OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never known anyone. Ive also heard its only the dull brown massive palys that have it. The colorful rare stuff we collect doesnt tend to be poisonous, and or nearly as poisonous.
Local fish store has some massive brown palys in their coral tank. Probably won’t buy coral from them anyways as they have a small not very colorful collection.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin: don't boil your rock, don't treat it with acid, if you absolutely must sterilize something, use bleach, which will denature the palytoxin. Or just...don't have zoanthids. Non-palytoxin coral allelopathic chemicals can be removed by running the water through carbon and using a skimmer.

Mycobacterium marinum: wear gloves. Just wear gloves. And Wear Your Gloves. You most likely won't be able to prevent it from entering the tank, but wearing gloves (the thick kind, not the surgery kind) will prevent you from getting cuts. And if you have an open wound on your hand/fingers/arm, don't work in the aquarium. And please don't suck on the hose to start a siphon.

I feel you on the OCD/anxiety. I've heard good things about cbd, other anti-anxiety meds, and cognitive behavioral therapy (what I do right now) as well!

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin: don't boil your rock, don't treat it with acid, if you absolutely must sterilize something, use bleach, which will denature the palytoxin. Or just...don't have zoanthids. Non-palytoxin coral allelopathic chemicals can be removed by running the water through carbon and using a skimmer.

Mycobacterium marinum: wear gloves. Just wear gloves. And Wear Your Gloves. You most likely won't be able to prevent it from entering the tank, but wearing gloves (the thick kind, not the surgery kind) will prevent you from getting cuts. And if you have an open wound on your hand/fingers/arm, don't work in the aquarium. And please don't suck on the hose to start a siphon.

I feel you on the OCD/anxiety. I've heard good things about cbd, other anti-anxiety meds, and cognitive behavioral therapy (what I do right now) as well!
Thanks this post helps a lot!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
treat all zoas and palys alike,do not touch eyes or mouth until hands are clean "bleach" is good ,would use ater fragging,yes i have had to go to dr for it in the eyes 2x :rolleyes: other two he just prescribed the drops,burns eyes pretty bad ,just don't let it happen:)

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry more about infection from cuts in your hands going into the tank. As for palytaxin the most toxic palys are the uglies ones. Don't buy the cheapo green and browns

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back