Rtn/ stn????

kstime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, after doing my water change today I noticed that there’s is a part of my new sps that is damaged/ bleaching away. Is this rtn or stn? Or is it caused by a pest or something in the tank picking at the coral?

The coral has been in the tank for 1 week. I don’t recall seeing the damage when buying the coral and I can’t remember when bleaching started as I’m just noticing the problem today (could have been going on for longer, haven’t had the most time to observe my tank recently). The sps has great polyp extension and the color is improving. Recently, there has been some swings in alkalinity but I’m not sure if that’s whats causing the problem. Oh yea and I also recently switched to another brand of salt but the parameters are quite similar

Here are my parameters:
Alkalinity: 9.4
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1320
Nitrates: 15-20
Phosphates: 0.2
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
pH 8.15-8.3

One of the pictures was taken with white light and the other with white and blue, the color of the coral isn’t what it looks like irl though.

EB46AA5A-6F7D-44B3-B556-B13EDC0F7907.jpeg AD73A15F-53CE-49A8-BEB3-2378EB7FF2DE.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kstime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add that I’m more of a sps noob so any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
K

kstime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry! Forgot to add another thing. There’s a good amount of more fragile corals like acroporas in the tank which are thriving. So in theory, if it was a parameter problem, shouldn’t the acros all bleached out first?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it looks like damage to the coral. I would keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. If the coral has only been in the tank for 1 week, it could take a bit for it to acclimate.

OP
OP
K

kstime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it looks like damage to the coral. I would keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. If the coral has only been in the tank for 1 week, it could take a bit for it to acclimate.
Agreed. I know for sure that I’ve accidentally hit the coral a couple times when putting in a isolation box for one of my fish. Thanks for the help!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%

Back