Safety advice for reef tanks

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been reading about the potential dangers to caring for a reef tank and i have read about palytoxins and Mycobacterium marinum. These are things I will worry about because I am OCD and can’t help it. If anyone has advice on how to safely care for a tank without having to worry about these things it would be much appreciated! Also do all corals have palytoxins or just zooanthids? I don’t want to own any corals that could potentially kill myself or my room mates. Are there any other things to worry about with a reef tank? I plan to buy some gloves and tongs next time I go to walmart.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been reading about the potential dangers to caring for a reef tank and i have read about palytoxins and Mycobacterium marinum. These are things I will worry about because I am OCD and can’t help it. If anyone has advice on how to safely care for a tank without having to worry about these things it would be much appreciated! Also do all corals have palytoxins or just zooanthids? I don’t want to own any corals that could potentially kill myself or my room mates. Are there any other things to worry about with a reef tank? I plan to buy some gloves and tongs next time I go to walmart.
Only certain zooanthids have it and it's not like they are just all of a sudden gonna make the water toxic and kill everyone lol. They will release it when stressed though. Just handle them with care and wear gloves, no worries.

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only certain zooanthids have it and it's not like they are just all of a sudden gonna make the water toxic and kill everyone lol. They will release it when stressed though. Just handle them with care and wear gloves, no worries.
Thanks, I don’t think I want zooanthids anymore because of this though just Incase. Do you know if any other corals can potentially produce toxins like this as well?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I don’t think I want zooanthids anymore because of this though just Incase. Do you know if any other corals can potentially produce toxins like this as well?
Not to my knowledge. Only thing im aware of that can be harmful like that are zoas and palythoas which are basically same family of coral.

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the valuable information bud
On a more serious note. I used to be agoraphobic, and still have to some extent ocd. If theres one thing a saltwater tank has taught me. It is to just be quiet, and be patient. It is in my nature to constantly check, and adjust stuff etc. Well doing that harms a saltwater tank. So if anything its helped me a lot. In terms of zoas and poisonous corals. Dont give in to your crazy mind. Handle them safely, and all is well. Zoas could kill you sure, but so could a meteor striking you in the face while you take a bath.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalSauce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks!

The good thing is the toxins are self contained right? So it's not going to poison your home, unless you live in the tank, right? If you handle anything, organic or inorganic, you wash your hands after to prevent cross contamination, right? Not going to play with your dog, and then cook dinner without washing your hands, right? Same with handling anything that goes in or out of your tank? You don't want to contaminant anything going into the tank; same with after handling everything in the tank.

No reason to stress or worry about endangering anyone. All is well in the world.

Thats why the other guys posts are funny, bc if you dont analyze your situation and just react; you'll end up with thoughts that crazy..

I hope this response helps.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,just use caution handle all corals,wash hands good after,beware of open cuts and scratches on self ,a torch or hammer will sting the heck out of you ,just be careful and enjoy :cool:

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing is the toxins are self contained right? So it's not going to poison your home, unless you live in the tank, right? If you handle anything, organic or inorganic, you wash your hands after to prevent cross contamination, right? Not going to play with your dog, and then cook dinner without washing your hands, right? Same with handling anything that goes in or out of your tank? You don't want to contaminant anything going into the tank; same with after handling everything in the tank.

No reason to stress or worry about endangering anyone. All is well in the world.

Thats why the other guys posts are funny, bc if you dont analyze your situation and just react; you'll end up with thoughts that crazy..

I hope this response helps.
Well also as a person who had some serious ocd/anxiety. It is best to more or less ignore it, and make yourself as uncomfortable as possible. You do it enough it lightens up a lot.

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well also as a person who had some serious ocd/anxiety. It is best to more or less ignore it, and make yourself as uncomfortable as possible. You do it enough it lightens up a lot.
Agreed i try to practice this but I definitely need to get into some therapy. Glad to know I don’t need to worry too much about toxins though.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask, because in all my years I've never actually heard of it happening, has anyone actually heard, first hand, of this happening to someone?? I'm certainly not denigrating the OP at all, I have my own OCD issues. I'm just honestly wondering if this has actually ever happened?

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed i try to practice this but I definitely need to get into some therapy. Glad to know I don’t need to worry too much about toxins though.
Thats what im talking about hell yes brother. Now make sure if you do get poisoned you got it from holding some sweet sweet grandmaster kraks, and or stratospheres.

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask, because in all my years I've never actually heard of it happening, has anyone actually heard, first hand, of this happening to someone?? I'm certainly not denigrating the OP at all, I have my own OCD issues. I'm just honestly wondering if this has actually ever happened?
I’d like to know as well, I only heard about this from a couple YouTube videos and one news source saying a man died from boiling his zooanthids (obviously not smart)

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never known anyone. Ive also heard its only the dull brown massive palys that have it. The colorful rare stuff we collect doesnt tend to be poisonous, and or nearly as poisonous.

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to know as well, I only heard about this from a couple YouTube videos and one news source saying a man died from boiling his zooanthids (obviously not smart)
No he didnt die. Apparently he was just vomiting like a Doberman pinscher for a few hours.

Back