RS Reefer 250 return pump and skimmer pump replacement

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R. I've had a Reefer 250 (65g) since 2017, using the same skimmer and return pump which are finally giving me problems after 5 years.

1) Return pump = Reef Octopus Varios 6
2) Skimmer = Nyos Quantum 120

The return pump keeps locking up every 1-2 months, even after I do a 24 hour vinegar bath and clear everything. I've replaced the fan assembly, but that hasn't helped much. You can power on the controller, feel a slight vibration, then nothing happens. In times past it has blinked off and on, but now nothing happens at all, no blinking, the blue controller lights just stay on.

The skimmer stopped pushing the bubbles up high enough to the collection cup, no matter what adjustments I make.

Basically I am fed up with tinkering with these two pieces, and want to just buy replacements. I am tight on time and money right now.

Can anyone advise on the most economical and easy way out of this?
I see this Nyos pump but not sure if it would work with the Nyos 120 skimmer: https://houseoffins.com/product/nyos-viper-3-0-submersible-aquarium-pump/

If I need to buy an entire new return pump, I just need a basic pump to get me by, no bells and whistles. Hopefully under $300 for both solutions combined. Any help is greatly appreciated here!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a Sicce 3.0 (etc.) pump that will probably suit your needs well. I prefer spending a bit more money on the SDC/controllable version as it usually pays for the difference in electricity savings within 6 months (DC vs. AC).

In terms of the skimmer, Nyos skimmers are an absolute workhorse (I have a 160). There are three (3) adjustments with the Nyos skimmer, so have you tried tweaking all of them? The main tube itself (turning) to adjust the water level, the open/close valve for fine-tuning the water level and the air valve.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a Sicce 3.0 (etc.) pump that will probably suit your needs well. I prefer spending a bit more money on the SDC/controllable version as it usually pays for the difference in electricity savings within 6 months (DC vs. AC).

In terms of the skimmer, Nyos skimmers are an absolute workhorse (I have a 160). There are three (3) adjustments with the Nyos skimmer, so have you tried tweaking all of them? The main tube itself (turning) to adjust the water level, the open/close valve for fine-tuning the water level and the air valve.
Thanks for the suggestion, will look into the Sicce route. As for the skimmer - yes I have tried all. I will break it apart and give it one more thorough cleaning, then readjust all settings.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, will look into the Sicce route. As for the skimmer - yes I have tried all. I will break it apart and give it one more thorough cleaning, then readjust all settings.
Is the Nyos skimmer bubbling (foaming) and actually injecting air? If you can PM me a short video I'd be happy to take a look at it later.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Nyos skimmer bubbling (foaming) and actually injecting air? If you can PM me a short video I'd be happy to take a look at it later.
Sure I would be glad to do that. I just ordered the Syncra Silent 3.0, should be here tomorrow night. I will put the skimmer back in the tank and shoot some video.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun
Installed the Syncra last night, it works great! It is vibrating/noisy a little, so I'm going to work on that. But mission accomplished! 5 year warranty which is nice.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun
Installed the Syncra last night, it works great! It is vibrating/noisy a little, so I'm going to work on that. But mission accomplished! 5 year warranty which is nice.
Excellent - glad to hear. I run the braided hosing on mine which I think amplifies the vibration/noise. From what everyone else is telling me, switching to silicone tubing makes a significant difference.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back