RSM 250 Restore from OMG

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to put off the 75 Gallon Build for several reasons but most of all when I went to get a sump I found on FB Marketplace I found a Red Sea Max 250 for $100.... I felt like that was a pretty decent deal considering all the pumps worked the skimmer pump works and the heater works ( however I am going to replace it ). The lighting however needed help 2 ballast were actually blown apart several of the tombstones were melted, wiring was a mess. Now for the cleanliness of this tank it was a total nightmare.... He told me it had been setting in his yard uncovered for about 2 years. It had snails and all manner of things that had to be cleaned and removed.

As you can see this thing was in horrible condition and it smelled pretty bad as well!!!!!

RMS250_Nasty.jpg

Mostly clean but the lights are fixed and running waiting on new bulbs.
2 Aqua Blue Special
2 Blue Plus
2 Actinic

RMS250 Clean and Ready .jpg

All cleaned up ready for Sand and scape!!! I pick up my rock and Sand this afternoon and then begin the process of cycling the tank.

RMS250 Lights .jpg

So question is the debate as bad in Saltwater Aquariums as it is in fresh as to use bottled bacteria or the "natural method " ( ghost feed or use shrimp and wait 6-10 weeks )
and which do you feel is best this will be my first venture into saltwater?
Also rock curing I have watched several YouTube videos that have shown several methods from again "Natural " (stick in saltwater for up to 2 months until Phosphates are stable) Bleach cure (10:1 mixture for a week to 10 days then several 24 hour rinses until no detectable chlorine) and I wont even get into the acid cure. What is preferred ? I was leaning more on the side of bleach but I am very open to suggestions ..

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to put off the 75 Gallon Build for several reasons but most of all when I went to get a sump I found on FB Marketplace I found a Red Sea Max 250 for $100.... I felt like that was a pretty decent deal considering all the pumps worked the skimmer pump works and the heater works ( however I am going to replace it ). The lighting however needed help 2 ballast were actually blown apart several of the tombstones were melted, wiring was a mess. Now for the cleanliness of this tank it was a total nightmare.... He told me it had been setting in his yard uncovered for about 2 years. It had snails and all manner of things that had to be cleaned and removed.

As you can see this thing was in horrible condition and it smelled pretty bad as well!!!!!

RMS250_Nasty.jpg

Mostly clean but the lights are fixed and running waiting on new bulbs.
2 Aqua Blue Special
2 Blue Plus
2 Actinic

RMS250 Clean and Ready .jpg

All cleaned up ready for Sand and scape!!! I pick up my rock and Sand this afternoon and then begin the process of cycling the tank.

RMS250 Lights .jpg

So question is the debate as bad in Saltwater Aquariums as it is in fresh as to use bottled bacteria or the "natural method " ( ghost feed or use shrimp and wait 6-10 weeks )
and which do you feel is best this will be my first venture into saltwater?
Also rock curing I have watched several YouTube videos that have shown several methods from again "Natural " (stick in saltwater for up to 2 months until Phosphates are stable) Bleach cure (10:1 mixture for a week to 10 days then several 24 hour rinses until no detectable chlorine) and I wont even get into the acid cure. What is preferred ? I was leaning more on the side of bleach but I am very open to suggestions ..
I always use live rock. 150lbs in my ext 170 and 40lbs in my ext 50.
Take a look at Gulf Live Rock
you can get it delivered overnight
To your door.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is that a G1? Have you inspected all the seams? Being in outdoor weather conditions for 2 years…let’s put it this way. You couldn’t pay me to take that tank even if it was indoors for the last 2 years. Good luck, be aware and be cautious

OP
OP
H

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use live rock. 150lbs in my ext 170 and 40lbs in my ext 50.
Take a look at Gulf Live Rock
you can get it delivered overnight
To your door.
I got a pretty good deal on rock from a guy that the owner at my lfs told me about. I ended up with about 90lbs of rock for 70 bucks. he had some really nice pieces that i was able to get the rock is curing now.

OP
OP
H

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a G1? Have you inspected all the seams? Being in outdoor weather conditions for 2 years…let’s put it this way. You couldn’t pay me to take that tank even if it was indoors for the last 2 years. Good luck, be aware and be cautious
I'm not sure how to tell if it is a G1 but all the seams have been tested for about a week with no leaks. Yes the electrical system was in rough shape but fortunately electrical is what I do for a living so no big deal. I am currently replacing the fans for the water cooling fans and adding some blue night LED's for very low night time lighting.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not sure how to tell if it is a G1 but all the seams have been tested for about a week with no leaks. Yes the electrical system was in rough shape but fortunately electrical is what I do for a living so no big deal. I am currently replacing the fans for the water cooling fans and adding some blue night LED's for very low night time lighting.
Ok that’s great to hear. And fortunate you can not only redo the electronics, but upgrade them! Super cool!

OP
OP
H

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well made some more progress today got the lights working the way I wanted well mostly. I would like to have it more blue but that can be fixed by ordering another ATI Blue Plus and getting rid of an Aqua Blue Special. But I am still new at this and I am not sure what lights I need yet or what lights do what.. Heading to the store to get substrate thinking about going Caribsea Fiji Pink I believe 40lbs should work. My rock is almost cured and the aquascpape is to begin shortly (lets see how me gluing rock together work lol ).

Excuse the cloudy water but its brand new and all of the salt has yet to be absorbed lets see how it turns out....

Normal Lights.jpg

Not real sure why it looks like I took this in the light but the lights were off and it wasn't quite this bright. However I am happy with the look so all good....

Night Lights.jpg

OP
OP
H

H-TownMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Scape has been done. Let the cycling start. Probably not the prettiest but I kinda like it lol. Added bacteria for the last 2 days going to get some ammonia in there today so I can start to watch the cycle. Then to add pods and 2 or 3 fish at some point when the cycle has completed.

20240716_073343.jpg

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back