Rot or Aggression?

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all so I noticed about a week maybe 2 weeks back that my Royal Gramma’s tail was damaged, it hasn’t got progressively worse until maybe today it looked a bit more torn possibly, not sure but is this tail rot or another fish nipping him or? I only have a royal gramma, purple fire fish, 2 clowns, and a lawnmower blenny in the tank besides shrimp hermits and snails. None of the other fish have damaged fins at the moment. He’s been in my tank for about a month or 2 now. I don’t think it’s aggression considered he’s currently the most aggressive one in my tank rn. During feedings he’ll dart across the tank and eat as much food as possible before the other fish get to it so I’m not sure what’s going on, any help would be great!

301A915C-D5D2-4788-BC01-94695AC23582.png 021546BD-8FEC-41F2-963A-E3FCF144FCAB.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all so I noticed about a week maybe 2 weeks back that my Royal Gramma’s tail was damaged, it hasn’t got progressively worse until maybe today it looked a bit more torn possibly, not sure but is this tail rot or another fish nipping him or? I only have a royal gramma, purple fire fish, 2 clowns, and a lawnmower blenny in the tank besides shrimp hermits and snails. None of the other fish have damaged fins at the moment. He’s been in my tank for about a month or 2 now. I don’t think it’s aggression considered he’s currently the most aggressive one in my tank rn. During feedings he’ll dart across the tank and eat as much food as possible before the other fish get to it so I’m not sure what’s going on, any help would be great!

301A915C-D5D2-4788-BC01-94695AC23582.png 021546BD-8FEC-41F2-963A-E3FCF144FCAB.jpeg
Any clowns in the tank? This is no doubt aggression and fin nipping by a fellow occupant

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clowns in the tank? This is no doubt aggression and fin nipping by a fellow occupant
I have 2 clowns, the female may be around the same size but the male is def smaller, the female I believe has a internal parasite because I’ll see a short white string on it sometimes so I’m about to start treating that with metro and focus, so she doesn’t really go after other fish atm. Needless to say she also had this when I first got her months ago and then it was gone in a few days.

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a clean piece missing.
Agree with vetteguy53081.
Only one I can think of is my female clown but she’s acting sluggish rn because I believe she has an internal parasite so I’m about to start treating that, that’s the only reason I never suspected her

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 2 clowns, the female may be around the same size but the male is def smaller, the female I believe has a internal parasite because I’ll see a short white string on it sometimes so I’m about to start treating that with metro and focus, so she doesn’t really go after other fish atm. Needless to say she also had this when I first got her months ago and then it was gone in a few days.
As guessed , clown and would be the larger(female) who is territorial. Before assuming fish has internal parasite, do note that is youre feeding her mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or both- the poop will mimic intestinal worm infection but not.
symptoms will be fish eating aggressively but losing weight and getting this with pinched stomach, fading coloration.

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As guessed , clown and would be the larger(female) who is territorial. Before assuming fish has internal parasite, do note that is youre feeding her mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or both- the poop will mimic intestinal worm infection but not.
symptoms will be fish eating aggressively but losing weight and getting this with pinched stomach, fading coloration.
I mainly feed pellets and only once a day and she hasn’t really gone for them much I don’t see much of a pinched stomach or fading coloration either?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I mainly feed pellets and only once a day and she hasn’t really gone for them much I don’t see much of a pinched stomach or fading coloration either?
Not enough in fact inadequate. Add some of the following:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough in fact inadequate. Add some of the following:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely start trying that! A guy at my LFS said to do pellets once a day so that’s all I’ve done

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back