my tank and trying to cycle it. Added some ammonia and bacteria from the bottle as instructed. It has been over two weeks now but I am worried but something it is just not right. I started seeing nitrites and nitrates after few days of dosing Ammonia but now they stuck at same level and not moving for over a week. Ammonia around 3, Nitrites are around 1, Nitrates 5-6.

I know I have to be patient but knowing that nitrites and nitrates were started to produce means that cycle was started but for some reason it stalled. At the beginning I thought that I overdosed ammonia as it was reading 5-6, so i did 50% water change and now it is sitting at 3. I am dosing bacteria in the bottle too.
Probs just a matter of waiting some more. You are seeing nitrites so that is good, that means there is some ammonia oxidation. It is kinda strange that things can start and stop like that, but hey should be fine. What brand of test kits are you using by the way?
I am thinking about: 2 x Clowns - whats the difference between Perculla vs Ocellaris? I know visual differences s i googled but from personal experience which ones would suite my tank
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Hi Fin red banded goby with pistol shrimp
1 x cleaner shrimp
Wait so is it 150 litres for the display or all up? Your description sounds like 50 x 50 x 60 for just the display? Or are the two tanks of the same size-ish and together adds up to 50 x 50 x 60?

Percula and Ocellaris as far as personality goes seems to be pretty similar. Either/or works. They also grow to similar sizes.

OP
OP
M

Makalas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probs just a matter of waiting some more. You are seeing nitrites so that is good, that means there is some ammonia oxidation. It is kinda strange that things can start and stop like that, but hey should be fine. What brand of test kits are you using by the way?

Wait so is it 150 litres for the display or all up? Your description sounds like 50 x 50 x 60 for just the display? Or are the two tanks of the same size-ish and together adds up to 50 x 50 x 60?

Percula and Ocellaris as far as personality goes seems to be pretty similar. Either/or works. They also grow to similar sizes.
Thank you for response

I use Salifert tests for now. Long term planning to get Hanna chekkers but yet to find out which one work best. I hear good words about low rate Phosphate and Alk testers. Whats your thought?

total water volume is around probably 150 liters, the way i know is only by amount of salt i mixed up for my given gravity. Otherwise theoretical water volume calculated by measuring tank and sump makes no sense as loads of it being displaced by rocks, sand and other stuff.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for response

I use Salifert tests for now. Long term planning to get Hanna chekkers but yet to find out which one work best. I hear good words about low rate Phosphate and Alk testers. Whats your thought?

total water volume is around probably 150 liters, the way i know is only by amount of salt i mixed up for my given gravity. Otherwise theoretical water volume calculated by measuring tank and sump makes no sense as loads of it being displaced by rocks, sand and other stuff.
Sure. Nonetheless, what is your display volume? Even with live rock, we could still estimate whether the stocking you chose should more or less suit the display volume.

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with Seachem prime, Seachem stability, and 2 clownfish, same day. Idk what bacteria you used but not all is built the same. Turbo 900 and dr. Tim’s. Is also good, and it doesn’t hurt the fish.

OP
OP
M

Makalas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with Seachem prime, Seachem stability, and 2 clownfish, same day. Idk what bacteria you used but not all is built the same. Turbo 900 and dr. Tim’s. Is also good, and it doesn’t hurt the fish.
I used Fluval bacteria and bought some other cant remember the name but specifically designed for salt water. I guess Patience is the key hopefully

OP
OP
M

Makalas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think it is bad idea mixing different bacteria from different bottles. I've read somewhere that it might stall cycle but that makes no sense to me especially when you dose ammonia which gives plenty of food

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Fluval bacteria and bought some other cant remember the name but specifically designed for salt water. I guess Patience is the key hopefully
Eh, that’s what they say. Depends on who you ask. The hobby has evolved along with the times. You got those that started their tank the same way I did, and have had the same success as those who waited a month to two months to put fish in. Peoples tanks still have crashed that waited sooooo... lol

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is true display volume as per calculations is 125 liters
Coolio, in that case your live stock selection should be fine. :)
do you guys think it is bad idea mixing different bacteria from different bottles. I've read somewhere that it might stall cycle but that makes no sense to me especially when you dose ammonia which gives plenty of food
You are right, it does not make sense.

I mean microbial interactions are very complex and sometimes you have really antagonistic or synergistic interactions, but generally when there is competition some species may dominate the microbiome and that's generally it. That determines what actual nitrifying species you end up with, but doesn't really have consequences to you. You'd only care that there are effective nitrifiers established, no matter what species. So yeah, while it is intricate and complicated and varies, I don't think mixing different bottled microbe products will really have a major negative effect.

Back