running plumbing thru a wall

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever run plumbing thru a wall to a basement sump, but the wall is only 3-1/2", there is a concrete slab on one side and the kitchen on the other side, so it would have to go in between the studs and thru the bottom floor plate.

Im going to be putting in a new tank after the holidays and would love to run the sump into tne basement, it would only be about a 6ft drop where the shelf would be and this way I can put everything down there and not have to worry about the stand height, as I would have limited space for a sump and skimmer

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a 12" x 12" square hole, and using a hole saw drilled the holes for the PVC to pass through.
Than cap it what a plastic panel like the one below.
You will need to slotted the panel so the PVC looks clean entering into the wall.
I also turned the panel sideways so it flaps down around the PVC.

Hope that helps you.

access-panel-300mm-x-300mm-12-x-12-plastic.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a nice idea, my many question is going thru the floor plate(2x4), so the pipe will be in between the wall.

I like the idea above, as it gives you some working room

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a nice idea, my many question is going thru the floor plate(2x4), so the pipe will be in between the wall.

I like the idea above, as it gives you some working room

Whats size PVC will you be using?
Is it a load bearing wall?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The holes I drilled centered on the 2x4 and did not cut it
completely in half so that wasn't a big deal drilling
the 2x4, just make sure you're not drilling into a floor
joist
that might sit under the 2x4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking 1-1/2 pipe, and its a wall that separates the kitchen from the living room thats below grade. Its a tri level house.

There used to be a iron railing so you could see from the kitchen to the living room, but I took that out years ago and filled it in and dry walled it.

So If I cut the dry wall to expose the cavity, should I just drill a hole 1-3/4" in the sill plate to allow for the 1-1/2" pipe to enter the basement?

The only reason I want to go this route, is for ease of maintenance. Having everything right in the same area and the ro unit and sink would be right in the general area.

Then I could also mount everything like reactors and plumbing on the basement wall.

It wont be till after the holidays but I want to start planning now, so Im not scratching my head when I do it :)

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so If I cut the dry wall to expose the cavity, should I just drill a hole 1-3/4" in the sill plate to allow for the 1-1/2" pipe to enter the basement?

That will work, shouldn't be an problem.

Then I could also mount everything like reactors and plumbing on the basement wall. It wont be till after the holidays but I want to start planning now, so Im not scratching my head when I do it :)

I like your idea of mounting everything in the basement, the easier to access the better!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back