Sad Bubble Tip Anemone

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looking for advice for my recently added BTA. Looked good for about a week... Now, not so good.

I recently found out that my nitrates have crept up to around 20. So, I did a big water change, cleaned the sump, and started dosing NOPOX.

Does this look like he's unhappy because of nitrates at 20? Temp, ALK, Calc, Mag, Salinity are all consistent and in good ranges.

Is he a goner?

VZM.IMG_20161021_185547.jpg

20161103_190456.jpg

diablo243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless he is spitting his guts out his mouth he may just be laying low. Lot of factors can come into play, but he looks fine just not happy. Get your nitrates under control and watch him. If you see his mouth gapping and crap coming out of him get worried. For now just watch him, maybe try to feed him something small. Good luck

OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, things are looking worse. it looks like it's about to detach from the rock. going to do a big water change and replenish the carbon in reactor. I'm scared he's going to detach and then get chopped up.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of going through the same thing. 3 weeks in myself. Not due to nitrates, honestly unsure of why. I have been feeding bits of mysis the last few days instead of every 3 to help him out a bit. (He was hiding in a cave so wasn't much light for him to live off of). He's come out now and appears to be slowly coming around. The most stressful and time consuming critter I've added to date in my year old reef. Lol. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how he looks this morning. After 4 days of NOPOX and a big water change nitrates and phosphates are down to about 5 and .03 ..... He doesn't look good.

20161106_105628.jpg

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to agree not looking too well. Idk if too far gone or if feasible to recoup. Dealing with my first bta as well. Wish had more input for ya. Best wishes.

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how he looks this morning. After 4 days of NOPOX and a big water change nitrates and phosphates are down to about 5 and .03 ..... He doesn't look good.

20161106_105628.jpg

Mine sometimes looked like that. He would always bounce back though.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you've already done some water changes on the tank and it's looking worse, it may not be nutrients. I have seen BTAs thrive in some high nutrient environments before. Consider removing the anemone and treating it in a hospital tank with the antibiotic ciprofloxacin (250 mg in a 10 gal tank). For whatever reason I have found the purple based BTAs to be an especially temperamental strain. It looks more like the anemone is sick than anything else. It could bounce back, but I would guess it's on it's way out if not treated soon.

OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, here's what it looks like now... looks like the foot is peeling off.... I can setup my temporary qt tonight but I wouldn't have good lighting for it right away.... what do I do?

20161107_183934.jpg

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone appears to already be severely bleached, going a day without a light on it probably won't be the nail in the coffin. I would get it into it's own tank with a heater and some gentle flow. Might be good to also use some newer water that's not from the DT.

If you have access to cipro, I would start treatment on the anemone ASAP. It's easily dissolved in water when you rub it between your fingers. I usually get 250 mg pills or 500 mg pills and split one of those in half and dissolve it into a 10 gallon tank of water in high flow. I will set the anemone in there with a heater and an air stone or small powerhead that is protected so the anemone can't get sucked into it. Cipro breaks down in light, so I treat the anemone at night when lights are off.

I'll do a water change the next day and repeat for a week until the treatment period has completed (don't end early or you may create a antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria). You can get cipro from any pharmacy same day if you have a prescription from a doctor or vet. If you have a vet then they may write you a prescription if you explain the situation. You can also order it online, but since time is of the essence, I would try to get your hands on some quick. I've been able to save several anemones and my friends Colorado Sunburst anemone with this treatment, so there;es a good chance it'll help you if it's not too late.

OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So check this out... the BTA went on the move and nestled into the bottom of my large hammer coral. might have ticked off the bottom 2 heads. UGGGGHHH! The thing is it looks like its really dug in and likes this spot even though it doesn't get any light. I think I can pry off the rubble rock that the hammer is on so this can just be the BTA's piece of rubble. Craziness.

20161110_204533.jpg

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had trouble with BTAs also so I would live to know whats going on with this...

OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it didn't end well for that poor guy. Never got any better. Good news is I tried 1 more a couple months later and it seems to be doing very well. The first night it settle into a spot away from any direct flow. Not sure what happened to the first one though...

20170506_211905.jpg

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad. Good luck with this one.

I have tried BTAs several times and sometimes they are great for many months and then just shrivel up to the size of a quarter and start moving around nonstop and ver come back. I have seen them stay like that for over a year, never open up that I see. Other times they never stop moving ever and eventually fade.

Water params are always good, tanks been up for about 4 years. I always think its possible that my lights are too strong (I'm running radion's at about 50% in a 75 gal) but these things never just go into a spot where they can regulate their light exposure like under a crevice...always stop moving on the top of the rocks in the highest point in the tank which seems strange. flow always seems like it is good.

Who knows...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back