Running the skimmer while Dosing

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone run their skimmer while dosing the tank? I have a mixed reef currently dosing Kalk at night but recently started dosing ATI Essentials PRO in the AM/PM.

Wondering if its best to turn off my skimmer at least an hour after each dose to make sure the skimmer doesn't pull out the good stuff or does it even matter. Currently my tank is on an Apex A3.

Thanks!

Salty-

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i leave skimmer on, and slightly increase dosage to compensate. when it comes down to kalk(i don't dose this), i would assume precise dosing is done. i don't believe i've read of people shutting their skimmers off whilst dosing kalk. turning skimmer off would likely lower ph which could alter your kalk dosing (if you base it on PH and not ALK)

OP
OP
saltcreep74

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i leave skimmer on, and slightly increase dosage to compensate. when it comes down to kalk(i don't dose this), i would assume precise dosing is done. i don't believe i've read of people shutting their skimmers off whilst dosing kalk. turning skimmer off would likely lower ph which could alter your kalk dosing (if you base it on PH and not ALK)
Excellent advice...thank you...by slightly increasing the dose, what percentage increase would you say? 5-10% ?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Excellent advice...thank you...by slightly increasing the dose, what percentage increase would you say? 5-10% ?
again, i don't dose kalk so i wouldn't know what estimates to provide. if you mean regarding other dosing of elements, then yes, 5-10% would be an adequate start. regarding kalk, it depends on PH or ALK.

@Randy Holmes-Farley any thoughts?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back