Running PVC through interior wall/garage wall

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a home with an attached garage. The garage is next to my room with the tank, which sits along the wall that borders the garage's wall. I'd like to move my water station out to the garage and run 3 1" PVC pipes to the tank (drain, SW fill, RODI fill). I don't think this will be a difficult project -- drywall and insulation is all that separates the two rooms -- but I'm more concerned about code violations. I'm not handyman but I have to imagine the wall needs a certain amount of fireproofing so I'm curious if running some plastic through the wall would *technically* compromise it from a code standpoint.

Can anyone chime in here with suggestions? Bad idea? Located in CA.

Also there are no cars in my garage or anything else of concern chemically (too small to fit my truck).

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say just cut the hole large enough for the pvc and you should be fine. If you are really that concerned you could cut it larger and pack fire proof insulation around the pipes. The only real code concern is if you plan on selling the house, then I would remove the pvc and patch the holes before putting it on the market.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea and as you say, easy to do. I’m not in CA but should be fine. Only requirement I know of in the Northeast is that the drywall between garage and house needs to be 5/8” vs. 1/2”. Longer time for fire to burn through. Check with your town’s building inspector.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have numerous holes in my exterior walls to do the same thing. One for draining the tank and one for new water.
There really is no code violation (yes, even in CA) as homes do not have fire code barrier requirements as strict as commercial. Think about all the wiring, vents, and plumbing that you currently have that penetrates the walls...
And others have said, do what you want and need to do. When you go to sell the house, just pull the PVC and patch the wall. No harm - no foul!

mottomegl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have numerous holes in my exterior walls to do the same thing. One for draining the tank and one for new water.
There really is no code violation (yes, even in CA) as homes do not have fire code barrier requirements as strict as commercial. Think about all the wiring, vents, and plumbing that you currently have that penetrates the walls...
And others have said, do what you want and need to do. When you go to sell the house, just pull the PVC and patch the wall. No harm - no foul!
I build homes and yes there is a national code this not a state code it is a national code and any penetrations meaning wire or pipe or any hole through a wall ceiling or floor that goes from one floor to another floor or from a garage must be sealed with a approved fire stop material but if the hole goes through the exterior of your house you don't have to follow that code cause that is a weather penetration and if you want to let the exterior weather and insects in it is your business

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know about CA but we use these in MI

for fire wall penetrations (the wall shared by your garage and house is (should be) a fire rated wall. This is often found where the pvc venting for the heating system exits the home on one end of attached condos when several vents cross through multiple dwellings.

Not an expert.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Gotta love how confusing this stuff can be lol. I've been doing a lot of work renovating my home and sometimes I get different answers to the same questions from the city. It can be frustrating at times! Especially when you have the inspector over to check out the 80 holes in your walls from a repipe and they nag you on a fire alarm :)

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's on the same wall you can just use a large 4' PVC chase pipe and pull tubing through it. All depends on your installation and the wall. A chase pipe will allow you to make changes with little effort. Just keep some string in it so you can pull something else through it if you want in the future. Drywall is easy to patch when you sell it. There is probably insulation to contend with as well. A chase tube will allow you to pull low voltage lines and top off lines as well as tubing for the pump. It all depends on how far things will have to be run. Make your chase tube as large as you can fit. It makes future upgrades easier.

Building code is a whole new ball game. Lots of rules with garages. However I don't think you are pulling a permit and you said you don't keep autos in the garage. I would still make it air tight by packing both ends with insulation you can pull out if needed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back