Running 2 Heaters question.

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run 2 heaters plugged into my ApexEL? Should I use something like the Inkbird before the Apex? BRS is telling me I should use an Inkbird into my Apex if not I could ruin the Apex outlets. I'm Confused. Please explain how I should set the temperature to 78 degrees. What is the purpose of having 2 heaters if they both turn on at the same time?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of 2 heaters is that if one fails off you still have some heat in the tank. If one fails on hopefully it is small enough to not cook the tank.

I use a inkbird set to 78.5-79. Then the heaters themselves are set to turn off at 81. I just recently got a apex so I don't have mine hooked to it yet, but I plan on setting it up to turn of at 81 also. I think the point to not having the apex cycle the heaters on and off is to keep from causing the outlet on the eb832 from failing early from constantly cycling on and off. You could also allow the thermostat in the heaters themselves to cycle the heater on and off and just use the apex as a failsafe in case the heater fails.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run 2 heaters plugged into my ApexEL? Should I use something like the Inkbird before the Apex? BRS is telling me I should use an Inkbird into my Apex if not I could ruin the Apex outlets. I'm Confused. Please explain how I should set the temperature to 78 degrees. What is the purpose of having 2 heaters if they both turn on at the same time?
I just have mine plugged into my apex eb832. Just set a temp range of .5-1 degree so it isn’t cycling every 4 minutes.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a huge fan of certain models of Inkbirds (depends if the sensor is replaceable or hardwired), but also it's not an industrial controller. The Ranco's are well respected for being more bulletproof if you had to pick just one - but they are a pain to connect and not remotely controllable. With a few extra protections (plugging into Apex for ex) it probably compares to reliability just with multiple protections.

Two heaters are good, but the failure if you're plugged into a controller or Apex isn't going to matter quite a much. If you have room go for it, if not, it's minor addition of protection IMO.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick is to get two heaters that can just get your tank at the required temperature. Together they will work fast, if one gets stuck on the other will remain off and the tank won't get cooked, if one gets stuck off temperature will be maintained by the other staying on. If both fail on or off at the same time, stuff happens and you need to check and maintain your heaters better/more often the next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 heaters on an Inkbird. I set them to 82. The Inkbird is set to 78.
If they fail off I can tell by the tank thermometer. If they fail on it doesn't matter.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS controller and run 2 300w heaters in it. Then I plug the BRS controller into a Apex, GHL and set the temp range on that outlet just a little wider. I use the BRS controller for primary temp control and the GHL, Apex as secondary/Back up support. That waythe BRS controller takes the punishment of turning on and off a couple dozen times daily and not he powerbar. I may switch that though as the GHL powerbar is built with far higher quality relays. Apex uses 7 amp relays and GHL uses 15 amp relays.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Cobalt Neo-Therm heaters. Can I use these and control the temp with their controller and use the Apex as a backup?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a single finex 300 on a Ranco controller plugged into the apex for backup.

Ranco is set to 78. Apex is set to 80.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a single finex 300 on a Ranco controller plugged into the apex for backup.

Ranco is set to 78. Apex is set to 80.
Is that 80 set to on or off? This is where I get confused.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 80 set to on or off? This is where I get confused.
Ranco is set to turn on at 78 off at 79.
Apex turns off if it gets to 80 before ranco turns off, hasn't happened yet. The Ranco controller is over 10 years old now and not one hiccup.
Apex code
Is set to on
If temp 80 then off

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I run 2 also on a Apex;
1st is set on at 78.5 off at 79.
2nd is set on a 78 off at 79.
Thermometers are both set at 80 incase Apex for some reason didn't switch them off.

Some power conservation (not running way more watts then necssary), backup incase of failure and extra boost to heat for the winter nights when the thermostat is at 65.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you don't use the Heater Control Type with the Apex.
Ranco is set to turn on at 78 off at 79.
Apex turns off if it gets to 80 before ranco turns off, hasn't happened yet. The Ranco controller is over 10 years old now and not one hiccup.
Apex code
Is set to on
If temp 80 then off
So you don't use the Heater Control Type with the Apex.

Attachments

• Capture apex.PNG
    Capture apex.PNG
    359.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I run 2 also on a Apex;
1st is set on at 78.5 off at 79.
2nd is set on a 78 off at 79.
Thermometers are both set at 80 incase Apex for some reason didn't switch them off.

Some power conservation (not running way more watts then necssary), backup incase of failure and extra boost to heat for the winter nights when the thermostat is at 65.
Are you using the Neo-Therms set to 80?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my large tank heaters and chiller on the apex directly. My other tank does not have apex set up, so I use Inkbird to control heaters. About to get a controller to run chiller and heaters for those tanks.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 ranco controllers on different circuits of the house one set to 78 and the other to 76. Each of those have a heater plugged in and set at about 82.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hybrid setup. It's probably easier explained by the configuration, so here's a condensed version.

Neptune EB32 (Apex; On = 77.5, Off = 79.5)
|_Inkbird 306A (set to run between 78°-78.5°)
|_ 1x Schego 300-watt
|_ 1x Schego 300-watt

Neptune EB32 (Apex: On = 76.0, Off = 77.5)
|_ Hygger 500-watt

If the Inkbird fails - the backup Hygger kicks in (and is more than enough for the entire tank). If either of the Schegos fail and end up running for more than 2 hours (which indicates one is struggling to keep up), the Inkbird alarms. And if the temperature drops - the backup Hygger kicks in as needed. And if both Schegos fail - the Hygger takes over permanently.

For all intents and purposes, the outlet to the Inkbird stays on 24/7 and the outlet to the Hygger stays off 24/7, unless emergencies arise (temperature) and then the Apex system takes over. In all instances I get alarms and notifications.

With this setup my system is maintaining an average temperature somewhere between 77.5° and 78°.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hybrid setup. It's probably easier explained by the configuration, so here's a condensed version.

Neptune EB32 (Apex; On = 77.5, Off = 79.5)
|_Inkbird 306A (set to run between 78°-78.5°)
|_ 1x Schego 300-watt
|_ 1x Schego 300-watt

Neptune EB32 (Apex: On = 76.0, Off = 77.5)
|_ Hygger 500-watt

If the Inkbird fails - the backup Hygger kicks in (and is more than enough for the entire tank). If either of the Schegos fail and end up running for more than 2 hours (which indicates one is struggling to keep up), the Inkbird alarms. And if the temperature drops - the backup Hygger kicks in as needed. And if both Schegos fail - the Hygger takes over permanently.

For all intents and purposes, the outlet to the Inkbird stays on 24/7 and the outlet to the Hygger stays off 24/7, unless emergencies arise (temperature) and then the Apex system takes over. In all instances I get alarms and notifications.

With this setup my system is maintaining an average temperature somewhere between 77.5° and 78°.
So your heaters have no thermostat on them right.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of nice setups but I'm still lost. 2 Neo-Therms are set at 78 what is the best setting for my Apex so there is power to the heaters all the time. Sorry for being so stupid.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back